Sleepy Joe cancels vaccines for export . | GTAMotorcycle.com

Sleepy Joe cancels vaccines for export .

Not sure if the link works . Here it is .

President Joe Biden plans to uphold the U.S. policy of guaranteeing that Americans will be inoculated first before the country shares its shots, despite requests for co-operation from Canada.

A Pfizer plant in Michigan was supposed to help supply vaccines to Canada. But an exclusivity deal with the U.S. government guarantees that all of its American-made doses will stay in the country until Washington’s orders are filled. Moderna has a similar arrangement regarding its plant in New Hampshire.

These contracts mean Canada has had to source vaccines from Belgium and Switzerland, leading to shortages that have thwarted Ottawa’s vaccination drive.

A U.S. government official briefed on the White House’s vaccine rollout plans said the Biden administration has no interest in sharing U.S.-produced vaccines with Canada or any other country before all Americans have received the shots.

“It’s important that our global community is healthy,” White House press secretary Jen Psaki told a briefing this week. “But we’re going to focus first on ensuring the American people are vaccinated.”

We were late to learn the lesson that we’re on our own for vaccines

Now we know why we need a vaccine industry in Canada

The White House’s continuing vaccine protectionism means Ottawa cannot look to the U.S. for help as it struggles to inoculate Canadians – despite the accession of a more Canada-friendly administration in Washington.

These cross-border frustrations are indicative both of the rockier-than-expected start to Canada’s relationship with the new U.S. President, and of the country’s structural disadvantages in the race to vaccinate.

Mr. Biden also has not overturned a Dec. 8 executive order by former president Donald Trump that confirmed the promise in the Pfizer and Moderna contracts to fill U.S. contracts before exporting doses.

The U.S. government source said there are currently no plans to overturn that order. The Globe and Mail granted the official anonymity because they were not permitted to disclose the internal deliberations.

In November, Pfizer told The Globe and Mail that Canada would receive doses from the Michigan plant. But in January, the company said those plans had changed. On Thursday, Pfizer said it would continue supplying Canada solely from Belgium.

Early shipments have been beset by delays, with a 56-per-cent cut to deliveries from Pfizer over five weeks and a yet-to-be confirmed cut to shipments from Moderna this month. The result has forced provinces and territories to slow down inoculations for some of the country’s most vulnerable: people in long-term care, remote Indigenous communities and front-line health care staff.

Pfizer and Moderna have both attributed the slowdown to challenges ramping up production. But their deliveries to the U.S. have not been affected.

Both companies are headquartered in the United States and the Trump administration plowed billions into the development of the Moderna vaccine through Operation Warp Speed. The U.S. is spending up to $5.29-billion for the development and purchase of 200 million doses from Moderna. On Pfizer, the U.S. spent about $24.80 a dose. Canada has not released any information about how much it is paying.

The agreements with the United States were the first Moderna signed, the company’s country manager for Canada Patricia Gauthier said in a statement to The Globe. The U.S. has the option to buy up to 500 million total doses.

“Moderna would be unable to sell doses from the U.S. production line while the options are still in force without violating its obligations under the terms of the contract,” Ms. Gauthier said.

The U.S. has distributed nearly 60 million shots, according to data from the Centers for Disease Control. This is 50 times the number distributed in Canada, which has a population roughly one-tenth that of the U.S.

The bilateral vaccine drama mirrors a similar situation in Europe. In that case, AstraZeneca has an exclusivity deal giving Britain first dibs on doses from British-based plants, much to the consternation of the vaccine-starved European Union.

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau’s office would not answer directly when asked whether he or his government had requested that the White House allow Canada to access U.S.-made doses. The Canadian embassy in Washington did not respond to similar questions.

But summaries of Mr. Trudeau’s calls with Mr. Biden and Vice-President Kamala Harris suggest that he did ask for help. A Prime Minister’s Office summary of Mr. Trudeau’s Jan. 22 discussion with the U.S. President said the pair “discussed collaboration on vaccines.” The PMO summary of the Monday call with Ms. Harris said Mr. Trudeau raised “access to vaccines” in the chat.

Procurement Minister Anita Anand also spoke recently with Jeff Zients, whom Mr. Biden has assigned to lead his government’s response to COVID-19.

The Prime Minister is scheduled to meet with the President this month. It has not yet been decided whether the sit-down will take place in person or via video-conference.

Mr. Biden favours international engagement and free trade, in contrast with the economic nationalism of Mr. Trump. But this did not stop the new President from cancelling the Keystone XL pipeline on his first day in office without informing Mr. Trudeau before news of his impending announcement leaked in the media. Mr. Biden is also looking to tighten “Buy American” procurement rules.

Jay Kaufman, an epidemiologist at McGill University, pointed to the U.S.’s numerous advantages on vaccines: extensive manufacturing within its borders, the world’s wealthiest economy and the investment in Moderna’s development efforts. “Given all of these structural and political factors, I can’t see that Canada has a lot of leverage here,” he said.

Still, Prabhat Jha, an epidemiologist at the University of Toronto, contended that Canada could have begun building vaccine production capacity early in the pandemic. He also said Ottawa could have streamlined its process for approving new vaccines to quickly give Canada more options. Canada, for instance, has still not approved AstraZeneca’s vaccine. “The Canadian government shot itself a bit in the foot,” he said.

Know what is happening in the halls of power with the day’s top political headlines and commentary as selected by Globe editors (subscribers only). Sign up today.

Odd...."sleepy" Joe seems unusually active. I'm confused, which is it?

Has he golfed yet?
LOL golf is too long of a game . He would fall asleep by the second hole . If he made it that far .

He is active signing executive orders . I doubt he know even what he is signing . Nothing like a democratic process to rule .

LOL golf is too long of a game . He would fall asleep by the second hole . If he made it that far .

He is active signing executive orders . I doubt he know even what he is signing . Nothing like a democratic process to rule .

You seem to be getting your news from children's TV networks...he's been very active fulfilling policy promises he made while campaigning.

Again, is he sleepy or busy fulfilling his promises? I'm still confused by your statement? It almost seems like you don't have a clue what you're talking about and are just parroting right wing facebook talking points but I'm sure that can't be it.

I have no issue with this. Yes it sucks that we can't get vaccines but I blame our own leadership and the fact we have nothing in this country to even produce our own. Biden, Trump, any President should be looking after their people first and I know I would not be happy if we had not vaccinated Canadians first and we were sending them off elsewhere.

He's had his '63 Vette since new. Even though he's not allowed to drive on public roads, he loves doing burnouts.

Screenshot_20210205-121308_Samsung Internet.jpg

It's so good to see that we're going to follow the state's model of basing politics on name calling and high school style popularity contests.
As for the vaccine, the states poured billions of dollars into developing a vaccine quickly. I'd imagine many of the taxpayers in the US would prefer to get the vaccine before they start exporting it. Why would Canadians expect anything different?

Sent from my Redmi 7A using Tapatalk

I think the story would be different if they had one of the lowest infection rates in the world but they don’t.

You seem to be getting your news from children's TV networks...he's been very active fulfilling policy promises he made while campaigning.

Again, is he sleepy or busy fulfilling his promises? I'm still confused by your statement? It almost seems like you don't have a clue what you're talking about and are just parroting right wing facebook talking points but I'm sure that can't be it.
I

I know you are confused . The three masks you are wearing are preventing oxygen from getting to your brain .

What work is he really doing using a pen to sign executive orders . Does he even know what he is signing ?

It's so good to see that we're going to follow the state's model of basing politics on name calling and high school style popularity contests.
As for the vaccine, the states poured billions of dollars into developing a vaccine quickly. I'd imagine many of the taxpayers in the US would prefer to get the vaccine before they start exporting it. Why would Canadians expect anything different?

Sent from my Redmi 7A using Tapatalk
Completely agree. Not sure why we have ZERO facilities or companies in Canada that can produce a vaccine like this but we are now shown to be completely unprepared for anything like this. I think it was in this thread or on another forum that I read there is approval for a company to start building in Canada, they would be capable of producing the vaccine but by the time they would be up and running, best case scenario, it would be October or November.

I think we need to have the capabilities, but if that is true then it seems like they are just throwing it out to look good despite it not really offering any help to the need for vaccines now.

I have no issue with this. Yes it sucks that we can't get vaccines but I blame our own leadership and the fact we have nothing in this country to even produce our own. Biden, Trump, any President should be looking after their people first and I know I would not be happy if we had not vaccinated Canadians first and we were sending them off elsewhere.

Be very careful here you will be labeled as a proud boy with those nationalist/alt right views .

But I agree with you . The EU looking to do the same .

Be very careful here you will be labeled as a proud boy with those nationalist/alt right views .

But I agree with you . The EU looking to do the same .
I am not concerned, I am already a super villain being straight, white and male!

Should be the mandate of every government to look after their people first and help those after. I think we have a duty to help those less fortunate than us, but I think we should not do it at the expense of citizens.

Canada would (hopefully) do the same if the roles were reversed. Not a surprising move and I’d be ****** if Canada had production capacity and exported to other countries before our own people would get it.

knowing JTs mode of operation, he’d send out the vaccines to ‘needy’ countries first.

This should surprise no one. Criticise Trudeau all you want, but in the absence of being able to make our own in a timely manner, sourcing vaccine from Europe was a smart move. Yes, Europe has its own problems, but they're more likely to uphold the terms of contracts. Bear in mind that these arrangements were all made before the US election.

Canada used to be a world leader in vaccines.
Canada used to be world leader in telecommunications.
Canada used to be a world leader in satellite technologies

We USED to do stuff.

USask IS a world leader in SARS/Covid research.

Completely agree. Not sure why we have ZERO facilities or companies in Canada that can produce a vaccine like this but we are now shown to be completely unprepared for anything like this. I think it was in this thread or on another forum that I read there is approval for a company to start building in Canada, they would be capable of producing the vaccine but by the time they would be up and running, best case scenario, it would be October or November.

I think we need to have the capabilities, but if that is true then it seems like they are just throwing it out to look good despite it not really offering any help to the need for vaccines now.

I have spent a lot of time working in the pharma manufacturing industry, including time spent at a large foreign-owned company in Toronto that makes vaccines. I feel that the reason we have no other facilities in Canada is that we have too many regulatory hurdles here and labour costs are high. Foreign companies don't want to set up shop here. And its too expensive for a private company to get things off the ground here. Astra Zeneca actually had a facility in Mississauga up till about ... maybe.. 15 years ago. Why did they leave?

This should surprise no one. Criticise Trudeau all you want, but in the absence of being able to make our own in a timely manner, sourcing vaccine from Europe was a smart move. Yes, Europe has its own problems, but they're more likely to uphold the terms of contracts. Bear in mind that these arrangements were all made before the US election.

All I know JT is a failure . Contracts for 9 doses per Canadian is great . If you can deliver . JT can't .

Back
Top Bottom