Similar to a Honda CB1100 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Similar to a Honda CB1100

mimico_polak

Site Supporter
Hey all,
Was gassing up the van today and guy pulled up on a sexy blue 2014 CB1100 and I fell in love.
Then I checked Kijiji and quickly fell out of love as the price I definitely out of budget for my (trying to keep sub 5k).

what type of bike would be a similar style to that? I just loved the entire look of the bike. Not doing much long distance nowadays so this seems like a good runaround.

thanks!

EDIT: less than 1000cc preferred!

Modern retro classic, not to darn many motorcycles fit that description,
even fewer in the sub 5 k price range.

This is a modernized UJM motorcycle. These bikes are all about retro style, not performance. You can also get that for a lot less in a real vintage bike. Well sorted 70s era UJMs are always available in the 2-3k range.

They are surprisingly dependable an IMHO way cooler than a late model copy.

That said, a real vintage bike might not be everyone’s choice for a daily rider, best suited as a second or weekend warrior ride

This is a modernized UJM motorcycle. These bikes are all about retro style, not performance. You can also get that for a lot less in a real vintage bike. Well sorted 70s era UJMs are always available in the 2-3k range.

They are surprisingly dependable an IMHO way cooler than a late model copy.

That said, a real vintage bike might not be everyone’s choice for a daily rider, best suited as a second or weekend warrior ride
Thanks. This would be a toy used a handful of times per month.

with work, family, and obligations riding is definitely gone back to a hobby. Not a commuting life for the bike.

Thanks. This would be a toy used a handful of times per month.

with work, family, and obligations riding is definitely gone back to a hobby. Not a commuting life for the bike.
If it’s a few times s a month, up the cool factor and get a classic UJM. I have a couple, part of the ownership fun is the interesting conversations you have every time you park the bike.

Of course there is the “Steve McQueen” coolness factor of riding as it was when these bikes were produced - to me that’s exhilarating.

Honda Nighthawk and Kawi Zephyr are a couple of standards. Yes, carb machines but I’ve come across a few in the 2k range that are clean. Kawi’s are harder to find and cost more.

Honda’s in the early 90’s can be found with some patience.

But, I don’t mind tinkering with older machines and CAA covers me if something happens.

Fairly simple to work on and parts reasonable to find etc.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

A cheap similar bike would be a Kawasaki Zephyr

Edit: nakkers beat me by seconds

I might be imagining it, but I think you can get a modern'ish Triumph Bonneville for around $5k.

I might be imagining it, but I think you can get a modern'ish Triumph Bonneville for around $5k.
Yes, but unless you crave wrench time and spending beer money on parts, stick with Japanese bikes. The reason so many are still around is even 50 years ago, the figured out dependability back then.

Thats not a strong point for UK built motor vehicles. Ever wonder why all the UK car and bike brands are defunct or not UK owned and led?

2008 Triumph Speed Master,

Price: $ 3,999

1991 Kawasaki Zephyr 750,

Price: $ 3,500

Nighthawk 750 - amazing bike $2,500 ,

Price: $ 2,500

Naked Goldwing 1980something
Last of the naked wings,

Price: $ 3,500

You(JM) got options...

Sent from my LG-H873 using Tapatalk

Yup, sounds about right.

Yes, but unless you crave wrench time and spending beer money on parts, stick with Japanese bikes.

This is just not so. Do you own a modern Triumph twin, Mike? I do.

The fuel injected 865cc engine is as reliable as a rock, easy to work on, parts are no more expensive than anything else and are readily available. Extensive aftermarket support and a large, enthusiastic internet community.

Buy with confidence.

Kawasaki ZRX1100/1200
Kawasaki ZR7S
Suzuki Bandit whatever (several displacements have been available, 600 and 1200 were most common)
Owned a ZR7S bored out to 810cc, with an ignition advance cam and had changed the rear sprocket to lower the rpm at highway cruising speed. Managed to keep up with the sport bikes on the Thu evening rides that started from the gas pump at Steeles/Mississauga Rd.
Coveted the ZRX1200 and now Kawi has a ZRX900 (I think) that mimics the style.
Bandit 1200, a great all-round machine and I admired the aluminium casting of the motor's fins, such fine detail.

Right now, Honda has an 1100 that is a dead ringer for the UJM of the past.

I guess the "nakeds" have eclipsed the UJM's.

"be free from the gravity of expectation"

Thanks guys appreciate the input. I particularly like the Thruxton. Buddy had a red with white stripes which looked fantastic.
is the 919 a bike that would fall in this list? I know the 600 was carbed but the 919 was beautiful.

It's your list, you get to decide. They certainly can be had for less than $5K, I got mine for less than $3K (although it was a bit of a mess)

Just a little reminder, this is the pretty (15 grand-ish) motorcycle the OP fell in lust with, we just need one at one-third the original list price.
... which might be a stretch because anybody who bought one of these, probably bought it to keep forever or turn a profit on.

PTSHBO6FWBBMBPFDH5VKFSYNAI.jpg

Yup, sounds about right.

This is just not so. Do you own a modern Triumph twin, Mike? I do.

The fuel injected 865cc engine is as reliable as a rock, easy to work on, parts are no more expensive than anything else and are readily available. Extensive aftermarket support and a large, enthusiastic internet community.

Buy with confidence.
I don’t own a modern Triumph. You are correct, they have really improved dependability and build quality. They are certainly viable competition in the retro market.

I don’t own a modern Triumph. You are correct, they have really improved dependability and build quality. They are certainly viable competition in the retro market.
... Ever since they started making most of their bikes and parts in Taiwan.

Back
Top Bottom