Rolling back on hills | GTAMotorcycle.com

Rolling back on hills

Try this the next time you are stopped on a hill:
-Rev the engine up a little (around 2500 RPM)
-Let the clutch slowly out slowly just until the engine starts to slow just a bit
-Release the brake (the bike will now start to move forward)
-Add throttle while fully releasing the clutch

Good Luck!

Try this the next time you are stopped on a hill:
-Rev the engine up a little (around 2500 RPM)
-Let the clutch slowly out slowly just until the engine starts to slow just a bit
-Release the brake (the bike will now start to move forward)
-Add throttle while fully releasing the clutch

Good Luck!

Thanks I'll try that next time :)

Like johnnie_c says use rear brake until you can get going.

Like they said use the rear brake....
At a stoplight I am resting on my right foot since I just used the left for neutral to stop...
put the bike in gear and hold the clutch when the cross traffic light goes yellow or whenever I am getting ready to roll,
while holding the front brake, put my left foot down to free up the right and apply the rear brake...
now my hands are free and gently release the rear brake as you let out the clutch

if that makes any sense...

Like they said use the rear brake....
At a stoplight I am resting on my right foot since I just used the left for neutral to stop...
put the bike in gear and hold the clutch when the cross traffic light goes yellow or whenever I am getting ready to roll,
while holding the front brake, put my left foot down to free up the right and apply the rear brake...
now my hands are free and gently release the rear brake as you let out the clutch

if that makes any sense...

Not sure if I'm reading this right, but you sit in Neutral at lights? Probably a bad habit to teach new riders.

The rear brake is probably the advice you needed, I had a few moments of roll back before I realized it's nothing like driving a manual car uphill.

Practice.

Seriously?

OP. I found myself stuck going up a hill once. I had to wait to be "rescued". When I shared the experience (on another forum), I was given the advice most reasonable people here are giving; use the back brake. And that is what I praticed. Unlike what 'rideit...' indicated, you can't simply "practice". Practice what? I'm sure, like me, if you had known to use your back brake, you would have. A lesson learned. And now you can practice doing that.

Good luck and ride safe!

A suggestion that may raise some eyebrows that can take some careful practice.

With bike in gear, clutch in, front brake on, and either foot down, palm the throttle open a bit to raise the revs, but still have your fingers on the front brake. Then smoothly coordinate the release of the clutch and front brake as you ease on the throttle.

You then have your options open on which foot or feet you are comfortable with on the ground.
Practice can make it work. Hope this helps

With bike in gear, clutch in, front brake on, and either foot down, palm the throttle open a bit to raise the revs, but still have your fingers on the front brake. Then smoothly coordinate the release of the clutch and front brake as you ease on the throttle.

You then have your options open on which foot or feet you are comfortable with on the ground.

Terrible suggestion.

If you're not comfortable with putting your left foot down and operating the rear brake with your right foot, and have to resort to doing right-hand gymnastics to compensate, you should spend more time in the parking lot practicing.

The rear brake is there for a reason. Use it.

Know where your friction point is at on the Clutch ...

This is what I do. Works like a charm.

FWIW, I always prefer to stop/launch on an incline over a decline. Hate that feeling of rolling forward. Rolling back a bit is better.

Oh, Gawd, NO. This is called how to stall your bike at an intersection and get rear-ended. Bad idea.

Go to the bottom of a safe hill.
Clutch in, right foot on rear brake, left foot holding bike up.
Give it just a little more gas than you would on a level surface to get going, keeping your foot on the brake.
Ease out the clutch to where you think the friction point is, keeping your foot on the brake.
Start letting your foot off of the brake and notice if you are going backwards, forwards or staying in place.
If you're going backwards then you either aren't at the friction point or you aren't giving it enough gas.
Practice until you can do it smoothly.

I'm not sure if using the front brake is much harder. Probably best to eventually practice both ways.

They teach how to start on a hill with the back brake at the Humber North campus gearing up course - they have a ramp between two parking lots that is ideal to practice on. I'm not sure if any of the other schools teach it.

Oh, Gawd, NO. This is called how to stall your bike at an intersection and get rear-ended. Bad idea.

Some places the footing necesitates that you put your right foot down if you can. If that's the case than front brake would be the best way to get started. It's always best to practice in a safe location first before trying it in traffic.

Last edited:

I find myself doing this sometimes at stop signs in town when there are lots of kids running around...Both feet down, clutch in and roll the throttle with the palm while keeping two fingers over my brake lever....

When on a hill though just do like these guys said and work your rear brake while pulling away....Its ok to slip the clutch a little on a bike not like in a car...

If you want to practice getting comfortable finding the friction zone, you can either find a flat parking lot - let the bike idle, let the clutch out slowly in 1st, until you start rolling forward. Do this a couple of times.

Then, find a hill - face up the hill. Try to put the bike in the friction zone so that it won't roll back - but don't give it any gas either. You should be able to just sit there without stalling. Make it a small hill - and increase the steepness as you practice.

I can't believe there are so many different things people do.

What is so hard about doing the one and only thing that makes any sense? Use the back brake.

Back
Top Bottom