Selling a custom bike | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Selling a custom bike

I am not aware of a rash of crashes resulting from vehicle mechanical failures. The vast majority are from driver error ... as it always has been.

If the issue is noisy vehicles leading to complaints, then address that.
If the issue is circumvention of emission controls leading to air pollution, then address that. The current government already expressed its views on this by eliminating Drive Clean - and in view of the minuscule number of failures on newer vehicles, that was probably not wrong. YES there is the odd emissions-defeated vehicle that will be staying on the roads because of this - but the number of them is tiny.
If the issue is modified vehicles leading to stupid behaviour then address the behaviour. (Stunt driving, anyone?) Theoretically the more radically modified vehicles aren't insurable, anyhow.

I don't own a vehicle that is not modified. They're all "safely" modified. If the approach is taken that only absolutely bone-stock vehicles can be "safe" and any aftermarket modification, no matter how well executed, means the vehicle is unsafe for the roads, then that's going to be a problem.
Agree. To me, if government thought there were specific issues that deserved attention (stancey bois or emissions issues come to mind), it would make more sense to have targeted enforcement (eg encourage police/mto to hand out many more inspection slips). To avoid hammering people too badly, maybe allow an inspection completed in the last six months to be valid so morons that attract attention only need ~two inspections per year.

This sure seems like a lobbying law where it will generate untold riches for mechanic shops with little societal benefit.

This sure seems like a lobbying law where it will generate untold riches for mechanic shops with little societal benefit.
Like the clean air thing... where the shop had to buy an expensive in-floor dyno set-up... and then make it redundant before anyone had a chance to pay for the thing and THEN make the shop buy a NEW computer setup

... I think your "untold riches" may be a hard sell.
... BUT we already have all these laws on the books, AND we already have a process to deal with this... but the local constabulary are NOT mechanics, nor do they want to be.
Commercial vehicles have mandated inspections, but when the MOT runs spot checks on commercial vehicle about 30% of the inspected vehicles FAIL, some rather spectacularly fail, like there was no way it passed an annual inspection

Like the clean air thing... where the shop had to buy an expensive in-floor dyno set-up... and then make it redundant before anyone had a chance to pay for the thing and THEN make the shop buy a NEW computer setup

... I think your "untold riches" may be a hard sell.
... BUT we already have all these laws on the books, AND we already have a process to deal with this... but the local constabulary are NOT mechanics, nor do they want to be.
Commercial vehicles have mandated inspections, but when the MOT runs spot checks on commercial vehicle about 30% of the inspected vehicles FAIL, some rather spectacularly fail, like there was no way it passed an annual inspection
Safeties should require zero investment from businesses (other than potentially additional space/bodies to process far more than they currently do).

I don't expect cops to be mechanics. They do have a mechanism to issue you paperwork that requires submitting a safety from a mechanic within x days. That's all we need. Just use that more if gov't thinks something needs addressed. No legislation required. No bending over 100% of the population for minimal benefit.

When I did the police mto tows for seizures. Spot check safety fails. Some fail spectacularly. Towed one with a hole big enough to put my head through in the floor. As the owner said I didn’t ask the mechanic to do a Stevie wonder safety. Mechanic had his tick pulled and had to fight to get it back. When I lived in BC back in 1989/90 no safeties but random road side checks. Lots of fails.

NB, also, (not sure if they still do), had bi annual safety checks, you got a sticker that was REQUIRED to be on the windshield. EVERY time, I pulled a vehicle over first thing we checked was the sticker. They were colour coded for year of issue, so as you drove past a vehicle in the opposite direction you could pick out the expired ones.

I think in EARLY 80's the cost was $35, for the inspection. The ticket was about $75 for expired, normally didn't, (although we had the option), to remove the plates and have the vehicle towed.

I don;t believe there was an exception for any vehicles, even those sold by dealerships. I 100% agree, there is really NO justification for a NEW or even vehicle up to say 3 years, to be included.

Back
Top Bottom