Side mount verticle licence plate! | GTAMotorcycle.com

Side mount verticle licence plate!

sobe69

I have a Boulevard M50 and went with the integrated tail light and moved my plate to the swing arm mounted vertically, it is lighted, I am wondering if anybody else is running a similiar setup and if its legal, a gray area or am I asking for a ticket?

I'm sure someone will chime in with the relevant HTA section, but I think that it's not legal due to your plate not being visible from both sides of the bike.

It's technically not legal, but most cops will not give you trouble unless you are calling a lot of attention to yourself ...

It's a nice add on ticket to give when you're being stupid

That being said, you could get a ticket for it, but it doesn't happen all that often.

They can probably get you with:

Obstruction prohibited

(3) The number plates shall not be obstructed by any device that prevents the entire number plates including the numbers from being accurately photographed using a photo-radar system. 1993, c. 31, s. 2 (5).

or

Rear lamps to illuminate number plate

(19) The lamp on the rear of a motor vehicle or trailer shall be of at least three candela and shall be so placed that it will, at any time from one-half hour before sunset to one-half hour after sunrise and at any other time when, due to insufficient light or unfavourable atmospheric conditions, persons and vehicles on the highway are not clearly discernible at a distance of 150 metres or less, illuminate the numbers on the number plate, or, if provision is made on the number plate or on any attachment furnished or required by the Ministry for affixing the lamp, it shall be affixed in the position or space provided, and the lamp shall face to the rear and reflect on the number plate a white light only. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 62 (19).

Your license plate light will face to the side or front, not to the rear as required and whether the lamp is on the rear of your bike is also debatable.

There are other sections they could drag out too.

As others have said, although you are probably guilty and can easily be charged, normally that won't get you the ticket. This one is normally an add-on (or roadside reduction from speeding).

They can nail you because a driver in a police cruiser will not see the plate if its mounted on the right side of the swing arm as it may be obstructed by the wheel.

I had that on my old 2000 GSXR750 but just for kicks.
Few weeks later I was pulled over for improper tail lights on my B6 (they flashed when I pressed brake).I realized that they can give you a ticket for almost anything. After that I decided to put everything (plate) where it belong to avoid unnecessary problems.

PS, the licence plate has to be mounted horizontally and no alteration to it can be made as it is not your property.

Last edited:
I will be running the same set up on GSXR this year, and have ran it on my Busa in the past. I've never been hassled as of yet. As mentioned already.... Just don't bring any unwanted attention on yourself, and hopefully you have no bother. I also believe it depends where you live. Seems city police have it out for motorcyclists, by most posts I read. Over here in God's Country (Grey Bruce) most police officers give you the wave. Unless, of coarse your doing something stupid. Last time I was pulled over, I have this licence plate set up, mirrors removed, witha rear cam and monitor for rear view. Not a word was mentioned.

A friend went down to florida and moved his plate on his GSX-R 750 onto the swingarm vertically mounted.

We were riding in a group and a cop follows us running plates, rolls down his window and tells me with a smile to tell my friend to fix his plate... "He's got enough problems already".

It was nice to be warned rather than ticketed, but thought you'd like to know.

It doesn't matter what's legal and what's not, imho, it's what'll get a ticket written up. Guilty until proven innocent.

Cop was following me for a while on the DVP. Couldn't figure out why, as I was doing 90 the whole time before he started following me. Pulled me over on the exit to Eglinton Ave.
I was riding with the previous owners plate on my way home from forgetting my safety and not realizing until at the ministry and not getting MY plate. I showed the officer all the documents to prove it was legally my bike. He had me tow my bike home after taking the plates because they weren't mine.

The previous owner had the plate installed vertically on the swing arm and the officer couldn't read it, that's why I got pulled over. Offense that I got a SUMMONS for. Not a ticket but a summons to appear. Had the plate been mounted properly I would have had my own plate and secured it properly never getting that summons. Got out with a "Use plate not authorized for use" and a 90 dollar fine. It's a non moving violation so it didn't mess up my insurance. Silver lining to every cloud.

Well I don't know about mounted vertically, but I met a guy last night with a brand new HD V-Rod and the plate is mounted on the left side, horizontally from the factory. So I guess that the side mounting is not the issue so much as whether it is mounted vertically or horizontally.

Harley does have their new Sportster Iron with side mount plate that displays the plate horizonal from the factory. Also one of the V-Rod models too.

I think I've seen some V-Stars running side mount/horizonal plates too but, don't know if that is factory or mod kit.

But just because the factory put it there doesn't mean the police won't use that as something to stop you.

Ride smart and safe.

Well I don't know about mounted vertically, but I met a guy last night with a brand new HD V-Rod and the plate is mounted on the left side, horizontally from the factory. So I guess that the side mounting is not the issue so much as whether it is mounted vertically or horizontally.

Did he buy it in Canada? I am surprised they let that placement go. It seems to be signifcantly obstructed from the right side of the bike.

http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/f...09_harley_davidson_v_rod_muscle/photo_07.html

Remember ... What Transport Canada (or NHTSA in the USA) require for the license plate location, and what Ontario's Highway Traffic Act require, are two different things.

If it's not in compliance with HTA but is the way the manufacturer built it and certified it to Transport Canada's requirements, there is bugger all that the cops and the courts can do about it. Your defence is that it's the way the manufacturer built it. Federal requirements trump provincial in this case, so this SHOULD work (although we all know the nature of kangaroo err traffic court, so no guarantees).

But if YOU build it that way, now it's up to YOU to demonstrate compliance, and you can't use the "out" described above.

What the manufacturer can do, and what you can get away with, aren't necessarily the same.

Is this dumb? Yes. Does it make sense? No. But it is what it is.

I just installed a side mount vertical plate bracket with brack/running/plate lights integrated into the bracket. I'll let you all know if I get any issues with it. I'm not expecting any... I hope

Yea ... a few Sportsters and the VRod Muscle have side mounts, but they are horizontal (they actually fold in for storage if I remember correctly)

A friend of mine with a Night Rod in Buffalo had a side mount (vertical) and was harassed by the cops every couple of weeks ... he switched the to Muscle version (horizonatal) and he wasn't bothered ever again ...

I think it is the issue of not being able to read it easily if it is vertical ...

That being said, I don't think that most people with the vertical plate get harassed unless you're being a ******

Here is a pic:
sidemount.jpg

Last edited:
I've never been hassled with a horizontal side mount .... when I got pulled over and ticketed for illegal handle bars, he never gave me an extra ticket for my horizontal side mount.

P1010645.jpg

P1010593.jpg

I had a vertical side mount on my other bike (M50) and never had an issue with the cops. I don`t think you should have a problem unless you run into a real ********* that needs to up his quota.
51141844.jpg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom