Seats on new motorcycles | GTAMotorcycle.com

Seats on new motorcycles

Roadghost

Why are the seats on most new motorcycles so hard? What are they using for rubber foam, hockey pucks? The aftermarket for seats is exploding. I remember the 1970 and 1980 standard bikes had very comfortable seats. What on earth happened? Why aren't moto-journalists saying anything? Don't know any better? /rant.

Why are the seats on most new motorcycles so hard? What are they using for rubber foam, hockey pucks? The aftermarket for seats is exploding. I remember the 1970 and 1980 standard bikes had very comfortable seats. What on earth happened? Why aren't moto-journalists saying anything? Don't know any better? /rant.
This would seem rather subjective?

Quite subjective. The stock seat from my 1989 Yamaha FZR400 would like to have a word with anyone who thinks old bikes are more comfy than new ones.

On sporty models, excessively plush seats hamper the ability of the rider to shift their weight around on the bike, and rob seat-of-the-pants road feel.

There's also a fair bit of science in this. At least in the automotive world, I find the relatively firm but well-shaped seats in a VW to be more comfortable on long trips than the flimsy soft pillows of an old American car.

'84 I bought had a custom seat on it.

The only stock seat I have found comfortable was a 1982 Honda Nighthawk. Everything else I’ve tried has been very uncomfortable, new and old bikes alike. I have read that the BMW seats on a lot of their models are quite good and I personally thought the Multistrada seat was pretty good for a stock offering.

I can only do 45min on a stock VStrom seat and yet some others can tour all day on them. It’s a very personal thing, so I’m not sure why manufacturers would want to drop significant investment into something that gets modified or replaced so much.

The Tenere is the first bike with a great seat. After i modified it to take the forwarded tilt out it's perfect for me. At least it was cheap. Five thinner rubber bumpers from Yamaha.

You are skinny, others, like me, bring their own cushions permanently attached to their butts, so I, personally, can tolerate riding all day on my stock seat.
Don't mistake my svelteness for skinny, these are buns of steel.

It's times like this when you feel really old, but a 650 Seca like this I rode for hours and hours at a stretch. Seat was wide, soft and comfortable.
R.e7158f122dc1a2b2d68e363ddca3ade3

Look at the seat on this one too. About 8" of foam, you can slide forward or back without any problems. Fantastically comfortable.
OIP.toO8NmrEwTtXFg36vapdBwHaFj

Exhibit C. Notice the slim piece of hard rubber. You can't slide backward and forward. It cambers you forward and crushes your balls up against the tank. Your tailbone is punished by the rock hard rear seat step. It's all styling and no comfort. Countless other bikes like it on the market.
2020-ktm-890-duke-r-launch-price-specs-6-696x464.jpg

The seat on my Tracer was noticeably softer than the one on the 2016 Versys that was sitting beside the Tracer at the dealer. Yet i still had to make a customized seatpad that is actually contoured to my butt (long story as to how I did that) it is now 10x better however I still kinda get a sore butt but the discomfort is a lot more widespread and feels different.....I think it has to do with blood circulation.

It's times like this when you feel really old, but a 650 Seca like this I rode for hours and hours at a stretch. Seat was wide, soft and comfortable.
R.e7158f122dc1a2b2d68e363ddca3ade3

Look at the seat on this one too. About 8" of foam, you can slide forward or back without any problems. Fantastically comfortable.
OIP.toO8NmrEwTtXFg36vapdBwHaFj

Exhibit C. Notice the slim piece of hard rubber. You can't slide backward and forward. It cambers you forward and crushes your balls up against the tank. Your tailbone is punished by the rock hard rear seat step. It's all styling and no comfort. Countless other bikes like it on the market.
2020-ktm-890-duke-r-launch-price-specs-6-696x464.jpg

the third bike isnt designed to be a comfy couch, for bikes like #1 and #2 see(both are 2021 models):

72-v7-stone-centenario.jpg

or
2021-triumph-t100-17.jpg

I have a few oldies and a few late model bikes. UJM era seats had more foam and were softer - like a comfy couch cushion. They however were slippery, not well-shaped for hours of riding, and did nothing to lock the rider in for better handling.

In 1975 Honda made an attempt by providing some UJM goldwings with a saddle style seat that upped the comfort on long rides (although butt ugly).

Later bikes designed saddles for the application. Cruisers and sets have all day seats, ADVs too, although harder and deeper.

Overall I think seats are as good now as they have ever been. Aftermarket is vibrant, so if one needs something different from stock, they cover your ass.

Softer doesn't mean more comfortable. My KTM has a harder seat than my Suzuki but it feels more comfortable, and I get less sore on long rides.

Brian's FZR and this KTM are essentially street legal race bikes. I have an old GS850 with a big, comfy couch seat, yet I find it uncomfortable too. In fact, I don't think that I have ever ridden a "all day comfortable" bike. I am envious of you iron butt guys (wait, that sounds weird).

I've got to agree about the comfort level of old vs. new, while acknowledging that I am now old vs. young.

"Back in the day" I would spend 6-7 hrs in the saddle without any particular discomfort. On my 1987 BMW K100RS I rode 9 hrs. straight one day without any backside issues. Though the foam was tired in 2005 when I sold it, the basic shape was still effective and with a refresh would still be comfy.

Every bike I've owned since then has required an aftermarket seat to permit me to spend as much time in the saddle as I prefer. Admittedly, there have been mostly KTM's over that time but there was also a Triumph and a Harley. The absolute worst seat I ever encountered was the stock seat on my 2012 KTM 990 SMT. It literally could have me in tears after 45 minutes. It created pressure on my tailbone that was excruciating. One year on the way back from the CMG rally in Paris I stood up at the Ford plant in Oakville because of the pain and rode the rest of the way home to Port Hope standing. This was the first bike I added an aftermarket seat to.

I've had good luck with Corbin seats. The stock seat on my KTM 1090 ADV is the best I've had from KTM, but a good deal got me a slightly used Corbin. The bike has a range of +400km. before the light comes on and I can now go 2 full tanks in comfort. Lowered pegs help too, and a touring windscreen is the icing on the cake.

Right on about the seats on newer bikes!
I have had luck with an Airhawk (most kindly donated by a forum member).

The seat on my Tracer was noticeably softer than the one on the 2016 Versys that was sitting beside the Tracer at the dealer. Yet i still had to make a customized seatpad that is actually contoured to my butt (long story as to how I did that) it is now 10x better however I still kinda get a sore butt but the discomfort is a lot more widespread and feels different.....I think it has to do with blood circulation.

I have the same bike. OEM seat is junk, Bagster seat that came with it is better, but still only good for 1.5 hours max. I've been using an Air Hawk overlay and it is a godsent, has given me reasonable all day comfort which for me means about 8 - 5 with stops every 2.5 hours for coffee, gas, lunch or bio break. I have sent an email to Terry Adcox re a custom seat, waiting to hear back from him, I hear he may not be well. Had a Russell Day Long on the ST, a true all day seat. Corbin might be an option as well. Will probably be ordering something over the winter break.

Has anyone used Seat Concepts foam replacement on their bike?

Has anyone used Seat Concepts foam replacement on their bike?

Yes, I have it on my KTM. 100% improvement. I have one of those air seat pads on top of it too. Quite comfortable now. Stock seat was a bad joke, painful after 45mins.

Yes, I have it on my KTM. 100% improvement. I have one of those air seat pads on top of it too. Quite comfortable now. Stock seat was a bad joke, painful after 45mins.
Were you guys able to use a standard staple gun to re-attach the cover to the pan? Looks to me like a industrial one would be needed.

Back
Top Bottom