Shoei to release HUD-equipped motorbike helmet in 2020 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Shoei to release HUD-equipped motorbike helmet in 2020

roadrash

It's a start, now that a popular helmet manufacturer caught on. Can't wait for this tech to become mainstream. Maybe someday we would get to see Augmented Reality helmets.

According to the article linked below, the helmet would also come equipped with speakers and a mic. The HUD will communicate with a smartphone via Bluetooth, giving it access to GPS amongst other things.

https://japantoday.com/category/tech/shoei-to-release-hud-equipped-motorbike-helmet-in-2020

Edit: accidentally posted in off-topic

Well don't think it would be wise to buy gen 1 product. It's a start and it will only get better.

Boy it seems to be hard to get a functioning motorcycle HUD to market... what is this, like attempt #10?

I always thought it would be difficult to focus on something that's 2 inches away. In a car the image is about three feet in front of you which makes it a little easier

I always thought it would be difficult to focus on something that's 2 inches away. In a car the image is about three feet in front of you which makes it a little easier

"For example, an image is seen 2m away from the rider while automotive HUDs display an image 1.6m away from the driver."

The way I understand that, the image is virtually projected 2m in front of you. If it wasn't it would be useless to anyone over 50, as the image is projected towards the top of the shield above any bifocal cutoff. Think of it like a mirror. When you're 1m from a mirror you're seeing a reverse image of yourself 2m away.

Last edited:
More useless technology.
So i have this view in front,and i need more info...umm,ya,ok?
mj-618_348_arkansas-pig-trail-ak-25-great-american-motorcycle-roads-1-.jpg

Last edited:
More useless technology.

I think i would like a rear/360 camera (like the Skully), but Navi/speed/direction etc. Nah.

More useless technology.

Not for everybody... the whole point of something like this is being able to keep your eyes up, you have to drop your vision to look at a motorcycle dashboard. Moreso than in a car. I would like something like this, maybe normally just speed, gear & RPM, and if I'm in a strange land then simplified nav instructions would be nice. I have lived without it so far, of course. Maybe would have helped me when I learned the hard way there are many places called Newport in the eastern US.

However I don't see it being worth $1300 to me anytime soon

Not for everybody... the whole point of something like this is being able to keep your eyes up, you have to drop your vision to look at a motorcycle dashboard. Moreso than in a car. I would like something like this, maybe normally just speed, gear & RPM, and if I'm in a strange land then simplified nav instructions would be nice. I have lived without it so far, of course. Maybe would have helped me when I learned the hard way there are many places called Newport in the eastern US.

However I don't see it being worth $1300 to me anytime soon
Exactly. These are nice-to-have features, not need-to-have. Definately not for everyone. Countless times I've gotten lost exploring up north of GTA. Built-in Navi would've been nice to have in those times. It's 2019, this tech should already be mature and available, yet were only just getting our feet wet. Definately not worth $1300+. Hope is, it would get better and cheaper with time.

Is the $1300 just for the HUD or for the helmet with HUD? If it is a helmet with the HUD then it is not out of line with other helmets and add on integrated comms. I think when I bought my Schuberth C3 Pro it came close to that after I bought the SRC set for it.

I am definitely interested in this and love the idea of this tech. Yes others have tried it but they have been start up companies. What this really needed was an established brand to get behind it. I was hoping that BMW's helmet would come out with this a while ago after they showcased the tech at a CES some years back. It was simple information for nav and speed all in an unobtrusive way and let you keep your eyes on the road. Sure some are not interested just as some prefer to travel with paper maps rather than a GPS device. I was debating a new Schuberth this year but think I will hold off till Shoei gets these out and people can actually see how it works and what it can do.

Exactly. These are nice-to-have features, not need-to-have. Definately not for everyone. Countless times I've gotten lost exploring up north of GTA. Built-in Navi would've been nice to have in those times. It's 2019, this tech should already be mature and available, yet were only just getting our feet wet. Definately not worth $1300+. Hope is, it would get better and cheaper with time.

Bluetooth your phone son, sheesh.

Bluetooth your phone son, sheesh.
My helmet doesn't have speaker cut outs, and it doesn't fit well when I have earphones on. My earphone cable snapped because the helmet is a perfect fit.

Besides, I would still prefer an AR display to voice.

My neck hurts just thinking about how heavy all that crap is going to be.

for a few hundred bucks you can mount a proper GPS
get all the vital data you need, or just don't look at it
enjoy the scenery

My neck hurts just thinking about how heavy all that crap is going to be.

Chase on 2 just reviewed the new skully, if memory serves its a hair heavier then this rf1200? I may be wrong.

Back
Top Bottom