Roofing price | GTAMotorcycle.com

Roofing price

nobbie48

Site Supporter
Ours is good for a bit yet but a neighbour is paying $12,000 for his on a 1200 SF bungalow, modest slope. Ours was a third of that thirteen years ago so a bit of sticker shock. The neighbour had his roof done by Home Depot a year later and it has failed. Apparently he isn't the only one. Is there a average price per square?

Do it yourself :| the instructions are right on the back of the package ;)

price varies wildly depending on what shingles
and more importantly your level of urgency

if a homeowner leaves it until the ceiling is about to fall in
they are going to pay through the wazoo

and the warranty racket, is a racket
there is not an asphalt shingle roof that will last 20 years

go for decent quality and workmanship and skip the warranty BS

12K for a little bungalow is a raping, should be half that

I did mine with a small roofer. He charged 1.10/sq foot for stripping, 1.20 to install and I paid for the material and disposal. 1600sq cost me about $6000 all in.

12k god no, like J F said, half of that is closer to the correct price.

These days I get about 10 quotes because of **** like this contractors like to pull, then you have better idea of market prices and experience.

Sent from the Moon!

Reactions: J_F
I just spoke with my guy, he says 1200 sq strip, replace, dispose and typical flashing and 4/22 slope would be about $4500.

“Hey mike, this quote is subject to change as I need to see the place. Typical 1200 sq would be $4500.00 including material and labor. 10 year workmanship warranty, 25 year shingle warranty. Any wood damage would be an additional 80 bucks per sheet”

Warranties are not worth the paper they are written on.We had the "Roofman" do ours and 6 years later it was done.It had a twenty year warranty.They looked at it and said that they would replace the damaged shingles only for free.To redo it would be a prorated value that would leave us with a bill of $4500.The last option was to join a class action lawsuit against the Quebec manufacturer which would leave us with a final bill of about $4000 again because it was 6 years old.BUT we had to use the "Roofman" to do the install and the original manufacturer of the shingles.
Had it done by a local guy for $5000 (lives around the corner) 10 years ago,and it still looks like new.

Mine was 10k tax in. 2500 sq foot bungalow last year including removal and disposal of the old shingles.

Sent from my moto g(7) plus using Tapatalk

Ours is 16 years old and not showing wear. It could make the 20 but the neighbour wasn't so lucky. Apparently HD doesn't do roofs anymore and there's a class action lawsuit.
I did my own the last time around and it lasted 21 without leaking but was curling etc.

He didn't have much choice as his new kitchen was getting leaks. He went with a well known and expensive company, partly because of the fear of the unknown. I thought the 12K was way high.

location is another factor

neighbor across the road with a southern exposure
and no shade trees....may get more or less life from shingles
sun weathering is a factor, as is moss growth from no sun

asphalt shingles are basically a sh!t product
I put them in the same category as drywall
cheap and doesn't require skilled labour to install

I would be doing it myself, but the current roof is 10:12. Bollocks. I hate steep roofs. Probably just pay to let someone else slide off. Current roof is 12 years old and is done. South facing portions have already been replaced. Some stupidity (no downspout extensions from upper roof just destroys the shingles below). I thought it was a venting issue, but the ridge vents are working and attic temps are reasonable. Even with the gravel being gone in some spots, there is not a drop of water on the wood below.

I haven't gotten anyone out for real pricing yet but roofr.com (run by a Toronto guy who apparently subs to vetted local contractors) thought ~10K for a 1600 sq ft floor plate with tons of annoying planes and a steep pitch. Pricing subject to change after site visit. I know it will be a bit worse as half the shingles going to drop onto an elevated patio and have to be wheelbarrowed down three stairs and around the house to get to a bin. (Looking more into roofr, not really impressed with this point "Do Roofr's Vetted Roofing Contractor Partners have Workers Compensation coverage and Liability Insurance? We do our best to ensure our Vetted Roofing Contractor Partners carry both Workers Compensation and Liability Insurance. However, we suggest that you double check and ensure the Roofing Contractor you hire carries Liability Insurance Coverage and all workers are covered under Workers Compensation Insurance. Roofr carries full Liability Insurance and Workers Compensation coverage as well.")

A few people have put up the fancy metal roofs (look like shingles or tile, apparently last forever). Approx ~45k. Happy with them other than the avalanche issues. Not for me.

We had our house done last year, cheapest quotes were around 5K, the highest were 20K+ (give or take), and a few were in the 10 to 15K range, all asphalt singles. The house has a small flat roof (8X10), the rest is a 1.5 story but with a steepish pitch (basically a little better than 45 degrees/12:12,), decent size house. I calculated the size and priced all the materials (down to the exact number of nails) and it was $2600 before tax at home depot prices. Roof was 20 square if I remember correctly.

We went with a roofer that was priced at 10K. He came out, got up on the roof and took a look at everything before quoting. Good responses to emails and questions etc. Had WSIB! (some say they have insurance but it turns out to be car insurance...). Took them three days to do the entire job (average of three guys).

The cheap quotes never came to the house, they did it online (by looking at google). My guess is they just get a local low budget crew, no WSIB, etc.. There is also a big problem in the industry with counterfeit shingles and you have to watch out for that with low quotes--or any quote (roof might only last a few years), check the weight of the delivered shingle...counterfeits are much lighter from my research.

Since we did it last October, we had price issues because all the roofers were fat with cash after the spring storms that year, some were still working through the backlog. We also got a lot of postal code premium IMO. Some thought they could gouge based on location, some I figure quoted high to not get the job...

Home Depot was one of the quotes, it was just a local roofer that came out to quote. They were the highest overall, my guess is the "lifetime warranty" is basically paid for by charging you for two roofs upfront.

We went with grey shingles (pewter colour). Coming from black we noticed a big temp difference on the second floor, much cooler this summer, but also cooler in the winter. In theory they should last longer as the roof does not get as hot... The last ones lasted around 18 years, give or take...hopefully we get 20+ out of the new roof.

Last edited:
A friend of mine had his done in Hamilton about the same time. He ordered a dark grey roof. They showed up with materials and crew when he was at work...wife comes home late afternoon and calls him to ask why the roof was brown! At the time he was really mad about the screw-up.

Contractor offered him two options, a deep discount or to strip it and redo it with the correct shingles in the spring (for the original price). He took option 2, the guy never called him back....he likes his free brown roof now.

A friend of mine had his done in Hamilton about the same time. He ordered a dark grey roof. They showed up with materials and crew when he was at work...wife comes home late afternoon and calls him to ask why the roof was brown! At the time he was really mad about the screw-up.

Contractor offered him two options, a deep discount or to strip it and redo it with the correct shingles in the spring (for the original price). He took option 2, the guy never called him back....he likes his free brown roof now.
Viglink strikes again, another relevant targeted ad. Haha.
s-l500.jpg

I would be doing it myself, but the current roof is 10:12. Bollocks. I hate steep roofs. Probably just pay to let someone else slide off. Current roof is 12 years old and is done. South facing portions have already been replaced. Some stupidity (no downspout extensions from upper roof just destroys the shingles below). I thought it was a venting issue, but the ridge vents are working and attic temps are reasonable. Even with the gravel being gone in some spots, there is not a drop of water on the wood below.

I haven't gotten anyone out for real pricing yet but roofr.com (run by a Toronto guy who apparently subs to vetted local contractors) thought ~10K for a 1600 sq ft floor plate with tons of annoying planes and a steep pitch. Pricing subject to change after site visit. I know it will be a bit worse as half the shingles going to drop onto an elevated patio and have to be wheelbarrowed down three stairs and around the house to get to a bin. (Looking more into roofr, not really impressed with this point "Do Roofr's Vetted Roofing Contractor Partners have Workers Compensation coverage and Liability Insurance? We do our best to ensure our Vetted Roofing Contractor Partners carry both Workers Compensation and Liability Insurance. However, we suggest that you double check and ensure the Roofing Contractor you hire carries Liability Insurance Coverage and all workers are covered under Workers Compensation Insurance. Roofr carries full Liability Insurance and Workers Compensation coverage as well.")

A few people have put up the fancy metal roofs (look like shingles or tile, apparently last forever). Approx ~45k. Happy with them other than the avalanche issues. Not for me.

"We do our best to ensure......" Who pays for the oopsie is their best wasn't good enough. Who pays the lifetime expenses for the crippled worker that fell off the roof?

I had new eaves troughs installed and yup the upper level dumped on the lower level. Fixed it myself.

A paralegal I know says a lot of roofer employees are ex-cons because they can't get work anywhere else. WSIB rates for small general contractors and roofers are obscene. I hear 20%. Mine was 3.5% in my field.

I've consulted on the metal roof avalanche issue and it's not a simple fix. Also you could get several asphalt roofs for the price of a metal one. How long are you going to be there?

I know a 90 year old lady that paid through the nose for a "Lifetime guarantee" metal roof. Do the math.

"We do our best to ensure......" Who pays for the oopsie is their best wasn't good enough. Who pays the lifetime expenses for the crippled worker that fell off the roof?

I had new eaves troughs installed and yup the upper level dumped on the lower level. Fixed it myself.

A paralegal I know says a lot of roofer employees are ex-cons because they can't get work anywhere else. WSIB rates for small general contractors and roofers are obscene. I hear 20%. Mine was 3.5% in my field.

I've consulted on the metal roof avalanche issue and it's not a simple fix. Also you could get several asphalt roofs for the price of a metal one. How long are you going to be there?

I know a 90 year old lady that paid through the nose for a "Lifetime guarantee" metal roof. Do the math.
Yeah, "we do our best" is BS. They should say "we make sure that our vetted contractors provide us with WSIB clearance certificates and proof of two million dollar liability policies and update these yearly". So simple. Not saying that lowers my confidence level dramatically.

If an asphalt roof actually got 25 to 35 years I would be happy. Sadly most seem to get less than 15. I plan on being here for more like 30-40 years. I would love to do steel so I don't need to do it again but the avalanche issue probably rules it out for me. If I had a shallower pitch roof, asphalt is the clear winner as you can reasonably safely walk around on it for gutters/inspections/solar installation/cutting in vents etc.

A recently deceased relative did the lifetime steel roof at the cottage a few years before she died. Every other year, the avalanche tears off the fancy glass deck railing and takes out the stairs. They started with the diamonds at the bottom. They ripped off. They tried something like angle iron near the bottom. That ripped off. Now they are considering diamonds all over the roof or for roughly the same amount of money, tearing the steel roof off the problem slope and installing asphalt.

If your a large tract builder ie: Mattamy you can have IKO or similar run a specific shingle for you , 10 yr life , and a 10 yr warranty , buy a 8yr old house .... that and the building code for minimum venting is about 50% less than you should have . And a lifetime warranty is often not transferable. You can buy 25yr shingles , I installed them a decade ago , they look fine.
The biggest problem with roofers is you have a ladder and a hammer and your in business, you just order the shingles boomed onto the roof . The price of entry is so low you get a lot of sketchy players. If a guy is available to start tomorrow, you probably have the wrong guy

Sent from my iPhone using GTAMotorcycle.com

If your a large tract builder ie: Mattamy you can have IKO or similar run a specific shingle for you , 10 yr life , and a 10 yr warranty , buy a 8yr old house .... that and the building code for minimum venting is about 50% less than you should have . And a lifetime warranty is often not transferable. You can buy 25yr shingles , I installed them a decade ago , they look fine.
The biggest problem with roofers is you have a ladder and a hammer and your in business, you just order the shingles boomed onto the roof . The price of entry is so low you get a lot of sketchy players. If a guy is available to start tomorrow, you probably have the wrong guy

Sent from my iPhone using GTAMotorcycle.com

If the builder is going that cheap they will likely go cheap on the roof deck and it will sag between rafters. That means that the rain will run down in the gullies between the rafters and prematurely erode the shingles. The shingle manufacturer will say that voids the warranty.

Yeah, "we do our best" is BS. They should say "we make sure that our vetted contractors provide us with WSIB clearance certificates and proof of two million dollar liability policies and update these yearly". So simple. Not saying that lowers my confidence level dramatically.

If an asphalt roof actually got 25 to 35 years I would be happy. Sadly most seem to get less than 15. I plan on being here for more like 30-40 years. I would love to do steel so I don't need to do it again but the avalanche issue probably rules it out for me. If I had a shallower pitch roof, asphalt is the clear winner as you can reasonably safely walk around on it for gutters/inspections/solar installation/cutting in vents etc.

A recently deceased relative did the lifetime steel roof at the cottage a few years before she died. Every other year, the avalanche tears off the fancy glass deck railing and takes out the stairs. They started with the diamonds at the bottom. They ripped off. They tried something like angle iron near the bottom. That ripped off. Now they are considering diamonds all over the roof or for roughly the same amount of money, tearing the steel roof off the problem slope and installing asphalt.

The bird beaks and ice fences have to be anchored to the structural members. Sheet metal screws will pull out. Sheet metal screws have to be caulked and caulking fails creating leaks. Isn't life wonderful.

The shingles on my garden shed are over 25 years old and there are no leaks. The moss may be plugging the holes. It's on next years todo list.

crankcall mentions tract builders ordering absolute minimum shingles. Is there any reason a big box builders supply can't do the same? The 10 year shingles IMO were meant for re-roofing without removing the old layer as a cheap stop gap. They are lighter IIRC, 210 lb per square vs 225 - 235 for the better stuff.

BTW you should be able to go on line to WSIB and get a clearance certificate for the company involved. Don't trust an old copy or the "Trust me" bit.

Back
Top Bottom