Shortest Iron Butt ride | GTAMotorcycle.com

Shortest Iron Butt ride

timtune

Site Supporter
Just looking at the IBA site. Their shortest ride listed is 1000 miles (saddle sore). I thought there was a 1000 kilometer ride. Am I wrong?

I could think of better things to spend $ on than proving to some strange dude(s) I rode 1000 miles in a day...

Uou could just do it and know in your heart that you did.
I've never bothered documenting or submitting anything. I know the best I have done is 2400 km in 24 hours and ~4000 km in 48 hours. They weren't intentional IBA runs, just out for a ride.

i don't think i would get much enjoyment out of blistering my arse on a ride that prove nothing.

With the right bike, you are still comfortable at the end, just tired.

i'm still setting up my versys to plan for an east coast run probably next yr. it's comfortable.

iv'e been up around wawa early this season and really enjoyed riding the bike. took 129 up and across. handles the twisties really well, and tons of bottom end torque

I could think of better things to spend $ on than proving to some strange dude(s) I rode 1000 miles in a day...

Uou could just do it and know in your heart that you did.
This is me. Did the 1000mile IB a few years with 3 members from GTAM. Was a good time but never filled out the paperwork. Still have the envelope here somewhere with all the receipts of proof. Almost to NYC and back.

i don't think i would get much enjoyment out of blistering my arse on a ride that prove nothing.

Well, not "nothing"...
You get a certificate and a nifty license plate frame. 'Maybe even a sticker.

I think a lot of avid riders do "iron butt" rides just as a matter of course... Sometimes unintentionally.

Like the time I rode from Thunder Bay to Hamilton in one go.
Half of it in the dark and pouring rain... lol

I've done a few unintentional iron butt rides; After hour 11 I start to rethink some of my life choices.
Haha, I hear you. The tail end of 2400 in 24 was trying to beat a snowstorm home that was bearing down on PEI. I beat the storm but got home at 03:30.

I did Penticton to Medicine Hat in 12 hrs...
'Was EXACTLY 1000 km from point of departure to my hotel in Medicine Hat...
Run even included a stop by the RCMP..
157 in a 110... Oops.

"Enjoying" endurance riding, including iron butt rides is a thing.

I enjoy it. Honestly, some of my most enjoyable rides ever consisted of 1500+ km days. I've done a few IBA rides now, only 1 of which I bothered to certify - 1900km in 21 hours). All you need is one to get your name in the IBA roster - beyond that it's just additional lines on a spreadsheet somewhere and another entry on the website. Meh.

Not everyone enjoys that sort of riding. I get it. Those who do often can't fully explain the allure to those who think it's insane. Kinda like how some Jeep owners say "It's a Jeep thing, you wouldn't understand".

Those of us who do enjoy endurance riding however often crave it. The biggest problem I have being the sort of person who enjoys this sort of riding...is finding riding buddies who share the passion and don't think I'm the aforementioned insane person. ;)

Back
Top Bottom