Should I avoid? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Should I avoid?

ACsurge

Last week Jan 16th I saw this V-Star on Kijiji.
Listed at $2,400. It stated it was certified.
Jan 22nd he dropped it to $2,000. I reached out via text and asked him if he has a UVI package, Where was the bike certified, and if there is any work which needs to be done to it, body or mechanical. His reply, "Come see". I told him it is a 45 min drive one way so would like to know before I come. Didn't hear from him.
Jan 23rd, he dropped it to $1,999. He no longer says it is certified however is willing to get it certified. I followed up and got no response.
Jan 24th, today it is listed at $1,800. He says he wants it gone this weekend.

1579874508425.png

It's hard to go that wrong at $1800 certified assuming it runs well. Tell him to get it certified and you will give him the cash.

The right floorboard looks funny. It appears to be tipped to far down which is the opposite to the way it would get pushed in a tipover. Not sure what is going on there. Probably just needs tightened up, but it is worth a look in case something in the vicinity is bent.

FWIW, I've ridden a previous generation of that bike and had no love for it at all. Much of that is due to me liking my feet under me, but I was appalled by almost everything (complete lack of power, mediocre braking, suspension hated big bumps, etc). That being said, I knew some people that had them and loved them. It does look nice and most people wouldn't guess it was a 650 at a quick glance.

Does he keep deleting his ad and re posting it, because this ad is only 2 hours old? As of 5 minutes ago it only has had 2 views.

At $1800 I'd say it's a good deal -- a great deal if he throws in a cert. Providing the mileage is correct and the maintenance is up to date, the 650 Yamaha is inexpensive to own, maintain and insure. They are great for beginner and intermediate riders. It's also air cooled, so you'll never have waterpump/rad or cooling system M&R.

Like most Yamaha's, you can expect stellar dependability and really cheap parts.

the certified/uncertified thing is prolly because of the time of year
it's a pain to get a bike in to the shop this time of year for the safety
seller is obviously in a hurry - price drops and repeated ad re-listings
I'd guess he decided to sell as is and lower the price

if that doesn't work and you're not in a hurry
I've got a better metric cruiser than that will be available in May

Last edited:
Does he keep deleting his ad and re posting it, because this ad is only 2 hours old? As of 5 minutes ago it only has had 2 views.
Yes, I have taken screen shots of his last posts. i have screen shots of bikes I keep an eye on.

Obviously he is in a hurry to get rid of it. Could be he is moving 01 Feb, and doesn't want/have the capability to move the bike. I agree, it will be a VERY reliable bike. BUT, it is also terribly under powered. The 1100 has somewhat ok power. the 1300, is properly powered. I looked at Vstars, when I bought my last bike, but i was VERY happy that I ended up going with the Road Star 1700, it had great power and in lower gears had TONS of torque, you could likely remove a stump with it...lol

Try telling him $1800 with it certified, If he would rather you certify, then $1600, (can't hurt, worse he will say is Nope $1800).

Looking at the right floor board, I would guess, it is just loose, but ask him about it. Those floor boards are VERY sturdy, you could easily be 300 lbs and stand completely on one, with NO bending etc. so for it to be bent like that would be virtually impossible without causing major damage to that side of the bike.

here's an idea OP
go look at the bike, have cash with you
if you like it, show seller an envelope with 15 x $100 bills in it
talk is cheap, I bet you he won't resist those 100 dollar bills

here's an idea OP
go look at the bike, have cash with you
if you like it, show seller an envelope with 15 x $100 bills in it
talk is cheap, I bet you he won't resist those 100 dollar bills

Really? Does that really work?

If someone came to your place and lowballed you by several hundred dollars, but waved a fan of $100 bills in your face, would you grow weak in the knees, salivate and capitulate?

I dunno. To me money is money, whether it's EFT or dollah bills. EFT is actually preferable for me. It means I don't have to go to the bank and deposit those bills. Can't even remember the last time I used cash. I think it's been over half a year. Especially $100 bills. Who even uses those or takes them?

Might just be me. :unsure:?‍♂️

Really? Does that really work?

If someone came to your place and lowballed you by several hundred dollars, but waved a fan of $100 bills in your face, would you grow weak in the knees, salivate and capitulate?

I dunno. To me money is money, whether it's EFT or dollah bills. EFT is actually preferable for me. It means I don't have to go to the bank and deposit those bills. Can't even remember the last time I used cash. I think it's been over half a year. Especially $100 bills. Who even uses those or takes them?

Might just be me. :unsure:?‍♂️
I want my number too and don't care about the cash (the seller may take $1500 just to end the stream of tire kickers but I would hope the presence of cash is immaterial) . If someone pays me in cash, it gets stashed somewhere in the house, it never gets deposited. There is no upside to a paper trail as the seller. Some of it (not much) gets used as spending cash, most ends up paying for services to garner the "tax-included" discount. If they choose not to claim it and remit, that is on them.

Some cash gets spent at small vendors but for almost any corporation I use a card. It has probably been six months since I went to a bank for anything.

Reactions: AGS
... most ends up paying for services to garner the "tax-included" discount.

Hah! That's the exact scenario I was thinking of 6 months ago when I paid for a rock chip repair on the windshield. $100+tax charged to insurance or $35 cash under the table. I think I had been carrying those $20 bills in my wallet for over a year.

And still everyone asks why insurance premiums are so high.

I have to admit, I barely have cash on me. I generally have a twenty just in case purposes but always use the card.
When the twenty breaks, the change ends up in my change draw and the bills if any left back in my wallet.

I have to admit, I barely have cash on me. I generally have a twenty just in case purposes but always use the card.
When the twenty breaks, the change ends up in my change draw and the bills if any left back in my wallet.

When we sold up and left, I rolled up all the change that we had thrown in various jar(s) that we had stashed in the back of the closet over the years.

We had a hair less than $1000 in coins. *SMH*

EFT > Cash

Back
Top Bottom