Signs or common sense? | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Signs or common sense?

We jumped the shark years ago with personal responsibility and common sense. Just look at bylaws for residential pools.

Pools

Your gate needs to be able to support 200 lbs so the person jumping it illegally does not get hurt. The entire bylaw is about people illegally being on your property.

This is just one bylaw of many. Don't even get me started on what you have to do to legally have a ladder in a work place.......

We jumped the shark years ago with personal responsibility and common sense. Just look at bylaws for residential pools.

Pools

Your gate needs to be able to support 200 lbs so the person jumping it illegally does not get hurt. The entire bylaw is about people illegally being on your property.

This is just one bylaw of many. Don't even get me started on what you have to do to legally have a ladder in a work place.......
I fenced my yard so my water garden (3 ft deep in one spot) was to code. However there the town is littered with storm management ponds that are not fenced.

some municipalities have fenced off the storm ponds for legal reasons, be careful what you wish for. They are eye sores, weed havens and look like medieval moats. Just awful.

some municipalities have fenced off the storm ponds for legal reasons, be careful what you wish for. They are eye sores, weed havens and look like medieval moats. Just awful.
And almost every one has a hole through the fence so people can access it anyway.

On a related note, Lethbridge is poisoning a pond to get out the goldfish people released before they spread and destroy local water courses. Apparently the first application resulted in tens of thousands of dead goldfish. Trying again now to see how many survived round one. People are stupid. Many pitchforks as expected for killing the poor fish. Most people don't make the connection between morons releasing pets to be free and environmental destruction.

309636775_475690261257367_597122616897709787_n.jpg

If anyone has concerns about a job site not meeting regulations, the MTO publishes Book 7, their temporary traffic control guidelines, freely available to the public (layout info starts on page 239):

Ontario Traffic Manual - Book 7 - Temporary Conditions. (Including Sign Design Pattern files and Summary of Changes).

The only thing to keep in mind is that these are only best practice guidelines, not law, and rarely fit a streetscape exactly as shown in the diagrams.

One thing I know for certain about working near people in and around their cars for most of my life: driving brings out the absolute pinnacle stupid in humanity. Combining the operation of things that perform well beyond our evolved instinctive understanding of mass and velocity with the social shield that sitting behind the semi-anonymity of glass provides is a bad combo. You can put up a million signs and barricades, and someone will eventually drive through/around/over them thinking they're special. Or they'll get overwhelmed and/or distracted, shut down their visual processing, and simply not see the giant sign right in front of them. Look at how much effort the TTC has had to put into stopping people from driving into the LRT tunnel at Queens Quay and Bay. More and more signs made no difference.

If anyone has concerns about a job site not meeting regulations, the MTO publishes Book 7, their temporary traffic control guidelines, freely available to the public (layout info starts on page 239):

Ontario Traffic Manual - Book 7 - Temporary Conditions. (Including Sign Design Pattern files and Summary of Changes).

The only thing to keep in mind is that these are only best practice guidelines, not law, and rarely fit a streetscape exactly as shown in the diagrams.

One thing I know for certain about working near people in and around their cars for most of my life: driving brings out the absolute pinnacle stupid in humanity. Combining the operation of things that perform well beyond our evolved instinctive understanding of mass and velocity with the social shield that sitting behind the semi-anonymity of glass provides is a bad combo. You can put up a million signs and barricades, and someone will eventually drive through/around/over them thinking they're special. Or they'll get overwhelmed and/or distracted, shut down their visual processing, and simply not see the giant sign right in front of them. Look at how much effort the TTC has had to put into stopping people from driving into the LRT tunnel at Queens Quay and Bay. More and more signs made no difference.
Hell, some people made it most of the way to the station. Bouncing down rail tracks for hundreds of meters isn't enough to get some drivers to comprehend that something has gone wrong. Maybe we should go with bedazzled steering wheel covers. Helps you visually identify people likely to crash.

And almost every one has a hole through the fence so people can access it anyway.

On a related note, Lethbridge is poisoning a pond to get out the goldfish people released before they spread and destroy local water courses. Apparently the first application resulted in tens of thousands of dead goldfish. Trying again now to see how many survived round one. People are stupid. Many pitchforks as expected for killing the poor fish. Most people don't make the connection between morons releasing pets to be free and environmental destruction.

Sugarloaf Marina, in Port Colborne (on Lake Erie) - has TONS of goldfish, some as big as 18" or so... and goldfish will eat basically anything, so they thrive in any environment.

People are dumb...

Hell, some people made it most of the way to the station. Bouncing down rail tracks for hundreds of meters isn't enough to get some drivers to comprehend that something has gone wrong. Maybe we should go with bedazzled steering wheel covers. Helps you visually identify people likely to crash.

To be fair, driving down most toronto streets feels like your bouncing down rail tracks. Considering how much tax is collected, having streets worse then 3rd world countries is pretty embarrassing.

To be fair, driving down most toronto streets feels like your bouncing down rail tracks. Considering how much tax is collected, having streets worse then 3rd world countries is pretty embarrassing.
I thought that is why everyone is switching up to SUV's now, extra height and comfort to now worry about it.

I thought that is why everyone is switching up to SUV's now, extra height and comfort to now worry about it.
No, that's just because they're dumb. Hell, now it's because it's hard to find anything else. Watch most drivers tackle a parking lot speedbump. You'd swear their SUV was a lambo with the speed they go.

They learned from the Polak crews back home.

Fix a road properly and there’s nothing to do next season.

Fix a road badly and you have a job annually.

@Priller Book 7 is what I was thinking of. As I understand it, it’s not a legal requirement….but if an incident happens and you didn’t due what that Book says…good luck to you and everyone involved.

MOL and MTO WILL measure every single detail in case of an incident, and they will find out if you messed around and didn’t follow the guidelines.

309636775_475690261257367_597122616897709787_n.jpg
Asian carp anyone? Just waiting for one mating pair to get through the electric gate in Chicago.

Non native species should only be imported as sterile. One or two get away and they die off.

My uncle in Manitoba spent the day fishing with his buddy and neither of them got a bite.

As they were packing up the boat to go home a native asked them if the got anything and they replied No.

The guy said "I didn't think so. The ministry poisoned the lake last week."

Back
Top Bottom