Shoei rf1100 or suomy vandal or any other similarly priced helmets | GTAMotorcycle.com

Shoei rf1100 or suomy vandal or any other similarly priced helmets

KarGo

I'm looking for a new helmet, something that flows lots of air and light. My old helmet was the shoei tzr, i thought it was a bit loose on the sides of my head.
Suomy because Gp bikes is having a sale on the vandals. Most reviews say the vandal is a loud helmet.

What helmets you can recommend under $250-300?

Also are there any retailers that sell both brands in the GTA?

Last edited:
The Vandal is generally a loud helmet. I have one, and its my favorite helmet I have ever owned, but noise doesnt bother me. The upside to being a loud helmet is that you can clearly hear things around you. Its also not loud at sub 60kmh speeds (so city riding), but above 60, it whistles really hard from the vents.

For 250 bucks though, id pick one up without hesitation. I will buy another Suomy helmet when this one is done.

I think Cycleworld in scarborough sells both Shoei and Suomy, but maybe call them first.

I picked up a Suomy Vandal from GP. It is quite loud but is very light and the air flow is very good but with rear vents open 100% you get the that wind over a bottle sound but I have music playing through the Sena anyway. I have not used it as a communicator yet but I bet the mic picks up the noise which is horrible if you are the one hearing it. The air flow around my face with visor closed is taking some getting used to. Nice on the hot days, I am sure will help clear any fogging but can also irritate,dry out your eyes pretty quick. There is no chin skirt so may look into adding one which may also help with the noise. I also have a Scorpion EXO 1000 that is equally loud, a lot heavier and does not have as good ventilation but the drop down visor is great. I also have a Schuberth S1 that is incredibly quiet once the rear facing vents are covered (same howling as Suomy) but has to physically be the largest helmet in the world. (Think Spaceballs). I loved the Schuberth but I dropped it. It too had the drop down visor. Great feature.

Check out the Bell series of helmets.

I find it to flow more air than my Shoei.

I really like my Bell RS-1. Seems quieter than my previous Shark RSR2, and flows air better in an upright position.

I'm torn between rf1100 and the vandal. Only thing I like about the vandal is that it's very light, the noise is my only concern. Bell rs1 has some great reviews, but out of my budget.

I'm planning to try out both helmets and see how the fit my head.

Thanks for the replies.

when i was picking out helmets i went to royal and just walked in a line and tried on every helmet in the store in my size.
the rf1100 was hands down the most comfortable and best fit.

i do want one with a drop down visor so i may check out the gt air next season, or some scorpian... probably the exo 1100 unless they make another model for 2014...i also want something with really loud graphics.

I'm torn between rf1100 and the vandal. Only thing I like about the vandal is that it's very light, the noise is my only concern. Bell rs1 has some great reviews, but out of my budget.

I'm planning to try out both helmets and see how the fit my head.

Thanks for the replies.

RS-1 is $300 from GPBikes, minus $20 GTAM coupon

RS-1, RF1100, Vandal all fit very different. Try on every helmet brand/model there until you find the one that fits well and then find a design you like. Don't forget to check out the closeout helmets upstairs. Don't forget to try on the HJC RPHA10 as it's a steal for the money IMO (the Lorenzo design is more money though).

I have both the 1100 and vandal. Both fit great. 1100 is a bit quieter and feels more snug on my melon. Can't go wrong with either. I am not home to check right now but I think one is dot certified and the other is both dot and snell. I too am hoping to get a shoie gt air as my next helmet.

Don't forget to try on the HJC RPHA10 as it's a steal for the money IMO (the Lorenzo design is more money though).

Yep, the RPHA10 is great value, it shouldn't be overlooked. As for quietness, who cares. I always wear ear plugs, and so should you.

I miss my old Vandal, Yes it can be loud at times but turning the 2 front intake's 180' helped tremendously. My Favorite helmet of all i have owned. Try out the XSpeed Carbon at Bluestreak, The fit is right on par with Suomy.

I ended up buying the Shoei Rf1100 Enigma today. Snug fit, I feel it fits better than the arai I tried on at pro6 shop. Most of all I love the graphics x_x
52197d1323358719-helmets-a1.jpg

Does anyone know a good place to visors from?

i own a soumy Apex (i know, not a vandal) and i also own a shoei rf1100

im glad you went w/ the rf1100

i like the fact that there's a ''cave'' where your ears are, my scala G9 speakers fit so comfortably in there, where as the soumy it was pushing against my ear.

and in general soumy visors are a b!tch and a half to change. my friend's vandal visor clip on one side snapped off while we were riding as well.

i wish all shoei visors are non-fog like the soumy ones and transitional like the bell visors =p

Back
Top Bottom