RIP: Neil Peart, Drummer from Rush | GTAMotorcycle.com

RIP: Neil Peart, Drummer from Rush

UHwa9KGatdeZ9ik9NogMMS.jpg

oh wow.
RIP,
I have a drummer friend who is a HUGE FAN

Was bummed when I heard that Rush called it quits a few years back, never got a chance to see them.
Now I know there will never be a reunion.
True legend.
RIP

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Very sad day. He'll be sorely missed.

We will all mourn his passing. But we should also be celebrating him. He left such a large legacy of amazing music and writing. Play a Rush song or seven today. And pick up one of his many books on motorcycling or bicycling.

Was bummed when I heard that Rush called it quits a few years back, never got a chance to see them.

One of my first concerts I ever went to was the Grace Under Pressure tour at Maple Leaf Gardens. What an awesome experience! Seen them many times since.

Pretty sure Gene lightcycle was a huge fan of his as well.

You're not wrong.

:(

I remember you playing the drums to a rush song. Post that vid Gene.

May Neil rest in peace. I was lucky to see Rush a handful of times. I would have loved to have a cup of coffee with him and discuss the lyrics to many of the songs he wrote. As a drummer? Wow...

His words and Rush's music are a big part of the soundtrack of my life. I was 10 when I "discovered" Rush with the Moving Pictures album. Exit Stage Left introduced me to their older stuff. Discovered 2112, Hemispheres etc.

Will be missed.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Very sad. 67 is much, much too young.

I met him once about 15 years ago. I was getting gas at a station at Brock and Taunton in Whitby and another guy with a R1200GS pulled in. I didn’t even recognize him at first, but we struck up a conversation about my bags of all things. Really nice guy.

Ghost Rider, Roadshow and Far and Away are good reads. Haven’t read Far and Near and Far and Wide but I’ll pick them up

There was always something so quintessentially Canadian about Rush. No matter where you travel when someone finds out you are from Canada the conversation invariably turns to one of 3 things… Tim Hortons, ‘ockey or Rush ?

There was an Internet rumour going around that Rush would be touring in 2020. I was holding out a very faint hope that it could be true, but I guess that will never happen again. Neil was irreplaceable. The last show I saw was in Vancouver on the R40 tour. It was amazing. Neil always gave 100% which is not easy for a drummer when you are in your 60's. I was just bummed that they didn’t end the whole thing in Toronto

Although, if they wanted to do a tribute, I’ve always though that Dave Grohl could be one of the only guys that could step in. He’s a huge Rush fan as well, and Neil had a massive influence on him.

RIP Neil

Only chance I got to see Rush was years ago at the SARS benefit concert in Downsview Park. They played just before AC/DC and the Stones. They were amazing. Wish I knew how good they were live. Would of made an effort to see them more often.

that Dave Grohl could be one of the only guys that could step in. He’s a huge Rush fan as well, and Neil had a massive influence on him.

Man, Neil Peart had a massive influence on every drummer I know. But technically and proficiency-wise, I'd think Mike Portnoy could fill his shoes.

Plus they were lifelong friends.

In high school I remember delivering pizza to farm in Stouffville, much to my amazement the pizzas were for Rush, they were rehearsing in a barn. As a highschool age fan, I was further amazed when Pye Dubois said I was welcome to watch for a while.

Truly a Canadian Icon.

I think I'll spend the afternoon listening to Rush favorites and air drum until my arms fall off.

RIP

RIP.
Before rush had an album, they played local bars. I saw them in hamilton several times. They played at Duffys. During breaks some folks and 'certain' band members gathered in a cubby hole under the staircase......it was for science.
June 17, 1974Duffy's Tavern -- Hamilton, Ontario
June 18, 1974Duffy's Tavern -- Hamilton, Ontario
June 19, 1974Duffy's Tavern -- Hamilton, Ontario
June 20, 1974Duffy's Tavern -- Hamilton, Ontario
June 21, 1974Duffy's Tavern -- Hamilton, Ontario
June 22, 1974Duffy's Tavern -- Hamilton, Ontario

A concert at the old hamilton forum with Mahogany Rush, and Bullrush. I had to leave part way through it. I had a bad lsd trip....the music was too loud for what was happening in my head.

July 18, 1974Hamilton Forum -- Hamilton, Ontario (Mahogany Rush, Bull Rush)

Link to every gig they ever played:

I was a huge Peart fan. I bought All The World's a Stage when it came out and was hooked. I had a set of drums that I destroyed trying to keep up. Neil Peart was a percussion legend, lyrical legend, and not a bad writer. He was an intellectual who moved the trap drum set to new heights. His death has knocked everyone off-balance. He was a very private person, so it's understandable that nobody except those close knew. I was expecting Neil to live a long life and I'm so sad to see him gone. Like part of my youth has vanished, and I want it back. We've lost so many great musicians in the last five years. I'm heading down to my jam room this weekend to play some Rush, just for the memories:
20200111_175110.jpg

I didn't know much of this about Peart.
Will try to pick up some of his books.

I remember being at a buddy's house when I was young. Maybe grade 5? He was a year older. Long hair. Rush patch on the back of his Jean jacket, and just a cool dude.
He put a Rush album on, and my young, inexperienced ears did not appreciate them at the time.
It took way too many years for me listen to more of them.

Question:
I've always pronounced it "Pert", but various news outlets have also said "Peert" & "Part".
Which one is correct?

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Question:
I've always pronounced it "Pert", but various news outlets have also said "Peert" & "Part".
Which one is correct?

The A is silent.

Back
Top Bottom