Safety requirement. | GTAMotorcycle.com

Safety requirement.

hedo2002

Site Supporter
Question for any of the mechanics that do bike safety certificates.

In a Can Am Spyder group someone posted about installing tires. Most of us run car tires given these bikes don't lean. He had gone to his dealer who obviously refused to install. NO biggie there is a shop in Port Perry that does them.

Then the dealership said yep our manager is attending a meeting about the gov't bringing in "new safety program" that will be requiring ALL vehicles to regularly pass a safety. They also said obviously bikes with car tires will automatically fail.

I called BS on this group Ven the Ford gov't has been reducing vehicle requirements ie plate stickers and ass of today's announcement unless you have tickets/fines/ 407 tolls your plates will begin being auto registered.

As it stands now what is the requirement on the certificate for tires? IE like cars is it more about tread or does it specifically state MC tires as well?

I'm surprised to hear they don't actually use car tires. They don't look like motorcycle tires.

Also this is the first I'm hearing about the plate auto-renewal. Should have been handled that way as soon as they got rid of the renewal fee.

much as I hate the idea of an annual safety sticker , it should/could clean a lot of modified exhaust and crazy offset rims off the road.
Lot of European cars have it for that exact reason. Almost no cars driving around with modified exhausts in Poland. No junk cars falling apart.

Annual check of km and road worthiness.

And people say Canada is too strict for their liking with too many rules. They should try living in a country where everything is scrutinized…

‘But my freedom’

EDIT: this would force manufacturers to actually make street legal equipment, instead of slapping an ‘off road use only’ sticker and wash their hands of their responsibility.

Or maybe I’m just too old.

Last edited:
What's written in the MVSA is just that the tires be "suitable for use", whatever that means. It may mean that there is an interpretation guideline. If I remember right, the design of the bead area is a little different between a motorcycle tire and a car tire because of the side loading differences in cornering.

... which means trikes should use car-design wheels and tires.

... which would be a problem for 3-wheelers of the originally anticipated design, i.e. motorcycle with sidecar.

Rumors of the government bringing in mandatory periodic safety inspections have been circulating for years.

Question for any of the mechanics that do bike safety certificates.

In a Can Am Spyder group someone posted about installing tires. Most of us run car tires given these bikes don't lean. He had gone to his dealer who obviously refused to install. NO biggie there is a shop in Port Perry that does them.

Then the dealership said yep our manager is attending a meeting about the gov't bringing in "new safety program" that will be requiring ALL vehicles to regularly pass a safety. They also said obviously bikes with car tires will automatically fail.

I called BS on this group Ven the Ford gov't has been reducing vehicle requirements ie plate stickers and ass of today's announcement unless you have tickets/fines/ 407 tolls your plates will begin being auto registered.

As it stands now what is the requirement on the certificate for tires? IE like cars is it more about tread or does it specifically state MC tires as well?
Hmmm... is there actually a law that dictates that you must use a certain type of tire on a certain vehicle.

All the descriptions that I can find are vague.

Only that generic "suitable for use" deal.

That phrase could mean anything between "holds air", and being the exact size and type specified in the nameplate of the vehicle with no deviation allowed (some EU countries go to that extent).

Hmmm... is there actually a law that dictates that you must use a certain type of tire on a certain vehicle.

All the descriptions that I can find are vague.
Yes. Trailer tires, car tires and motorcycle tires are all different due to leaning and loading issues. If you dig into it the rim is different in the way the bead interacts with the tire.

Used with caution "Dark side" tires are not instant suicide but not everyone is cautious. Therefore the letter of the law says bike tires on bikes.

BTW some provinces do have annual safeties. I know a lady in Nova Scotia that had to do bodywork on her car for it to pass.

Somewhere I was told that if a person or kid walking by could cut themselves on a jagged edge or hole, it had to be fixed.

Yes. Trailer tires, car tires and motorcycle tires are all different due to leaning and loading issues. If you dig into it the rim is different in the way the bead interacts with the tire.

Used with caution "Dark side" tires are not instant suicide but not everyone is cautious. Therefore the letter of the law says bike tires on bikes.

BTW some provinces do have annual safeties. I know a lady in Nova Scotia that had to do bodywork on her car for it to pass.

Somewhere I was told that if a person or kid walking by could cut themselves on a jagged edge or hole, it had to be fixed.
I am looking for the specific wording... can't seem to come up with anything concrete.

I find this... "(3) A motor tricycle with two front wheels shall not be fitted with a tire of a size or type not intended for operation on a motor tricycle. O. Reg. 116/08, s. 1."

Does anyone make a specific 'moto tricycle' tire?

I am looking for the specific wording... can't seem to come up with anything concrete.

I find this... "(3) A motor tricycle with two front wheels shall not be fitted with a tire of a size or type not intended for operation on a motor tricycle. O. Reg. 116/08, s. 1."

Does anyone make a specific 'moto tricycle' tire?
The manufacturer? OEM.

I expect recurrent safeties to come soon. Douggie auto-renewing plates makes me think they are close. I expect per km road fee added to the bill. I also expect most mechanics to use this as an open license to extort people. Lots of unnecessary items on the list to pad every bill. Don't like it, feel free to go to the crook across the street. Unlimited customers, very limited supply of honest mechanics.

I expect recurrent safeties to come soon. Douggie auto-renewing plates makes me think they are close. I expect per km road fee added to the bill. I also expect most mechanics to use this as an open license to extort people. Lots of unnecessary items on the list to pad every bill. Don't like it, feel free to go to the crook across the street. Unlimited customers, very limited supply of honest mechanics.
Make it like Europe and make it easier to buy a new car then keep the old one going. Sounds like Doug

Sent from the future

We used to have bi-annual emissions inspection, cancelled by the Doug Ford government... one of the first things he did

We used to have bi-annual emissions inspection, cancelled by the Doug Ford government... one of the first things he did
We did? I don't remember ever having to get a bi-annual emissions inspection on any vehicle I've ever owned and I'm almost 56!

At a fixed price and computer controlled. Safety has a lot more touchy-feely components that can be exploited.

We did? I don't remember ever having to get a bi-annual emissions inspection on any vehicle I've ever owned and I'm almost 56!
Yup. Didn't start until vehicle was more than 5 yo iirc. Didn't apply to vehicles pre obd-ii.

Yup. Didn't start until vehicle was more than 5 yo iirc. Didn't apply to vehicles pre obd-ii.
Interesting...so most of my vehicles were leased for 3 years, however my Protege 5 and MX5 I kept for longer and now my Elantra GT I've had for 10 and not once have I had to do a bi-annual inspection...🤷‍♀️

Back
Top Bottom