Rolling back on hills | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Rolling back on hills

...What is so hard about doing the one and only thing that makes any sense? Use the back brake.

Sure, it makes sense now. Perhaps riding isn't as instinctive to some as it is to others, like yourself. Quite frankly, I'm glad I got stranded going up a hill. Yes, it was frustrating and worrisome. I tried like heck to get my bike uphill. But, that experience gave me the opportunity to ask the same question the OP did and it was in invaluable lesson learned.

Sure, it makes sense now. Perhaps riding isn't as instinctive to some as it is to others, like yourself. Quite frankly, I'm glad I got stranded going up a hill. Yes, it was frustrating and worrisome. I tried like heck to get my bike uphill. But, that experience gave me the opportunity to ask the same question the OP did and it was in invaluable lesson learned.
This. A lot of motorcyclist tend to forget that manual gearing is not common knowledge and even though people learn how to upshift and downshift, there are a lot of other things that get passed over.

The rear brake is probably the advice you needed, I had a few moments of roll back before I realized it's nothing like driving a manual car uphill.

It's actually very similar to driving a manual car...If I'm on a steep hill (like some of those downtown parking garage exits), I'll use the handbrake to hold the car while I get things moving with the clutch & accelerator. Pretty much the exact same thing I do on the bike, except the brake & accelerator switch from hand to foot & foot to hand.

I can't believe there are so many different things people do.

What is so hard about doing the one and only thing that makes any sense? Use the back brake.

I dunno. Crouching down and going is the one and only thing that makes any sense to babies; they have to be trained to use diapers and the potty.

Turning the wheel in the direction you want to travel is what makes sense to bikers; they have to be trained to use counter-steering.

I find when I’m stopped on a hill; I roll back every time I try to accelerate. What are some tricks to avoid rolling back and a smooth acceleration???

Not sure where you are in Mississauga, but if you really want to get practice starting and stopping on either or both the incline and decline just off Speakman drive it's a parking lot to the building that says "body coat technologies" it's on the north side pretty much across the street from the school. If you go in there there is a really big hill that you can get practice going down then up the other side. good place to learn and get as much practice as you want.

I find the responses thus far quite entertaining.

Braking? That's NOT what the rear brake is for. If you can't operate your clutch effectively to be able to start moving under any condition, practice is the only advice I can give.

Someone else said it, find the friction point and learn how to use it.

And FYI, that's not what the e-brake in a car is for either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Braking? That's NOT what the rear brake is for. If you can't operate your clutch effectively to be able to start moving under any condition, practice is the only advice I can give.

What's an e-brake? My car has a handbrake & this is definitely one of its uses. Same with the rear brake on my bike.

I *almost* envy you riders who just jumped on a bike and away you went. Uphill, downhill, never stalling, etc. No problem for you people. Good for you.

Personally, I have found holding the back brake works and that's what I practice. To each his/her own, I suppose.

http://motorcycleviews.com/howtos/startonagrade.htm

You're wrong. The rear brake is there to use to hold the bike while stopped on an incline (and should be used even when stopped on level ground so your brake light is illuminated) until you find the friction point and slowly release it as the clutch engages.

Also, the hand brake (or what you call the e-brake) on a car should be used for the same purpose. Did you ever wonder why cars with standard transmissions have hand operated parking brakes while automatics have foot operated parking brakes? It would be pretty tough to use a clutch pedal and foot operated parking brake with your left foot at the same time now wouldn't it? Curious as to who taught you to drive/ride.

Go to the bottom of a safe hill.
Clutch in, right foot on rear brake, left foot holding bike up.
Give it just a little more gas than you would on a level surface to get going, keeping your foot on the brake.
Ease out the clutch to where you think the friction point is, keeping your foot on the brake.
Start letting your foot off of the brake and notice if you are going backwards, forwards or staying in place.
If you're going backwards then you either aren't at the friction point or you aren't giving it enough gas.
Practice until you can do it smoothly.

The rear brake is there to use to hold the bike while stopped on an incline (and should be used even when stopped on level ground so your brake light is illuminated) until you find the friction point and slowly release it as the clutch engages.

When I took my motorcycle safety course, this is what we were taught by the instructors. We had to practice on a steep enough incline that if you weren't careful, you could pop up the front tire (one guy did it).

Last edited:
It's actually very similar to driving a manual car...If I'm on a steep hill (like some of those downtown parking garage exits), I'll use the handbrake to hold the car while I get things moving with the clutch & accelerator. Pretty much the exact same thing I do on the bike, except the brake & accelerator switch from hand to foot & foot to hand.

If you're proficient with driving a manual car, there's no need to use the handbrake whatsoever on an incline. Feet on the clutch and brake, in gear, as soon as it's time to go, let go of the brake, hit the accelerator and slowly release the clutch - all in one, smooth motion. The only time I use the handbrake is to park.

If you're proficient with driving a manual car, there's no need to use the handbrake whatsoever on an incline. Feet on the clutch and brake, in gear, as soon as it's time to go, let go of the brake, hit the accelerator and slowly release the clutch - all in one, smooth motion. The only time I use the handbrake is to park.

Yeah, I had no idea that people used the hand brake in this manner.

Seriously?

OP. I found myself stuck going up a hill once. I had to wait to be "rescued". When I shared the experience (on another forum), I was given the advice most reasonable people here are giving; use the back brake. And that is what I praticed. Unlike what 'rideit...' indicated, you can't simply "practice". Practice what? I'm sure, like me, if you had known to use your back brake, you would have. A lesson learned. And now you can practice doing that.

Good luck and ride safe!

Good point!!!

There are soo many sugestions! Thanks everyone! We'll see what works!!!

Correct, it's for accelerating.
Heh, I was waiting for someone to say something about that. I just don't get how else you stay still on a hill if you're not using either brake.. he must be magic.

I've seen some people do it. It's mostly for peace of mind because rolling back in a car terrifies a lot of people, especially with how close some drivers get to the back of other cars. I agree though, most manual drivers should be able to do it because having the ability to switch from brake to gas fast and smoothly can save your ***.

Good point!!!

There are soo many sugestions! Thanks everyone! We'll see what works!!!
Just be careful and take it slow. As someone pointed out, it's always possible to pop the bike up if you give up too much throttle, especially if you're used to rolling where the bike has to offset the backwards momentum before accelerating.

Last edited:
Just be careful and take it slow. As someone pointed out, it's always possible to pop the bike up if you give up too much throttle, especially if you're used to rolling where the bike has to offset the backwards momentum before accelerating.

Thanks!

You've obviously never driven in a hilly city. Try to not use the hand brake or rear brake in a place like San Francisco, Quebec City, St John NB, Pittsburgh,or Montreal. You might get away with it in flat Ontario but when you're on a 45 degree incline and there's another car 2 feet off your rear bumper you're going to have to use the proper technique.

True, but on very steep inclines where there may be another car way too close behind (those parking lots again), the handbrake can help save some wear on the clutch & is guaranteed to prevent you from rolling back even an inch. I grew up in the UK where it's a part of the driving test, and although I never drove there, my Dad taught me to always use the handbrake. Like most of his lessons, I don't always do it, but it does come in handy every now and then. :lol:

Not sure if I'm reading this right, but you sit in Neutral at lights? Probably a bad habit to teach new riders.

I've heard this argued both ways over the years, for both manual cars and bikes. Why is sitting stopped in first gear better/safer than neutral?

Guys ... y'all making it sound complicated.

Rear Brake
start giving some gas while releasing the clutch..... before you release the rear brake
you will feel the bike wanting to pull forward, at this point let go of the rear brake.

On a car it is the same thing with the hand brake.... although it isn't usually necessary if you have enough experience. I can usually be fast enough from brake to gas, while releasing the clutch with my feet, to not roll back (car).

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom