Small SUVs who has them and opinions | GTAMotorcycle.com

Small SUVs who has them and opinions

GVH

Do to my 85 year old mom having a new hip on January, heart attack in may and now a stroke In July she has mobility issue’s now. She needs a walker. She will be having rehab 2-3 times a week outpatient and happily they took her license. I didn’t want the fight. My regular cab ranger is a good height but not a good fit for the job. Her 2015 civic is a struggle in and out to low.

I have sat in a 2015 Toyota Rav 4, 2017 Nissan rouge and qashqai and going to look at 2013 plus CRV. Also looking at the ford maverick and Toyota Corolla Cross but more money as only new And waiting times to get.

I want awd , automatic and at 6 foot and 260 lb ish roomy. Plus must be able to tow a basic 4x8. Trailer.

So who has or had what and how was is it. I put appreciated.

On the mom side note. Was playing 18 holes of golf after heart attack now walking good with a walker, speech is good but needs work, remembers everything before and after. Kicking a#$ at cribbage but do to loosing left side vision in both eyes and something is the brain a 9 piece toddlers puzzle takes 20 minutes if at all.

Personally, I'd look at mini vans. Will the small SUV's hold a wheelchair?

Currently in a 2021 Nissan Rogue.
I'm only 5'6 but have had family who are around 6 foot and 250lbs and had no issues getting in and out. The drivers sear is very roomy as well as the back and trunk space.

Pervious car was a 2017 Rogue and I did not like driving that thing. Didn't like the transmission but I actually enjoy driving the new one.

Even have a 2" hitch on the back of it. Although the hitch mount does seem to sit low but I don't use it often enough for it to be a problem. The odd cargo carrier or towing of the boat.

If you are near the Halton area, you are more than welcome to come by and check it out.

All the best in your search and more importantly with your moms health.

Personally, I'd look at mini vans. Will the small SUV's hold a wheelchair?
Minivans have so much more space than SUV's it's not funny. My wife is looking forward to a vehicle replacement in a few years so she can get a minivan. She drives a lot less now so she can ditch her previous requirement for awd.

We have a 2018 Odyssey and it's fantastic. Lots of space, and lots of comfort, albeit quite large for your needs.

Mom has a Nissan Qashqai and she loves it. GTAM, and Reddit, hate on Nissans all day long but my parents have had them since 1988 and outside of me practically writing off 2 of them...no real major issues to speak of.

We had a 2012 Rogue...good car, with no major issues but the CVT is garbage.

Buddy has a 2015 (or whenever the new style came) Rogue and has put 400-500k on it within 5 years with minimal issues outside of maintenance and regular oil changes.

RAV4 / CRV you can't go wrong.

Cousins' mom (similar condition to yours with hips etc) has the Buick Encore (?) and she loves it.

All the best to your mom.

I'd say any of them will tow a 4x8 trailer...if my Volt can tow it...those can tow it.

Minivans have so much more space than SUV's it's not funny. My wife is looking forward to a vehicle replacement in a few years so she can get a minivan. She drives a lot less now so she can ditch her previous requirement for awd.
If it was up to me the family car would be a minivan.

Cargo wise.
You can often fit more into a station wagon than most SUV's.

I have a Subaru Outback 3.6L.
The 4 cyl is underpowered.
Comes prewired for a hitch.

I agree with @Baggsy , it seems a minivan would be the perfect fit.

@Wingboy went through something very similar recently. Taco and civic out, rav in.

Wishing your mom luck in her recovery.
Oh how i wish i could give some feedback. I bought the 2019 Rav because it's rated as one of the best for passengers with mobility issues. I even put a Braun Turney seat in it. Sadly Sue never even saw it.

@GVH
Should you go with the previous model Rogue. I have a 2" hitch available fot it.

As well as for a Current style Dodge caravan should you go that route.

I'd say any of them will tow a 4x8 trailer...if my Volt can tow it...those can tow it.
Maybe. Lots of the small ones are rated for zero. Even some of the not small ones. Inlaws CRV and Venza are both rated for zero pounds towing. They want you to buy a pilot or highlander to tow a utility trailer.

Maybe. Lots of the small ones are rated for zero. Even some of the not small ones. Inlaws CRV and Venza are both rated for zero pounds towing. They want you to buy a pilot or highlander to tow a utility trailer.

I researched the hitch options on the civic. A decent looking hitch. Dam cars so slow already no chance towing. The rav4 and crv would work ok. No rush. She has agreed to move into an retirement home for 3-6 months then a 2 bedroom apartment My sister and I don’t see her living alone ever again. At least she’s out of the 3200 sq foot 3 story house with 2 winding staircases. Once sold loads of furniture to ditch.

I researched the hitch options on the civic. A decent looking hitch. Dam cars so slow already no chance towing. The rav4 and crv would work ok. No rush. She has agreed to move into an retirement home for 3-6 months then a 2 bedroom apartment My sister and I don’t see her living alone ever again. At least she’s out of the 3200 sq foot 3 story house with 2 winding staircases. Once sold loads of furniture to ditch.
If she's capable of a decent level of self care and she can find a nice retirement home that hasn't regressed to being full of zombies without the required support, other than the brutal cost, it can be a great way to live. Lots of people, lots of activities, show up for food, no cooking or cleaning required. Sadly, many retirement homes aren't pushing out those that need more care (or can't push out, I don't know which one). If you are decent mentally and sit at a zombie table, you aren't happy or engaged and don't last long.

For someone older the ground clearance on a small CUV makes sense ....

2000s Sienna - holy crap I can fit just about anything and it keeps running and running. Very boring and utilitarian
2018+ mazda cx-5 2.5L - Was able to stuff a King Size mattress into this vehicle, wish it had more rear leg seat room and omph to it. Gas mileage meh
2020+ mazda cx-30 2.5L - why the heck did they not buy a mid-size sedan for the price of this thing!?!?

I was in a similar situation in Europe and I became the regular driver bringing my grandmother to family events because she could easily get in and out of my Nissan Juke. She barely had to bend her knees.

Getting her in was a matter of walking half a meter backwards from chair to car door, while holding her under the shoulders she would drop a bit and then I could rotate her so she is looking forward in the car. Getting her out was pretty much the same process in reverse.

The seat height of small SUVs is perfect for this. Floor clearance just means helping them get their feet in when their body weight is already on the seat.

If she's capable of a decent level of self care and she can find a nice retirement home that hasn't regressed to being full of zombies without the required support, other than the brutal cost, it can be a great way to live. Lots of people, lots of activities, show up for food, no cooking or cleaning required. Sadly, many retirement homes aren't pushing out those that need more care (or can't push out, I don't know which one). If you are decent mentally and sit at a zombie table, you aren't happy or engaged and don't last long.
This one has one floor that is full help with own café area. Three regular floors. She had to be assessed by the head nurse who decides

Need something like the Scion xB. Built for teens but became the car of the retirees because of how easy the seats were to get in and out of. I think of the Kia Soul as the new xB.

For the love of god don't buy a Nissan. Or a Chevy Trax (Buick Encore) - my parents have one and its a piece.

My brother and sister (77 and 80 respectively) both have Kia Souls and they love them...my mom was in a wheelchair before she passed and when I bought my Elantra, I took her with me...her folding wheelchair fit nicely in the back and she was able to transfer into the front seat quite easily...I preferred the Elantra, but the Soul would have worked nicely too...

Back
Top Bottom