Road suggestions | GTAMotorcycle.com

Road suggestions

Wadadli

I plan to ride from Nashville to Hartford CT this summer as part of a longer trip. I have never been and I do want to ride the "Tail of the Dragon" and the "Blue Ridge Parkway" but I'm not sure how long to budget for this section of the trip. I have set aside 4 days so I'm wondering if that is too much time if I ride straight through and I should add some circle routes off the Parkway etc..

Any advice or any "must see places" or "must do roads" and places to stay would be greatly appreciated. I realize I could spend much more time in the area but I only have a max of 4 days for this section. Also some may say the Tail of the Dragon is overrated but I still want to include it (bucket list stuff)

A couple of years ago I road to Vegas and it was suggested that I alter my route to include Beartooth and it was an amazing suggestion. - Thanks

Here is the basic route at the momment

http://maps.google.ca/maps?saddr=Na...1,12,13,14,15,16,17,18,19,20,21,22,23&t=m&z=5

Thanks for any advice from those that know the area.

Doug

A few things. The Blue Ridge Parkway north of Roanoke is nicer than south of Roanoke. If time is tight, I'd suggest to do the north section instead of the south. Continue north through Skyline Dr to Front Royal. PA has some nice roads, but they don't really compare to Deals Gap/BRP. This is my PA route from this past summer, http://goo.gl/maps/bRtwn. I'm sure there are more nice roads that I missed

Mount Washington is about 400km north of Hartford, if you have the time, it's worth the trip up the mountain, you get a bumper sticker out of it too.

Your route through and south of the Gap is OK, but after you get on 19/74 (which is a plain ordinary motorway) take 441 north into and through Cherokee (you could bypass a chunk of motorway on 19 through Bryson City, but that stretch isn't worth it). This brings you to the southern end of the Blue Ridge Parkway, instead of joining it as you've shown at Asheville. And it keeps going for loooong after you show exiting it near I-81.

The full length of the Blue Ridge Parkway is something like 460 miles. It's do-able in about 10 hours of riding time plus photo stops, gas stops, and meals - which will all add something, because there are no services on the Parkway itself.

Thanks Guys, I do plan on staying on BRP and then Skyline Dr all they way to Front Royal but for some reason Google maps stopped allowing me to drag the route off the interstate.

I think for Google maps you have select that you want to avoid highways and then it will keep you on the secondary roads.
Sent you a PM with some info too, because some glitch in the forum won't let me post it in the thread.

edit: it's below - forum acting funny...

Last edited:
Testing multiple links in reply posts

BRP is about 755km long and starts near Cherokee, NC in the south. The southern half of the BRP is much more technical than the northern section and since it is a much more twisty, technical road, it will take about 2 days to run the BRP. The speed limit on the bulk of it is 45mph - when I was on it, I did not see one LEO and had some fun on it. Of course this depends on your riding style. Starting from the bottom, I slept in Cherokee NC, just at the foot of the BRP and rode up to Willville Bike Camp near Meadows of Dan. I'm not sure where you are sleeping each night, but Willville bike camp (has a chalet or two as well) is a great place run by a really nice guy. If you are camping there is a cheap campground right off the BRP around the 1/2 way mark. Map of Blue Ridge Parkway.

At the very top of the Blue Ridge Pkwy is the Skyline Drive which is also a nice road about 100km long. It's costs about $10 to ride it and I was glad I did. The speed limit was only 35mph, but with no traffic, I was able to have some fun on it. It will lead you north through Shenandoah National Park from Waynesboro to Font Royal, Virginia. Note: It is much more interesting than taking the freeway - since this is what you are planning on doing from here for the rest of your trip.
Map of Skyline Drive

As for the Deals Gap area - many will tell you that the roads around Deals Gap are just as good, if not better because of the low traffic on them. Cherohala Skyway is one of my all-time favourite roads and really, if you just look on a map at the area, you just can't go wrong with the entertainment value of those roads, no matter which ones you ride on. Some maps of the Deals Gap area.

I revised the first portion of your route to include the Cherohala Skyway. This would mean that you get to run most of the US129 twice (out and back) and you also get to run the US28 around Fontana Dam. This route would have you going from Nashville to Asheville in one (fun/long) day. http://goo.gl/maps/3LoRR

Like I said, no matter what roads you ride on down there (except freeways), you will have fun because they are all amazing compared to what we have up here. A few years ago I did a run from Toronto down the US219 through Deals Gap to Alabama, over to Mississippi and then back through Deals gap and along the whole length of the BRP and Skyline. The ride report is here and there might be a thing or two of value to you in there. Two small things of advice asides from the norm... have a hydration knapsack that allows you to drink while on the road without having to take your helmet off (especially since you are going in the summer) and a small headlamp can be really valuable when you need to see at night while keeping your hands free.

You'll have a blast.

+1 for Cherohala, Deals Gap is an 11 mile strech, very technical, but lacks in scenery, almost the entire run is through a forest, and therefore Cherohala is a nice change. If you can, plan to stay two nights in the area and dedicate a full day for the Gap and surroundings (Cherohala if it will be fixed by then, Foothills Parkway, Cades Cove near Townsend). Cades Cove is an interesting place if you like history - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cades_Cove.

Also, would be worthwhile taking a small detour from the BRP up to Mount Mitchell, the highest peak east of Mississippi.

Cherohala and 28 were the highlights of our trip - Deals Gap is of course a must do, even if just to say you did it! We hit the Blue Ridge at Cherokee and I really enjoyed the southern (North Carolina) part much more than the northern part - it is more technical and I thought better scenery - the scenery in Virginia and through Skyline Drive is beautiful, but kind of the same. By that time we just whizzed by most of the lookout points.

Hopefully Cherahola will be open by the summer - I'm going in June and I'm sure others will be posting before then on conditions. 28 is not just a beautiful road, but one of the favourites for the local sport bike riders - saw more knee draggers there than on the Dragon - not me, if I'm dragging a knee, its because I misjudged a corner - I can do it, but I don't like it -bawkkkk bawkkk :)

Two days easy riding will do the Blue Ridge end to end no problem. I had also read that it was heavily patrolled - we didn't see any patrol cars the entire length. But we did see lots of deer and wild turkeys, which acted just as well in keeping us in check - you don't want to cheat too much over the limit when there's wildlife around every freaking curve.

Skyline - I've ridden this thing 3 times now because I have friends who love it and rave about it, but have yet to finish it - its relaxing and pretty, but slow and crowded and tends to attract riders in large groups, which slows it down even more - its just not for me.

There's lots of motorcycle specific lodging in the area and if you haven't tried a motorcycle camp yet, I really recommend it. Most of them do have options if you don't want to tent camp.

Cherohala and 28 were the highlights of our trip ................ if you haven't tried a motorcycle camp yet, I really recommend it. Most of them do have options if you don't want to tent camp.

Thanks everyone for the advice I hope Cherohala is open by mid June.. I'm not exactly sure what motorcycle camp is though. I will have camping gear with me but I think this might be something specifically tailored to bikers. Do you have a name of one of these places?

Thanks everyone for the advice I hope Cherohala is open by mid June.. I'm not exactly sure what motorcycle camp is though. I will have camping gear with me but I think this might be something specifically tailored to bikers. Do you have a name of one of these places?

We stayed at a place called "Kickstand Lodge" - it has a website - there is also the Iron Horse Lodge and a couple of others near by - one large one right at Deals Gap, but I don't remember the name off hand.

Where we stayed we paid $15.00 for our camp site - two bikes and two tents. There was a kitchen where supplies were provided for coffee and make your own breakfast - payment was on the honour system - put what you think is fair in the tin. The owners made a buffet style dinner - again honour system of put money in the tin - what you think is fair based on what you eat. They were not allowed to sell beer - so it was free, but if you wanted to throw in a few bucks into the kitty to contribute to the costs of the ice, that was appreciated - again honour system - same tin.

The owners are bikers too and have a communal campfire in the evening, which is pretty standard for all of them. Aside from pitch your own tent spots, they rented tents, spots in the bunkhouse and I think individual cabins.

We enjoyed it, met interesting people from all over North America - gots some tips for future travels. Definitely going back this trip.

I really enjoy camping and meeting people is one of the things I enjoy most about my trips - while camping in Arizona I met a guy from Switzerland - camping in Colorado I met a guy from Wisconsin - but what was interesting was we both took the exact same route from Hannibal, Missouri to Burlington, Co. Staying in motels - I tend to grab something to eat and hibernate - boring.

Last edited:
I did a 7 day solo trip to Deals Gap via the Blue Ridge parkway a year or so ago. 1st day was getting from my old place in brampton to Front Royal, Virginia.

From Front Royal I started early in the AM Southbound through Skyline Drive and eventually onto the Blue Ridge Parkway. Staying on the BRP...I stopped a total of 5 times that day. 2 for gas, 1 for food, 1 Starbucks stop in Roanoke, 1 side of the road pee.

I was only able to make it to Fancy Gap, VA at about Dusk. Google Maps shows that to be about 309miles but it's funny how long it takes on the twists and elevation changes....and I wasn't taking my time by any means.

There is a map on the BRP website of the mile markers and where the gas stations are. This is important to get as there are no signs on the BRP telling you where gas is.

Bring Cold weather and rain gear as the weather changes rapidly. In one day it went from blistering hot to around 10 C. (in Late September)

I preffered the North Carolina side of the Blue Ridge. Awesome amount of tunnels, plus the highest point is there too.

When i got to Deals gap I stayed at the Two Wheel Inn. It was great! Had a small garage to keep your bike in beside your room.

Last edited:
Willville Bike Camp is located just off the BRP near a place called Meadows of Dan.

I had read some good things about Blue Ridge Motorcycle Campground, but I did not stay there myself.

I was also thinking about staying at Fontana Village, which is in the heart of good roads, but ended up staying in Cherokee NC, at an RV park called River Valley Campground with riverside campsites - expensive at $29/night, but slept beside a beautiful river, had electrical hook-ups on site, laundry and hot showers.

If no one mentioned it, the Blue Ridge Parkway visitor center and headquarters are located near Asheville and worth a stop - lot's of nice little souvenirs there - I picked up a sweet ball cap and some magnets and stickers.

Hey there my old ZRX buddy, I go to a ZRX rally in Suches Georgia yearly, there are many great roads to ride in the area.

Wolf Pen gap Rd
Blood Mountain
Richard B Russell Scenic Highway
Hwy 60
There are many roads that are great riding,with little traffic and little police.

The Deals Gap is Ok, but lots of traffic and lots of police, google the roads I mentioned and see if you can fit them ion to your ride, you wont be
disappointed.

Cheers
Ron

Thanks everyone for all the great suggestions. Part of the fun of any trip is the pre-planning even though things tend to change once you get on the trip.

Ronnie unfortunately the roads you mentioned are a bit too far south for this trip. I'm actually headed to the Maritimes to visit friends and family and Deals gap is a bit of a detour. I will definitely be back to this area on a separate trip and search out the roads you mentioned. Hey do they allow yellow bikes at the ZRX meets? I don't ever recall seeing any. I certainly miss all the friendly fun loving people with that group.

I sort of want to get a dragon sticker for my bike as silly as that sounds and hopefully just a picture in front of the tree of shame without having to leave anything on it..

Back
Top Bottom