Searched & arrested | GTAMotorcycle.com

Searched & arrested

Well first of all I'd like to say I find the fact that I was arrested TOTALLY ridiculous and over the top, but anyway.

Last night on a residential street, a black car in front of me was doing about 20-30km/h and seemed as if it were about to pull over to the right. I passed this car "above the 40 posted" using the oncoming lane. I reached the end a moment later and stopped at a stop sign. Looked to my left, and this black car had chased up next to me and turned out to be an unmarked with two uniform officers.

They get me off the bike, begin to search me and as they were, asked if I had anything on me so I admitted to having $20 or so worth of weed.

Searched me completely, confiscated it, handcuffed and threw me in the back of the car. I asked why I was being arrested, he said for possesion... of ****ing $20 worth? ..anyway

Half an hour later, uncuffed and handed release papers to sign, received two tickets. Possession (which I'm not worried about) and a ticket for careless driving -- court date for both is in a couple of months.

So... I've done some research, talked to my lawyer, got a few things in mind but I'm here in case I missed anything, asking for: feedback from someone who might have had a similar experience, and advice on HOW I should/could fight the careless driving ticket.

Thanks

Last edited:
Well first of all I'd like to say I find the fact that I was arrested TOTALLY ridiculous and over the top, but anyway.

Last night on a residential street, a black car in front of me was doing about 20-30km/h and seemed as if it were about to pull over to the right. I passed this car "above the 40 posted" using the oncoming lane. I reached the end a moment later and stopped at a stop sign. Looked to my left, and this black car had chased up next to me and turned out to be an unmarked with two uniform officers.

They get me off the bike, begin to search me and as they were, asked if I had anything on me so I admitted to having $20 or so worth of weed.

Searched me completely, confiscated it, handcuffed and threw me in the back of the car. I asked why I was being arrested, he said for possesion... of ****ing $20 worth? ..anyway

Half an hour later, uncuffed and handed release papers to sign, received two tickets. Possession (which I'm not worried about) and a ticket for careless driving -- court date for both is in a couple of months.

So... I've done some research, talked to my lawyer, got a few things in mind but I'm here in case I missed anything, asking for: feedback from someone who might have had a similar experience, and advice on HOW I should/could fight the careless driving ticket.

Thanks

At the source of your name, you would have gotten nothing for the traffic ticket, and a nasty long prison sentence and / or hanging for the weed. The possession charge doesn't worry you? Won't effect your job prospects in the future? I would be more worried about the drug charge than the traffic charge.

admit to nothing, too late now. You can plea to reduce to charge to an unsafe lane change or something. The pocession will bite u in the *** when you try and cross the boarder.

Can someone refresh my memory? Can't you not safely pass in a residential zone??

At the source of your name, you would have gotten nothing for the traffic ticket, and a nasty long prison sentence and / or hanging for the weed. The possession charge doesn't worry you? Won't effect your job prospects in the future? I would be more worried about the drug charge than the traffic charge.

I know it can be bad, but I have a feeling that I can easily get off that charge and not have a mark on my record. Not sure how much will be done about the careless driving though.

admit to nothing, too late now. You can plea to reduce to charge to an unsafe lane change or something. The pocession will bite u in the *** when you try and cross the boarder.

I wouldn't have admitted if they were not already beginning to search me anyway... no point in lying if they were going to find it regardless of what I said :/

I wouldn't have admitted if they were not already beginning to search me anyway... no point in lying if they were going to find it regardless of what I said :/

Dont they need consent before they search u??

Yes they do. But I didn't think about that in the heat of the moment, and since he was beginning to search me anyway and I was panicked, I admitted to it instead of denying it only to get caught lying anyways.

Thanks

If I were to be riding/driving with any drug, weed or any other that is deemed illegal, I would follow every traffic law. hypothecially speaking of coarse. good luck with the charges. In the future maybe tone it down a bit when you're packing something our government says is illegal.

This is why you don't say anything more than, "yes", "no", "goodbye" to a cop when they pull you over.

If you don't consent what r the po po's options?

They can't do ANYTHING. You simply should not have told them you had it on you. Even if they DID still search and find it, you would have gotten off for un-reasonable search. They cannot search you simply because you violated a HTA offense. When it comes to Police.....the rule is to ALWAYS say nothing. Too bad you said that, because that then gave them the right to locate it, and charge you. This will not be as easy to get off as you may think, and it will have HUGE repercussions in many other areas in the future, trust that.

I see. That's just great. My future potentially damaged for ****ing nothing.

I wouldn't say for nothing.... Nothing would be getting a marred record for something you didn't do.
There is that small little thing....the fact that you had illegal contraband on youin the first place. That's mistake #1. You did something dumb. Mistake # 2 was admitting it to the cops. You told the cops about the dumb thing that you did.

Like it or not, possession of cannabis is illegal, no matter how much or little you have. I have always advocated that cannabis should be regulated and possession not be a criminal charge.

Worry about the possession charge. If convicted you will also have a black mark against you when you travel to the US. This will stay with you for LIFE until you get rid of it from the RCMP database.

The careless driving charge you can beat. If it was safe to pass and you did it safely there should not be an issue.

Yep I'm a criminal because I had little weed enough to get me a couple joints here and there to help me sleep since I have insomnia. But no, of course I deserve to have a mark on my clean record as a warning for my future employers and boarder agents since if convicted I'm now deemed a liability and a threat (Y). Whoopty fkn doo.

Was that really worth it? Was I killing and raping people? (Something that seems to happen occasionally in the neighbourhood I got stopped in). No, this is not worth having the "justice system" and the cops possibly ****ing up my future .

Never been pulled over nor arrested before, how the hell was I supposed to know what to say or do while I'm mentally all over the map? He went to search me. Why would I lie when I can smell it, and he can smell it, and hes about to find it on me regardless? I was ****ed the minute I was pulled over. They can't search me unless they have reasonable suspicion, and I wasn't sure if being able to smell it or not was reasonable enough (since they mentioned getting a "wiff" of something) so I pulled the honesty card. I don't call that being "dumb".

Last edited:
Like it or not, possession of cannabis is illegal, no matter how much or little you have. I have always advocated that cannabis should be regulated and possession not be a criminal charge.

Worry about the possession charge. If convicted you will also have a black mark against you when you travel to the US. This will stay with you for LIFE until you get rid of it from the RCMP database.

The careless driving charge you can beat. If it was safe to pass and you did it safely there should not be an issue.

True... Will see what my lawyers can do.

Question, if I end up instead sentenced to just do a couple of community service hours, does that still come with a conviction and a stain on my record?

When I was arrested about 10 years ago for a piece of bud left in my pipe I got the charge withdrawn with a 50$ "donation" to the salvation army. In that case there was no other charge against me.

If you get a half decent lawyer I would say you have nothing to really worry about. If you're really concerned about the pot charge, just plead to the HTA violation and I'm sure the crown will withdraw the pot charge.

THis last post is a good piece of advice. If you can take the traffic violation and increased insurance rates for a few yrs, it's better than having a criminal record held over your head for employment and travel headaches, that's for sure.

Is it the same court though? One is CCC and on HTA no?

Back
Top Bottom