Selling a custom bike | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Selling a custom bike

Doesn't matter I could buy it unfit get a safety tomorrow and be riding it the next day. Not hard to get a safety if it looks semi legit. Just sell it as is the ownership goes unfit as soon as it changes hands.

Sent using a thumb maybe 2
Just don't crash it insurer's play hardball on customs that are insured as regular bikes.

There is no need to change it to "unfit" while the motorcycle is in your hands. It's automatically going to become "unfit" for the next owner anyhow, unless they get a safety inspection certificate, in which case, it isn't your problem any more.

What you should do, is make sure the MoT knows that you've sold the bike, to protect against a foreseeable situation in which the next owner doesn't transfer the paperwork. For starters, keep your license plate. Write up a bill of sale (obviously containing the words "as is, without warranty"). After the money and bike change hands, take that bill of sale, and your current ownership paperwork, and your old license plate, to ServiceOntario and tell them the vehicle is no longer yours, and you want to make sure you are no longer liable for anything in the event that the next owner doesn't transfer the ownership properly.

On a related note, aside from the safety standards inspection, even if someone manages to get through that, it's going to be near impossible to get legitimate insurance on a modified vehicle.

There is no need to change it to "unfit" while the motorcycle is in your hands. It's automatically going to become "unfit" for the next owner anyhow, unless they get a safety inspection certificate, in which case, it isn't your problem any more.

What you should do, is make sure the MoT knows that you've sold the bike, to protect against a foreseeable situation in which the next owner doesn't transfer the paperwork. For starters, keep your license plate. Write up a bill of sale (obviously containing the words "as is, without warranty"). After the money and bike change hands, take that bill of sale, and your current ownership paperwork, and your old license plate, to ServiceOntario and tell them the vehicle is no longer yours, and you want to make sure you are no longer liable for anything in the event that the next owner doesn't transfer the ownership properly.

On a related note, aside from the safety standards inspection, even if someone manages to get through that, it's going to be near impossible to get legitimate insurance on a modified vehicle.
Pretty sure I was able to do that over the phone not that long ago.

For the people saying just sell unfit and it’s not your problem.
This is not always correct.
Few years back my brother in law sold an old clapped out Camaro.
He made the mistake of saying to the young man buying it that he didn’t think it would take much to safety.
The young man bought the car AS IS and then when he took it to a garage for safety the mechanic told him it would need more than the car was worth.
The young man took my Brother in law to court over a $1500 car but he won.
My brother in law had to pay the man $1500 back because the car was not able to pass a safety with just a little work. And to boot the garage would not release the car unless he paid them the labour to go over the car for the safety and have it towed as it was not fit to be driven away from the shop. As far as I know it was scrapped to pay the mechanic and my brother lost a days pay for the court date and never got anything for the car.

So be careful how you represent even verbally it can come back on you.

For the people saying just sell unfit and it’s not your problem.
This is not always correct.
Few years back my brother in law sold an old clapped out Camaro.
He made the mistake of saying to the young man buying it that he didn’t think it would take much to safety.
The young man bought the car AS IS and then when he took it to a garage for safety the mechanic told him it would need more than the car was worth.
The young man took my Brother in law to court over a $1500 car but he won.
My brother in law had to pay the man $1500 back because the car was not able to pass a safety with just a little work. And to boot the garage would not release the car unless he paid them the labour to go over the car for the safety and have it towed as it was not fit to be driven away from the shop. As far as I know it was scrapped to pay the mechanic and my brother lost a days pay for the court date and never got anything for the car.

So be careful how you represent even verbally it can come back on you.
That's why all my used junk goes to the auction I get good dollars and they can't come back on you. Thinking about it know you could sell the bike at Bryan's auctions or similar and not have to worry or deal with Kijiji people.

George Carlin said it best...

Some people's stuff is ****... Other people's **** is stuff.

hey... move this **** outta here... i have to put my stuff here!

Insurance company asked if my bikes frame was cut or welded in anyway. If yes not insurable. Do to too many garbage customs being hacked together and failing. New MTO regulations are coming. Safety every two years and more.

Insurance company asked if my bikes frame was cut or welded in anyway. If yes not insurable. Do to too many garbage customs being hacked together and failing. New MTO regulations are coming. Safety every two years and more.
Wow. For bikes only or all vehicles? That really drives up the ownership costs of anything captured by that policy.

Unless they were marginal at the last safety.
That's what I was thinking. Five year schedule but mechanic can give a conditional pass that shortens cycle to two years if there are obvious major issues developing but are not yet at the level to be considered "unsafe". Obviously things like brakes and tires have a shorter life cycle but the vast majority of people keep those reasonable already and police can send you for a safety if they think you look shady.

Commercial trucks and trailers have annual inspections already. I doubt the province has the manpower or resources to do it with private vehicles.

Commercial trucks and trailers have annual inspections already. I doubt the province has the manpower or resources to do it with private vehicles.
Huh? It won't be provincial, it will be a make work project like e-test. To get your sticker you need a piece of paper or note in the computer system that you have been inspected within the last 30 days. Gold mine for mechanics as they can extort the entire population every year.

Nova Scotia is a 2 year inspection no body rust etc.

I assume that means no perforation rust. Floor pans, chassis members and holes where someone could cut a finger etc.

I recall being in my buddy's shop and a particular van came in for a safety. He went right to a point on the chassis and found a rusted out cross member. It was a common problem with that particular vehicle. There was no need to pull wheels and measure brake parts. The van wasn't worth the repair cost and no need to do a $100.00 plus safety.

Another day he was getting prices from the wreckers for a not that old Ram van, the little one. It looked good but needed a new cylinder head. The parts and labour were approaching the value of the used vehicle and the owner was cutting his losses. This wasn't a safety check.

I don't think the regular safety checks are a bad idea but a bit more logic may be needed.

Does a two year old vehicle need a safety?

Is the vehicle owned or leased? My guess would be that an owned car gets better maintenance and less abuse. With a lease who cares.

Can the lease company self regulate? Some are really good because they have to sell the cars when the lease is up and they want top dollar.

We report the mileage so is a mileage base a better measure?

The bi-annuals will take a lot of cars off the road but drives another nail into the financial coffins of the lower income crowd.

If you look at the tests in isolation they're good but the lower income crowd doesn't have the money to pay for a new vehicle, the money to insure it or access to the technology to economically fix it themselves.

Our urban sprawl is without decent public transportation. I know a lady who commuted by public transportation from Scarborough to Etobicoke. Then the company moved to Erin Mills. The company just relocated again to south Brampton. She spends four hours a day shunting from ride to ride.

Go to the housing market thread for more enlightenment on the housing cost subject. Transportation and housing costs are related. If Scotty from Star Trek could beam people from Timmins or Kapuskasing to the GTA in a few seconds we'd have it made.

Minimal income workers may have more than one job and a car is needed to make the trip from job to job possible.

What is the life expectancy of the typical vehicle?

Will there be replacement circuit chips for every vehicle in 10 years when they can't find them for the new cars sitting in storage lots? I smell a rat.

To pass will cars that have been modified require OEM parts and adjustments? Lowered, jacked, cambered, noisy and tinted are questionable.

The clean air frenzy may be doing more harm that good. To get lower weights they use more plastic and less metal. Plastic is harder to recycle. Metal is relatively easy. Metal is easier to patch.

As usual the politicians miss the bigger picture. They aren't working for the minimum wage.

I am not aware of a rash of crashes resulting from vehicle mechanical failures. The vast majority are from driver error ... as it always has been.

If the issue is noisy vehicles leading to complaints, then address that.
If the issue is circumvention of emission controls leading to air pollution, then address that. The current government already expressed its views on this by eliminating Drive Clean - and in view of the minuscule number of failures on newer vehicles, that was probably not wrong. YES there is the odd emissions-defeated vehicle that will be staying on the roads because of this - but the number of them is tiny.
If the issue is modified vehicles leading to stupid behaviour then address the behaviour. (Stunt driving, anyone?) Theoretically the more radically modified vehicles aren't insurable, anyhow.

I don't own a vehicle that is not modified. They're all "safely" modified. If the approach is taken that only absolutely bone-stock vehicles can be "safe" and any aftermarket modification, no matter how well executed, means the vehicle is unsafe for the roads, then that's going to be a problem.

Back
Top Bottom