Snapped a screw head - Drill extractor set? | Page 5 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Snapped a screw head - Drill extractor set?

Lots of meat there to work with (y) but you need to get better at working the tools.

... if you are drilling from the opposite side just go straight to a centre drill, it weill cut.
and don't crank the drill up to high speed a drill can only drill as fast as the leading edge on the drill bit can shave away material!

Last edited:
You're NOT going to able to drill it from the other side, there isn't enough room to get a drill in there. You will drill into it on an angle... you've already made enough of a mess....

Aforementioned 90 degree drill attachment will make it possible, but as was also mentioned, it could be hard to get enough pressure on the bit that way.

716WJCELTDL._SX425_.jpg

Uhmmmmm
OP didn't have as much as a twist drill yesterday, but today he has a right angle drill?

... and those things are notoriously hard to steer.

You can probably rent a serious nice right angle electric drill from your local rental place.

Uhmmmmm
OP didn't have as much as a twist drill yesterday, but today he has a right angle drill?

... and those things are notoriously hard to steer.

It's amazing what you can order overnight from Amazon.

I don't disagree on hard to steer however, but just tossing it out there as someone else mentioned it was impossible.

I'd try to work from the outside still at this point, for sure. Centre punch the bejesus out of what's left and go at it progressively as I mentioned.

shopping
I think I could steer that pretty good with a short bit in it.

You're NOT going to able to drill it from the other side, there isn't enough room to get a drill in there. You will drill into it on an angle... you've already made enough of a mess.....

I think your solution now is to get someone to fill weld the hole, then drill and tap a new hole.

I bought a right angle drill from (ahem) Princess Auto for 40 bucks. Used it once - carefully with high quality drill bit(s) and managed the task.

Given the lack of success to this point, maybe your suggestion is his best approach.

Ultimately...what turns the drill bit at this point is pretty irrelevant...so yeah, something cheap from Princess Auto will get the job done.

The part that needs to be high quality is the actual drill bits themselves, however.

But where can I get good bits from??
(I rather buy it from someplace I can walk in a get it, not online)

I'd take it to a shop that can mig weld a bolt to the stud.

I'd take it to a shop that can mig weld a bolt to the stud.

It's broken below flush. Cant wend to what you can't access. Even if they try to use a smaller bolt there would be a risk of ending up accidentally welding it all to the frame in the end, and a smaller bolt may not have the strength to turn it out in the end anyways.

looks like you're just going to have to keep drilling, sburns
if you've managed to get what you have started centered
just keep going progressively up in bit sizes
eventually what's left of the bolt you will be able pick out of the threads

I'd give up on the extractors, getting one broken off in the hole is a very bad deal
find some decent cobalt drills, and while buying them, get yourself a tap
take your time, don't smoke the bits, 10 seconds of drilling, then dip in oil

Atlas Machinery or the equivalent out your way. Search Industrial Tool supply near you.

I do have a decent stock of Industrial HSS Drill bits in a full range of sizes passed down to me from my dad who worked in the trades (not CTC bits @bitzz) that were mfg in the UK and USA. You’re welcome to borrow them if you don’t end up buying what you need.

I have a set of taps too if you need them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You could try these guys:

Busy Bee Tools - Woodworking Tools, Metalworking Tools, Power Tools at factory direct prices.

They have multiple locations. Give them a call.

Busy Bee only sells Chineseium. They're high end stuff still comes from the orient, making it over priced.
Busy Bee is for the home hobbyist... and mostly woodworking tools.

OP: see my post #39

Here is a primer on hole making

... and for all yous that say keep drilling: Have you missed the part where OP broke the extractor off in the hole?
Sorry guys, this job requires something you guys don't have: experience. EXPERIENCE tells me that when OP tries to drill with a hand drill, when he hits that extractor the drill WILL skate off and make an oval-ed mess. IF OP could mount this piece on a drill press or a mill it would still be hard, if not impossible, to drill out that extractor.

At this point:
1) EDM it out
or
2) Weld up the hole and start anew
or
3) Heat the crap out of it, till it's red hot and BASH the bolt and extractor out

Drilling it out at this point IS NOT going to happen

I have spent more time and effort typing that it would take to fix this.

why not just ask him?
OP, is the other part of that broken extractor jammed in the bolt?

... after some consideration:
4) Make a drill jig, using the other mounting holes to locate it

You're falling behind on the 2019 Ontario GTA Photo Tag contest. You better head over to The Reasonably Priced Used Motorcycles for Sale Thread and get a back-up ride.

If I was in this spot right now, I'd consider grinding a slot into the face with a small dremel cut off wheel. Would nick the frame but possible there's enough meat there not to be an issue. At least might be able to get the broken extractor out with a slot.

Last edited:
why not just ask him?
OP, is the other part of that broken extractor jammed in the bolt?
Yup. it's stuck in the bolt, this is why I am thinking to try from the other side.

Back
Top Bottom