Scala comunicators any good ? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Scala comunicators any good ?

HERBXX

I have have a old set of collet communicators that are barely ok. Does anyone have experience with the scala products. I am most interested in clarity of communications and range.

Thanks
Herb

I have have a old set of collet communicators that are barely ok. Does anyone have experience with the scala products. I am most interested in clarity of communications and range.

Thanks
Herb

Do you have a link to these Scala things?

I love my G9! My friend got our entire group to by them when they went on sale! Wait for them to go on sale though. Got them from www.BikerLeathers.ca. THey usually have 20-40% off sales. Def worth it!
Did I mention they're super clear on the other end? No wind can be heard.
And if you have Iphone, Siri works great! Although, it doesn't pick up odd spelled/sounding names very well. That's the only flaw I see.

The gf and i scored a pair of BNIB Q2's for 200$ on eBay. The Q2 is an older model.
They work really well and we havent had a single issue with range. I leave her behind often when there are sweet curves ahead of me.

On solo rides i listen to music via bluetooth and it lasts a reasonable amount of time before needing a charge.

The G4 and G9 series are newer and supposedly better. G9 is advertised to have twice the range as my Q2.

I have a G4. Must say I'm a little mixed on it. Above 100km/h the speakers are too quiet (I wear earplugs) and the microphone doesn't pickup my voice. My new Bell RS-1 seems a lot quieter than my old Shark RSR2, hopefully the Scala will perform better in it. Below 100km/h, it works quite well for phone calls. The speakers are pretty tinny for music, you'd think with the price they ask for these things, they would include better/louder speakers.

Other issue is battery life, streaming music over bluetooth, it lasts about 8. If you're doing a full day of riding, that's simply not long enough. Sure you can plug it in to charge it, but then it turns off, so you can't charge it and have it on at the same time. Something like this should really have a 12 hour battery life.

Next, it seems to have a very short bluetooth range. Having my iPhone in my pant pocket, it will intermittently cut out for a split second here and there. If I have my iPhone in a case, it simply doesn't work unless I put it in the top pocket of my jacket. This could be a phone issue though, have to change out my iPhone, will see if it's any different.

Saying that, the G4 is the only one I've tried so I can't say if it's better or worse than others.

Must be the streaming music as my battery life is days even with the BT on for phones.

Make sure your antennae is up for range.

I've got Q2 and G4 - both work well but are prone to losing a channel to moisture.
I think I might go Senna next time.

Must be the streaming music as my battery life is days even with the BT on for phones.

Make sure your antennae is up for range.

I've got Q2 and G4 - both work well but are prone to losing a channel to moisture.
I think I might go Senna next time.

For sure music is the factor, but for anyone that listens to music while riding (which is everyone I know) 8 hours is just not enough. At the very least, allow it to charge and operate at the same time.

Antenna makes no difference on the bluetooth issue

But you don't have to do it that way.
The speakers suck for music.
Use earphones and a cable for music. You will get much better sound and much lower battery draw.
Use the Scala at the same time for chat, phone and voice nav.

In my case I use the earphones for Nav and music ( as the Nav puts the music on hold ) and the Scala for chat and phone.
You do need a set of earphones like Ultimate Ears with an off/pause button to make this work well but once set up it's flawless and long lasting tho the iPhone needs a 12 volt socket as Nav eats the battery.
Music only its good for all day and more

I had a pair of Q2's and was very happy with them. Very tough and durable units. Now I have the G9's and though I have not really given them a thorough test, I am happy with everything I have done with them so far.

Most of complaints about insufficient volume w/ Scala (or other communicators) are usually due to poor speaker placement. I was utterly disappointed with mine as well until I played with where the speakers were placed in my helmet... After a second adjustment the speakers lined up with the ear canal and sound was perfect, even with ear plugs. Now I rarely put the volume past 50% and use it for music, on-road conference call (with no one realizing I'm on the road, let alone riding) and navigation.

...from my Windows phone via Tapatalk

Last edited:
I'm partial to my Sena SMH10.

Syncs reliably, controls are easy to use, and you can charge it while it's in use.

I use the earbud mount so that I can use my in-ear phones.

Mixed feelings personally. The Q9 is the second model I have owned. 2nd year in, I cannot answer the phone via my Q9 anymore....Next time I am definately going to try some other brand.

I'm partial to my Sena SMH10.

Syncs reliably, controls are easy to use, and you can charge it while it's in use.

I use the earbud mount so that I can use my in-ear phones.

Recently i was trying to make the same decision. instead of scala rider, i chose the Sena SMH10.
My reasoning was:
1) not often i encounter 20 riders to share communication with.
2) My #1 use for the product is music, then group intercom, and last Phone. when on the bike i like not having to answer phone etc.
3) 12 hrs of music/phone/intercome before charging.
4) from my research i discovered Sena had better speakers than Scala Rider (referring to #1 for me is music)
5) price is Much cheaper. however, since i have also ordered off ebay an extra bracket so i can use the device on multiple helmets. ;)

so far im very happy with the product. intercom last about 1/2km. music stream is stable up to 100kmh .
and i've also gotten a charger (SAE to USB adapeter) to charge my phone while on the bike.

Recently i was trying to make the same decision. instead of scala rider, i chose the Sena SMH10.
My reasoning was:
1) not often i encounter 20 riders to share communication with.
2) My #1 use for the product is music, then group intercom, and last Phone. when on the bike i like not having to answer phone etc.
3) 12 hrs of music/phone/intercome before charging.
4) from my research i discovered Sena had better speakers than Scala Rider (referring to #1 for me is music)
5) price is Much cheaper. however, since i have also ordered off ebay an extra bracket so i can use the device on multiple helmets. ;)

so far im very happy with the product. intercom last about 1/2km. music stream is stable up to 100kmh .
and i've also gotten a charger (SAE to USB adapeter) to charge my phone while on the bike.

The Sena sounds like the way to go.

Most of complaints about insufficient volume w/ Scala (or other communicators) are usually due to poor speaker placement. I was utterly disappointed with mine as well until I played with where the speakers were placed in my helmet... After a second adjustment the speakers lined up with the ear canal and sound was perfect, even with ear plugs.

Yup - very directional speakers and need to be aligned

My reason for sticking to Scala is more riders have them so easier to find a hookup. Anyone know if Scala can talk to Sena??

G4 range is very long with the antennae up. A mile is what they advertise and in line of sight ( as they all must be ) it's very close to that.

Q2s are about 1/2.

Last edited:
Yup - very directional speakers and need to be aligned

My reason for sticking to Scala is more riders have them so easier to find a hookup. Anyone know if Scala can talk to Sena??

G4 range is very long with the antennae up. A mile is what they advertise and in line of sight ( as they all must be ) it's very close to that.

Q2s are about 1/2.

Nope. unfortunately Sena and Scala cannot communicate with each other... sucks.
I would say market is fairly divided among the various products, and truly unfortunate that this is how these comapanies are trying to monopolize the market.

Unless you call each other via your phones.
For long rides, this could work if you had a way to keep your phone charged and unlimited minutes.

So , Im reading about the G9 and is appears that only 4 units can talk to each other at once ?? I must be missing something here ? Or is that only units can share the same phone call ?

Sena, scala crapped out on me when I needed it most. Sena SMH10 has been reliable so far.

Also buttons are so easy to use.

Back
Top Bottom