Rosey Toes - Ted retiring | Page 6 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Rosey Toes - Ted retiring

Doing safety on a bike is simple compared to a car -- there is no detailed inspection report for motorcycles. Cars are way more complicated to safety to be hoisted, wheels removed and

It's an almost entirely visual inspection for wear, damage and missing parts. Then a few simple checks for adjustment and wear items. A seasoned motorcycle mechanic can look over a bike in a few minutes and tell you with certainty if it's a pass or fail.

I've watched Ted do a safety. It took him 5 minutes and he barely looked at the bike. It gets you a piece of paper needed to sell / register a bike, nothing else.
Which is all fun and games when you're the seller not the buyer.
If it could be shown that something was overlooked during the inspection that was safety related and ultimately caused physical harm (or worse) to the new owner, what then ?
Somebody - likely the vendor and the inspection station is in a whole lot of trouble. I for one don't want to take that chance no matter which side of the deal I was on.
Dirty safeties, like dirty licences, no insurance and dirty plates are wrong - period.

Doing safety on a bike is simple compared to a car -- there is no detailed inspection report for motorcycles. Cars are way more complicated to safety to be hoisted, wheels removed and

It's an almost entirely visual inspection for wear, damage and missing parts. Then a few simple checks for adjustment and wear items. A seasoned motorcycle mechanic can look over a bike in a few minutes and tell you with certainty if it's a pass or fail.
Most shops will have a minimum labour charge, usually 0.5 hours to cover the paperwork. On top of that, they have to buy the inspection books from the ministry at (I think) about $25/page.

Which is all fun and games when you're the seller not the buyer.
If it could be shown that something was overlooked during the inspection that was safety related and ultimately caused physical harm (or worse) to the new owner, what then ?
Somebody - likely the vendor and the inspection station is in a whole lot of trouble. I for one don't want to take that chance no matter which side of the deal I was on.
Dirty safeties, like dirty licences, no insurance and dirty plates are wrong - period.
Ted's shop might be a tad bit dirty and possibly out of compliance with local regulations. However, his safeties are immaculate and his penmanship is incredibly!
Just out of curiosity, what is a dirty license and a dirty plate?

Ted's shop might be a tad bit dirty and possibly out of compliance with local regulations. However, his safeties are immaculate and his penmanship is incredibly!
Just out of curiosity, what is a dirty license and a dirty plate?
No legitimate 'M' licence and counterfeit, missing, hidden, or stolen plate.

Canadian tire is my go to as they have no interest in selling any work

Sent from the future
Pre-pandemic I had 5 shops in the local area, 3 MC, and 2 car dealers that did MC safeties. Canadian Tire doesn't do MC safeties unless their mechanic has an MC license.

Today there is only one local shop. Expensive, and mostly specialized in repairing lawnmowers.

Ted has always been a bit of a character, a throwback to hippy dippy days, his shop a shambles, a place to have carry in wheels / tires changed and nothing else unless you had a 15 - 20 year old ++ low value bike that you weren't too fuzzy about, or knew absolutely nothing about. He had his place for some, end of an era.

Will miss his web page.............. Last updated in 2012.

Have to wonder how his poor neighbour will feel after enduring Ted for 30+ years, maybe his property will be sellable if Ted is gone.

Years ago was at Rosey Toes getting a tire changed on a Saturday morning and about 15 members of a HA feeder club rode in with a tire problem. The lead guy told us they were on a run, one of the guys had a slow leak and did we mind if they went to the front of the line........... Of the 10+ people there waiting for service no one, including me, said boo. The guy with the slow leak was over 6' and 250 lb, wearing a T shirt that stated "I Failed Anger Management" and he didn't looked very friendly. 30 minutes later the tire was fixed and they rode off. Ted came out to apologize to us saying it was better to just get them on their way than to argue with them. I agree he did the right thing by fast tracking them through. You'd never see this happening at GP Bikes...........

Last edited:
I've watched Ted do a safety. It took him 5 minutes and he barely looked at the bike. It gets you a piece of paper needed to sell / register a bike, nothing else.
5 whole minutes?!? Lucky!

I got 5 minutes worth of hilarious stories, a number of NSFW anecdotes, a mixed bag of swearwords, and a recommendation for chain lube. Oh, and also the safety, for a motorcycle that has not physically been to his shop (long story).

5 whole minutes?!? Lucky!

I got 5 minutes worth of hilarious stories, a number of NSFW anecdotes, a mixed bag of swearwords, and a recommendation for chain lube. Oh, and also the safety, for a motorcycle that has not physically been to his shop (long story).

Wait he didn’t call your bike a piece of ****? Lucky. I always wondered what brand he actually liked.

This is not good news. His quicky certs are the best, no fuss, no muss. Going to miss his pinball machine.

Most shops will have a minimum labour charge, usually 0.5 hours to cover the paperwork. On top of that, they have to buy the inspection books from the ministry at (I think) about $25/page.
I was going to mention this but wasn't quite sure. I thought it was actually $35/page but than again, I have never purchased that book myself.

Just to save a piece of history in case the site also goes. ..
1684460431867.png

1684462644796.png

Last edited:
Drives like a truck. A very OLD truck with crappy tires and lousy brakes. It is almost awful. It was a mistake.
Eeven with the upgraded front brake?

Back
Top Bottom