Shell gas no longer Ethanol Free | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Shell gas no longer Ethanol Free

While it's not feasible to remove ethanol from gas without lowering its octane rating, there are additives and treatments that you can use to blunt the effects of the ethanol in your gas. Products like:

Amsoil Quickshot: https://www.amsoil.ca/p/quickshot-aqs/
Star Tron: Star Tron Enzyme Fuel Treatment Gas Additive Shooter
Sta-Bil 360 Protection: STA-BIL 360 Protection - Fuel Treatment for Engines | Gold Eagle Co
Ethanol Defense: Ethanol Defense - 16 oz. Bottle
The ones I am familiar with out of that list help the water issue but I wasnt aware of an additive that could protect a plastic tank or hoses from damage.

ell me what your problem with ethanol is and I'll show you where you're wrong

Phase separation.

Over time, that water degrades fuel quality and tends to gum up the fuel. However, this process takes months, so if you're regularly using your vehicle and filling it up, you won't notice this at all.

Agreed. I've used ethanol gas in everything, all the time. Even my Jetskis....despite the fact that people who own anything with an engine on the water will tell you that using ethanol gas will apparently have you stranded a mile offshore on your first trip out. Or will blow up your engine. Or one of many other possible outcomes.
In short, yes, phase separation is more of an issue with engines that live near water, but again, if you're actually using up the gas regularly, it's really not an issue.
The only time I use non-ethanol is the last fill of the season when something is going to be stored. Snowblower in the spring. Motorcycle in the fall.

Ask your grandpa about gas line anti freeze.

Water in fuel back then had way more to do with ****** storage tanks that leaked and all the other (less than ideal at the time) systems of transportation and hoses etc. My dad owned shop that once had a gas station - he was very particular about keeping his tanks well maintained and the caps watertight, the cap reservoirs clear of ice and snow, etc etc etc. Many other station owners back then weren't so picky as they didn't care if they pumped a few hundred ml of meltwater into some guys tank as by the time it started causing him/her problems, they were gone.

Emailed esso and asked if there premium contained ethanol ( its not supposed to) got a reply......bla, bla, bla.....or...the pump must have a sticker on it displaying the amount of ethanol....no sticker, no ethanol.....and so on.
For what it's worth I use ethanol free fuel in EVERTHING I own....the 150 bucks a year I pay extra doesn't bother me.

Esso has not been ethanol free in any of their fuel for years now.

I visited my local Shell yesterday to fill up my wife’s bike to put it away for the winter. I can confirm that now *all* their octanes (even the ultra 94) no longer show the “no ethanol” sticker, but just a big sticker across the bottom that states “may contain up to 10% ethanol”.

Another one bites the dust.

Esso has not been ethanol free in any of their fuel for years now.

I visited my local Shell yesterday to fill up my wife’s bike to put it away for the winter. I can confirm that now *all* their octanes (even the ultra 94) no longer show the “no ethanol” sticker, but just a big sticker across the bottom that states “may contain up to 10% ethanol”.

Another one bites the dust.

damn that is ******* lame. i fill up my tanks with shell v-power so i dont bother with stabilizer.

You still need stabilizer regardless of ethanol content. Stabilizer arguably doesn’t help much with ethanol issues, but it can prevent other issues like gum and varnish buildup that clogs fuel system components.

It’s important to add it before that last fill up or the season however so it has time to mix and run through the full fuel system.

I don't get the fear of ethanol fuels.
I only have old cars and bikes with carbs, at least half of the bikes are two strokes
NEVER, not ONCE, have I had a problem I could even remotely blame on ethanol.

Tell me what your problem with ethanol is and I'll show you where you're wrong.
I haven't had a lot of trouble, but some.
  • My 69 Triumphs Amal plastic floats were eaten by ethanol.
  • My xv920r had vacuum actuated rubber seals in the petcocks were compromised by ethanol.
  • Modern clear polyurethane fuel lines get hard as rock when ethanol gas is used, I have to replace fuel lines on my dirt bikes every time I remove carbs.
  • Really small gas engines use tiny carbs with tiny passages, most not anodized for corrosion protection. Look at how many mowers and trimmers are tossed to the curb in the spring. Ethanol
  • Steel and aluminum gas tanks that get stored for months corrode more when ethanol gas is used.
Most bikes made before the mid 80s would suffer some issues with rubber or cork gaskets, fuel lines, swelling or porosity in carb and fuel floats, some fuel tanks were compromised.

As these parts are cheap and routinely replaced, the problem items would have been swapped out by now.

One has to wonder why, at every step of petroleum production, from the time the crude comes out of the ground (a lot of the time being floated out of the ground on pressurized water) till it's in the big tank at the gas station, the stuff is tested for water content. The main reason gas stations are now required to have plastic inground tanks is to minimize water seepage from the surrounding dirt...remember OSMOSIS from grade 9? Gas stations are required by law to test for water in their tanks on a regular basis... and have been since as far back as the '70s (that I know of. I used to run a gas station in the mid '70s and had to do dips and you painted the end of the dip stick with stuff that would react to water to check. The new tanks have water sensors, but you still have to test the sensors... by painting stuff on the end of the dip stick when you do dips. I'm pretty sure the delivery driver does it now)
"PURE" gasoline is not PURE anything, it is both a a mixture and a solution. Not all gasoline components are petroleum based ... some parts, the petroleum parts, are hydrophobic, and some parts are hydrophilic. Gasoline from 1975, that had ZERO ethanol content absorbed water.
The "problems" with ethanol mixed fuels are not new, nor exclusive to ethanol mixed fuels. It could be argued that adding ethanol made these "problems" worse, or faster to realize but ethanol mixed fuels didn't invent these "problems".
Water absorption is one thing, thats mainly a fuel tank corrosion problem, with a minor in carb schmutz that forms after evaporation. Smaller the carb, bigger the problem.

Ethanol chemically reacts with rubber, cork, and many plastics used in older machines.

Marina and Av gas is still ethanol free... for a reason.

Marina and Av gas is still ethanol free

Not all marinas are ethanol free anymore. We pumped 700L of regular 87 ethanol in a family members boat a few months back at a marina on either Sturgeon or Balsam.

For people who aren’t letting the fuel sit for long periods and are regularly burning it, 87 regular ethanol is fine in many situations, even on the water. I ran 87 ethanol in both our jetskis for years, only filling with no ethanol for the last fill of the season, same as I do with the motorcycles.

So, no ethanol-free gas at any of the gas stations anymore?

Does the alternative mean winter-storing a bike without gas in the tank?
The problem with that is one cannot run a FI bike "dry" as the FI pump uses gas for lubricity and an empty (steel) tank is an invitation to rust condensation.

Will the use of Stabil or Seafoam alleviate the issue?
On that topic, what is the difference between the two and which one is preferred?

(The on sale price of Seafoam at CT yesterday was around $16 for 473 ml, Stabil cost around $17 for 946 ml)

I have never had an issue running fuel injected bikes as empty as I dare in fall, then filling up with fresh fuel in spring before first start, with sheltered storage. Modern bikes have well sealed fuel systems and will not let air (and moisture) in or out as long as the temperature variation is not excessive (e.g. direct sunlight on it to below freezing repeatedly).

You could always pick up a can of VP fuel $$$ and run that at the end of the season. Not sure of their lowest Octane fuel mix?
I run a mix of it in dirt bikes when conditions favor detonation.

What do the small airports charge for AvGas?

Not all marinas are ethanol free anymore. We pumped 700L of regular 87 ethanol in a family members boat a few months back at a marina on either Sturgeon or Balsam.

For people who aren’t letting the fuel sit for long periods and are regularly burning it, 87 regular ethanol is fine in many situations, even on the water. I ran 87 ethanol in both our jetskis for years, only filling with no ethanol for the last fill of the season, same as I do with the motorcycles.
Wow - that surprises me. Was it a station that pumps to cars too?

Almost everything will run fine on blends up to 10%, the problem is ethanol is a fairly strong solvent - it attacks older style gaskets, fuel lines, fuel pump parts and is murder for fiberglass fuel tanks. Lower MPG makes a big difference in boats -- this gets worse as methanol blended gasoline oxidizes quickly, if you're not emptying your marine fuel tank within 30 days you have further performance and mileage penalties.

Oh well, I guess the marine-ice party is coming to an end - I might have to start thinking about Sperry's and one of those wind powered thingies.

We had a lot of problems with the small engines on backup/reserve trucks at the fire hall - older chainsaws, small generators, pumps, that sort of thing... Between the carbs getting crapped up, and fuel lines; ethanol fuel led to a lot of maintenance and replacements.
not good. hmmm. maybe someone should start offering local gov's 5 gallon containers of ethanol free (race gas or cheaper?) to be used by fire dept for their small engines...keep cans sealed and unopened until needed.
could be a business opportunity here..lots of fire stations across canada-and a repeat business shrug. being a fireman er fire person would be a sales benefit I think.

not good. hmmm. maybe someone should start offering local gov's 5 gallon containers of ethanol free (race gas or cheaper?) to be used by fire dept for their small engines...keep cans sealed and unopened until needed.
could be a business opportunity here..lots of fire stations across canada-and a repeat business shrug. being a fireman er fire person would be a sales benefit I think.
You can buy fuel in sealed containers that apparently dont go bad. Something like $10/L. Some people swear by it even though it is far more expensive. At the volume of fuel required for four strokes (normally higher hp), cost may he prohibitive.

Back
Top Bottom