Should I avoid? | Page 4 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Should I avoid?

Agreeing to a price beforehand and showing up with less is very different from doing the negotiation in cash in person.

You say let me come take a look at it, don't agree on a price

100%. If the seller is firm on the price, they will (or should) make it clear before agreeing to meet so everyone is on the same page – as is the case with the seller here.

I agree.
If agreed on price prior, don't show up and try to hustle.

Now if there are issues which the seller never mentioned then walk away or discuss the new "information" on hand

Butt hurt... nice.

Who said anything was wrong with offering $1500 for a $1800 ask was wrong? If the seller has agreed to meet under the terms of an $1800 sale and they're hustled in person with $1500 cash (as if cash is worth more LOL), you deserve to be off with your tail between legs.

You did lol. Go back and read post #9. It was good advice to the OP that if he was interested in the bike to take a drive down and bring $1500 with him. There was no deal in place for $1800 just an ad offering a bike for sale at $1800.

I'm understanding that he meant don't show up with less than you already agreed to. There isn't anything wrong with reasonably negotiating the price before meeting but if you do so, stick to it. Unless you get there and the item in question has been misrepresented and there is a reason to try for a better price, that's a shady thing to do. I would and have sent a potential buyer away for the same reason.

I can confirm the butt hurt is strong. Who would of thought offering $1500 for a bike with a $1800 ask is so offensive.
I always tell the seller what I'm willing to pay subject to the item being as stated. I tell sellers straight -- if the disclose everything I should know then I'll pay $X. If I arrive and the item doesn't appear as described, I walk -- if the seller really needs to sell it I'll let him start the chiseling.

To the OP - I've bought and sold many many bikes over the years and unfortunately... when you see a deal like that pop up you've got to be ready to jump (drive over and see it in person asap). I have lost out on many bikes simply because I couldn't get off work or get there fast enough.

You're absolutely allowed to ask questions and try to agree on a rough price you're willing to pay before going. And judging by the texts he did seem fairly unresponsive. But in the sellers defense - when you have a bike listed below market value, you're less inclined to respond to every single message going back and forth, especially when he knows you're only 45 mins away. He also likely had a full inbox of messages answering the same things over and over + maybe some no shows. He likely knew the first person to actually show up and see it was going to put it on a trailer or truck the same day.

For example - I sold a Grom last year that I picked up well below market value. Something else came up I was interested in and I wanted a quick sale to help get the other bike, so I too listed the bike fairly cheap hoping to have it gone within a day or two.

I had many many messages. Some responses were asking a ton of questions (many of the answers were already in the ad), Some were massive low balls or people telling me what they would pay for it if I got it certified. And last... a few messages that said: "Interested - What's your number? Can I see it today? Very interested." Guess which ones I responded to? Sold within a day or two.

Point is - be ready to jump on a deal when you see it! It's just part of the game when you're trying to get something for a great price.

Thank you for the post.

I asked the questions I thought I was supposed to. Also thought I was being considerate. Getting further detail before wasting his time and becoming a "tire kicker".

Looked like a great deal and I lost out. Taking that lesson and will apply it next time.

I appreciate all the feedback. Thanks.

Sent from my LG-H873 using Tapatalk

To the OP - I've bought and sold many many bikes over the years and unfortunately... when you see a deal like that pop up you've got to be ready to jump (drive over and see it in person asap). I have lost out on many bikes simply because I couldn't get off work or get there fast enough.

You're absolutely allowed to ask questions and try to agree on a rough price you're willing to pay before going. And judging by the texts he did seem fairly unresponsive. But in the sellers defense - when you have a bike listed below market value, you're less inclined to respond to every single message going back and forth, especially when he knows you're only 45 mins away. He also likely had a full inbox of messages answering the same things over and over + maybe some no shows. He likely knew the first person to actually show up and see it was going to put it on a trailer or truck the same day.

For example - I sold a Grom last year that I picked up well below market value. Something else came up I was interested in and I wanted a quick sale to help get the other bike, so I too listed the bike fairly cheap hoping to have it gone within a day or two.

I had many many messages. Some responses were asking a ton of questions (many of the answers were already in the ad), Some were massive low balls or people telling me what they would pay for it if I got it certified. And last... a few messages that said: "Interested - What's your number? Can I see it today? Very interested." Guess which ones I responded to? Sold within a day or two.

Point is - be ready to jump on a deal when you see it! It's just part of the game when you're trying to get something for a great price.
Agreed. I bought a 2016 DL650XA that came with with hard luggage, top case, SWMoto racks, and a new in the box Saddlemen adv/tour seat. It was the April of 2018, the bike was in Brockville, the seller wanted $5K. I couldn't arrange a ride so I jumped a Greyhound with $5K in my pocket. Seller met me at the local Greyhound station with the bike, I rode it to the local Service Ontario with him, transferred the ownership then rode her home It was a killer deal, I knew the bike's value, I had to hustle to make sure nobody else claimed 'my deal'. I'mpretty sure I could sell the bike today for more than I paid for it 2 years ago.

The bike is still worth more than

Whow! Now that is hustling. And I don't mean the bad type of hustling but, " to move hurriedly or unceremoniously in a specified direction " meaning.

Thank you for taking the time to post and share Mad Mike.

I've done similar with both bikes I currently own
both in the Capital region
drove up to inspect
did the deal leaving cash deposit
VIA Rail back up next day and rode back with temp reg on my plate

like with Mike's story, and others have mentioned
getting there quickly is the most important thing if you really want it

I see zero point in negotiating price until you're looking at the bike
as for selling, I ignore kijiji offers for a lower price, not worth my time
but if someone shows up with a trailer and cash, no safety, no government BS
yeah, they'll get a discount for making it a clean, easy transaction

and no interac payment, they can be reversed, 100's are easy to count

...and no interac payment, they can be reversed...
Interac payments are reversible only until deposited to your account. Once deposited they are as good as cash, not even a bank can reverse them.

Also cash can be counterfeited...
Pretty hard since Canada switched to polypropylene plastic bills. Paper bills are normally removed from circulation by banks, they exchange them for updated plastic bills when they get them.

If someone shows up to buy your bike and they have a fistful of old paper bills, there might be cause for concerns.

Pretty hard since Canada switched to polypropylene plastic bills. Paper bills are normally removed from circulation by banks, they exchange them for updated plastic bills when they get them.

Michael Boddy of Richmond Hill, Ont., says he unknowingly accepted 63 fake $20 bills from somebody who had agreed to buy a high-end iPhone he was selling.

According to RCMP statistics, the number of counterfeit bills being passed in Canada has been rising since 2015, when the number of fake bills detected was at a long-term low.

Fake $20 bills circulating in British Columbia’s Fraser Valley made headlines last spring. Around the same time, police in London, Ont., received dozens of reports of fake $100 bills making their way around that city.

Not sure what you would do with all those fake $100 bills.

You could make a fan out of them, I guess... :D

Not sure what you would do with all those fake $100 bills.

You could make a fan out of them, I guess... :D
That would just piss me off again. They won't let you keep them. Now you have been robbed of money by the crooks and a story/art by the cops.

Interac payments are reversible only until deposited to your account. Once deposited they are as good as cash, not even a bank can reverse them.

that's what interac says
and Boeing says their planes are safe

in an interac e-trasnfer
once the recipient accepts funds
they cannot be clawed back by the sender

interac is nothing but an e-wallet
in the event of bank fraud
the remitting bank can, and do, claw back from recipient bank
deposited funds are then debited back from receiver's account

look it up
happens more often than you'd think

Thank you for the post.

I asked the questions I thought I was supposed to. Also thought I was being considerate. Getting further detail before wasting his time and becoming a "tire kicker".

Looked like a great deal and I lost out. Taking that lesson and will apply it next time.

I appreciate all the feedback. Thanks.

Sent from my LG-H873 using Tapatalk

To be honest don't be so hard on yourself. What Dizzer said previously is a great way to look at things though.
I fully understand where you are coming and i too believe you were quite polite and nice. He just never responded which would annoy me too. I also believe since you are new to bikes and were scared about what was wrong with it or had no prior knowledge of this bike that it was hard for you to take the plunge and waste 45 mins of your time (2 hours if you count back and forth driving). If the seller was eager to sell it he woudl have told you first come first serve, or like first with cash in hand gets it but he never told you this. He didn't even pick up your calls which is weird too.

However i think as you gain knowledge and expereince with motoryccle you will know what is a good price and what is not and whether or not it is worth it to go drive out to see it. I would not go see a bike if i also didn't have all my questions asked either (although my questions are the general ones like how has it been maintained, and how often has oil been changed, condition, etc).

that's what interac says
and Boeing says their planes are safe

in an interac e-trasnfer
once the recipient accepts funds
they cannot be clawed back by the sender

interac is nothing but an e-wallet
in the event of bank fraud
the remitting bank can, and do, claw back from recipient bank
deposited funds are then debited back from receiver's account

look it up
happens more often than you'd think
No they cant claw back a deposit. Interac is a delivery system, it's quite different than a wallet, more like an electronic version of what Canada post does when they accept and deliver an envelope full of cash. The banks at both ends do a fraud check prior to fulfilling the transaction, so does Interac. If fraud is detected before the deposit, they will block the transaction. Once it's deposited the recipient has the money -- there is no turning back.

Banks are not permitted to claw money back once deposited, they may attempt to get it back if they prove a recipient is complicit in the fraud, but only through a legal judgement.

Banks eat Interac fraud.

read up on the story where an old gal
after a vacation to square up on costs
sent another old gal an interac transfer

someone else ended up with the dough
recipients email had been hacked

security question was:
who is the best Beatle?

banks both said eff these old broads
funds transfer was reversed

interac had nothing to do with settling the fraud

read up on the story where an old gal
after a vacation to square up on costs
sent another old gal an interac transfer

someone else ended up with the dough
recipients email had been hacked

security question was:
who is the best Beatle?

banks both said eff these old broads
funds transfer was reversed

interac had nothing to do with settling the fraud
This example is completely different -- if you're email is hacked that's not the bank's problem any more that it would be if your Canada Post's mailbox is robbed.

When you're selling a bike, you make sure the funds get deposited into your account before handing over the title. If you are buying a bike,, you get confirmation the recipient accepted the transfer. If he's robbed once the money is delivered to him you get a conf from Interact -- your proof of payment. If you handed him the cash and someone ran out of the bushes and snatched it from him before you got the ttle, would you expect the bank to give you back the cash?

Back
Top Bottom