Searched & arrested | Page 6 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Searched & arrested

You are lucky we don't live in the U.S. Over there, if they find a computer, tablet or smartphone while arresting you for not wearing your seatbelt, you are required by law to give up any access passwords they need to rifle through your device. For now, they can't pull that **** off in Canada, but I think that'll change very soon.

Only if they are arresting you as a terrorist.

Only if they are arresting you as a terrorist.

Actually it was valid for any arrestable offense, and that includes not wearing your seatbelt. I'm just waiting for that to become a reality here as well.

This thread is getting ridiculous. That would NEVER be allowed to happen in the US, and most of what is being said is entirely false. YES an officer can arrest you and search you under certain grounds while being investigated for careless driving, but I assure you that does NOT happen. People, please speak up and tell me how many people you know that have been charged with Careless driving, and how many of them were arrested and searched? DOESN'T happen.....period.

You are lucky we don't live in the U.S. Over there, if they find a computer, tablet or smartphone while arresting you for not wearing your seatbelt, you are required by law to give up any access passwords they need to rifle through your device. For now, they can't pull that **** off in Canada, but I think that'll change very soon.
I thought that was only US border guards that search electronic devices without a warrant...did the law change to allow all LEO to do this?

I thought that was only US border guards that search electronic devices without a warrant...did the law change to allow all LEO to do this?

They don't even to be arresting you, at the border. You're subject to search, which includes your electronic devices.

It's not throughout the US...There has been a recent rash of this happening in Michigan. COps, during traffic stops, have been searching thru driver's electronics, as part of the traffic stop. Activists are fighting it as I type this.

Thats a violation of your right. I dont believe that for a second.

And also, where in the hell are the ARRESTING people for not wearing a seat belt? I smell bullshiet

This thread is getting ridiculous. That would NEVER be allowed to happen in the US, and most of what is being said is entirely false. YES an officer can arrest you and search you under certain grounds while being investigated for careless driving, but I assure you that does NOT happen. People, please speak up and tell me how many people you know that have been charged with Careless driving, and how many of them were arrested and searched? DOESN'T happen.....period.

You have just answered your own question. Ontario law gives police the option to arrest you for careless driving. It also gives police the option to impound your vehicle until your trial. Whether they choose to do so in each and every case is another story, but they have the choice to do so if they feel a need to do so.

If the lawful option to arrest is there, then the arrest and the search incidental to arrest would have been perfectly legal. Police will search someone who is under arrest as a matter of standard procedure.

Also, don't kid yourself about south of the border. In most US states, it's actually much easier to find yourself under arrest for even the most minor of traffic offences. THeir laws tend to be much harsher than ours. http://www.mit.edu/~jfc/laws.html

Last edited:
Thats a violation of your right. I dont believe that for a second.

And also, where in the hell are the ARRESTING people for not wearing a seat belt? I smell bullshiet

No offence but i don't think this is true in practice. The judges will reprimand a policeman for searching your car because u did not wear a seat belt. If the police actually exercised these powers, there are laws to repudiate that.Its almost like..The is a law against public noise but u will never be arrested for wearing high heels at 3.AM

Well.......
http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/guides/2011/01/why-you-should-always-encrypt-your-smartphone.ars/
What's more, the US Supreme Court has held that police may arrest you for simple misdemeanors, such as driving without a seatbelt or having unpaid parking tickets. While police don't typically arrest individuals for such trivial infractions, all it takes is one unlucky police encounter and you could end up behind bars. If that happens, and your mobile phone is on your person, it may be subject to a warrantless search. If police dig up an incriminating text message, e-mail, or errant image file on your mobile device, it might be enough to convince a judge to issue a search warrant of your property—or, worse, lead to criminal charges being filed against you.

or as of 2006 in the UK...
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/1506500/Now-you-can-be-arrested-for-any-offence.html
Police are to be given sweeping powers to arrest people for every offence, including dropping litter, failure to wear a seat belt and other minor misdemeanours.

The measures, which come into force on Jan 1, are the biggest expansion in decades of police powers to deprive people of their liberty.

Call BS all you want, but I recommend calling a lawyer instead, especially if you're in the U.S. or the U.K. :cool:

Firestart!!! I am shocked!!!!! Check this out against the telegraph article
http://www.homeoffice.gov.uk/police/powers/

The UK has already been pretty bad because the IRA resorted to terrorist tactics.. Osama was a God-send to those who wanted to go even beyond that. Taking photos of police abuse or even heckling at a political convention can have one arrested on terrorist charges. I'm definitely avoiding the U.K. and its lovely CCTV cameras.. Wouldn't wanna go there without a GOOD reason and if I did, I'd keep quiet and GTFO ASAP. It's definitely not a place that a casual tourist would wanna visit. Even the U.S. actually comes off as "land of the free" in comparison :shock:

I'm definitely avoiding the U.K. and its lovely CCTV cameras.. Wouldn't wanna go there without a GOOD reason and if I did, I'd keep quiet and GTFO ASAP. It's definitely not a place that a casual tourist would wanna visit.

Wow - hyperbole much? The UK is one of the top 10 tourist destinations worldwide, and for many good reasons. You don't want to go there, fine, but millions do.

Wow - hyperbole much? The UK is one of the top 10 tourist destinations worldwide, and for many good reasons. You don't want to go there, fine, but millions do.

In that case problem solved.. I'll let them enjoy the natural beauties of the UK and I'll go to countries where there are a hell of a lot fewer CCTV cameras and where an educated law-abiding citizen doesn't have to get jumpy every time he sees a uniform :cool:

if it's a repost, ok, then watch it again or for someone who don't know your right

wrong way to handle police stop
[video=youtube;KaCe6nQUX5c]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KaCe6nQUX5c[/video]

right way to handle police stop
[video=youtube;eDJrQBwJpqk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eDJrQBwJpqk[/video]

This thread is so ridiculous, and SO full of non-factual information. Anyone who thinks that an officer can search your car if you are not wearing a seat-belt, or actually searches and impounds your car until a trial (upwards of a year), without SERIOUS repercussions (one being in-admissible evidence), is a fool. GO spend a few days (or years like I have) in the Criminal Justice System and you will agree with me. Its a shame how these threads go off in different directions then intended.

if it's a repost, ok, then watch it again or for someone who don't know your right

wrong way to handle police stop
[video=youtube;KaCe6nQUX5c]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KaCe6nQUX5c[/video]

right way to handle police stop
[video=youtube;eDJrQBwJpqk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eDJrQBwJpqk[/video]

COULDN'T be more accurate ;)

Back
Top Bottom