Riding Down Under - Tropical Cairns Australia | Page 27 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Riding Down Under - Tropical Cairns Australia

Lovely day to ride up to Daintree Village ...lots of motorcycles, bicyclists, beach goers and a ton of traffic ,,,will pay for the easy 100 km ride up with a good size tail wind. Traffic and headwind on th way home. Just take it easy and listen to my audio book. 28c - mixed cloud and sun and not humid

Heading home after tea and scones and about 20 km out ...bang goes the clutch cable... ? I was in third heading into a roundabout ...reasonably busy traffic both directions and fortunately near my buddy's place so slid through the next two roundabouts and was dreading the light at his road but fortune smiled and I slipped right across traffic on a yellow.

He was home so we took off the busted cable and a replacement is on it's way ..
Hard to pin the correct part down..opted for third party and get it by Thursday and will chase an OEM as a spare.
Yamaha XMAX 300

Noodling about post KLR ride and ran across this

ABS and traction control. 1.99% Financing is attractive

Don't think an EV will be ready and this hits needs. 12,000 mile belt replacement is annoying but I'm not doing any distance here.

Might opt for a CB500x tho - there is one low mileage in town about the same price but not the warranty.

There is the Honda Forsa as well - but it's $10k
Forza 350

Need a $150 a month machine.....right now - need a KLR clutch cable. .....and some sleep. 5 amurl.jpg

Last edited:
80 yr old and me at a creaky 73 managed to get that 600 lb Burgman on his trailer. ?
$1000 in pocket should get out square with a bit of change plus a spare windscreen to sell and a few other goodies ?

Burgman off to a new home - nothing more pathetic than an 80 yr old and 73 yr old trying to get a 600 pound Burgman into a trailer.

He knew his stuff tho - very long time rider….came all the way from Innisfail.

So I’ve been going over with Jude what my replacement for the KLR might be and showing her various bikes and this popped up
2015 CB300F - guying is leaving area Wednesday and had it into Cairns Honda - my regular dealer for RW.

$2800 !!!!
2015 Honda CB300F (registered) | Motorcycles | Gumtree Australia Cairns City - Holloways Beach | 1274096298

158 kg and low seat which I might change

Screen Shot 2021-05-17 at May, 17    2021    12.53.32 PM.jpg
Picking up tomorrow

Last edited:
In the drive. So much better than Ontario for transfer.
Seller goes on line and says wants to transfer - fills in my info.
Buyer goes on line and accepts
Done.
Looks like I will get a bill in my email for $84 for the transfer + $29
The rego includes liability insurance until Dec 2021 - then $142 a year with my seniors discount and third party liability.
It's single seat registered with the back pegs removed so half normal yearly.

perfect fit for the parking spot,
cbparked.jpg
Lots easier on and off than the KLR and nice to have real brakes. Needs some farkles - not sure it needs a windscreen - the tank bag fits and blocks the wind.

Screen Shot 2021-05-18 at May, 18    2021    1.55.48 PM.jpg

Got Nelson-Rigg tail bag - like their life time warranty - will just leave the tail bag attached with zip ties. Save taking the tank bag all the time. Screen. tail bag and grip puppies all in one Amazon.com.au order. The screen looked good on the youtube install and a 10 minute job to do. Nice to see the bike cruising the highway at 120 kph.

Last edited:
Can't win - no rain forecast - rained all night - nice and clear this am ... then
just as geared up ....down it comes. :(
Ah....scooted up the range road dry and no power issue with the climb.
Banged along at 110 indicated at 6500- not too much buzz - will be gone with the foam grips.
Knee position okay and my hip was fine with the Airhawk which fits the CB300 seat perfectly.

Tank bag is big but sticks okay at speed. Will be better with the risers tho was surprising okay riding position. So far so good.

Last edited:
Put in 150 km to Mossman for lunch and pushed it a bit harder...lovely agile little bike. I see why Brian enjoys his 250. WIlling to rev so had to watch in the lower speed zones. Does need the risers ...snagged the throttle lock and one Grip Buddy from the KLR plus the cup holder.
Anyone know how to get melted plastic off the exhaust?? I think the previous owner bought a bicycle cover.

All my farkles arriving today tho I may return the tail bag and opt for that Shad solution.
Sort of wish I'd opted for the two point Bark Busters. I can still change by adding the two point bar - same white guard works on both.

No but they should...guy did a super job on his 300.

Got the risers on after an hour fiddling with cables runs. Easier on my back. Windscreen useful....not sure on the tail bag yet.
Tried to return the tailbag and was approved but then Amazon here had no drop off place so they refunded the whole thing (y) . I'll find a use for it.

GripPuppies went on fine and 1" up and back bars nicer position. Windscreen improves the looks and gives me a spot for the gloves out of the rain plus keeps the wind off the cup holder so the bottle does not blow away when nears empty.
Pics in the morning. Put the RAM mount, cupholder, throttle lock and crampbusters on. Back to my busy dash. Really light return spring on the throttle means no throttlelock slipping.
Two riding days coming up. 😍 Go chase some cassawaries at Etty Bay. That's about a 200 km loop.

Screen Shot 2021-05-28 at May, 28    2021    6.42.45 PM.jpg

chase some cassawaries

Never seen or heard of a velociraptor "run" when it has babies or a nest nearby.. 😆 They are amazing to see in real life in the wild tho, gets the adrenaline pumping as you try and figure out if it's nesting season and how high up a tree you can climb before they can run to you.

Hehe - they are pretty acclimatized to human here but one idiot tourist got way too close and th birde was agitated. Never have heard them before either....pair of males on a chase and some sort of huffing.

Screen Shot 2021-05-29 at May, 29    2021    12.35.14 PM.jpg

Casowary safety is to back away slowly and keep your pack in front of you as a shield.

This guy paid the price Man killed by rare bird did not have owner's permit

1622256263427.png

Speaking of stupid ...couple of us were watching from a safe distance and this stoopid tourist couple pulls past us and parks right where the bird was hops out and starts walking towards the cassowary who taking no guff starts moving very purposefully towards her. I can vaguely hear the about to be skewered her making noises and can just see the cassowary looking very agitated and stretched as tall as he could and sort of poking at something with his beak but could not see her. They will not back down and if you approach they will move toward you assertively.
Idjit 1 finally comes around the side of the van and gets in the passenger side by going all the way around and idiot #2 decides to get out. I put a stop to it right loudly ......GET AWAY FROM THAT BIRD.! 🥴 ...which I guess combined with the helmet etc he got the message and got back in.
1622266941313.png

he was a beaut - this was before she got there and he was walking slowly toward the bike along the shoulder and not looking flustered at all.

Screen Shot 2021-05-29 at May, 29    2021    3.50.23 PM.jpg

tho they always look fierce
Screen Shot 2021-05-29 at May, 29    2021    3.49.43 PM.jpg

I'm thinking this is a yearling male - perhaps the one shown in juvenile plumage above.
Later on I heard this huf huf ...I'd never heard the sound before and a resident said one male was chasing another.

Good ride
There is a CB300 under there

Screen Shot 2021-05-29 at May, 29    2021    3.58.44 PM.jpg

So still tweaking the CB300F. Have to watch the fuel gauge a little closer ..smaller tank by far than the KLR but 35% better fuel mileage. 12.9 litres vers 23L capacity on the KLR. Seems 300 km between fillups is a $12-13 or so versus $25 on the KLR. I do like the old style petcock on the KLR - have not yet figured how much is left when the CB starts to flash. One guy claimed 60 miles but I'd be white knuckle trying to do that tho the CB500x is in that range when the flashing starts....it's a very weird reserve system on the X as it starts counting up. 🥴

I got to the top of the Rogers Pass on the CBx and the gauge started blinking and I had 60-70km to the next fuel ...it made with a liter left which shocked me. Same trip ran it even further trying to find a station in Manitoba and luckily another biker came along and pointed out one that was hidden just off the highway. That was the nearest I came to being stranded.

Still chasing a top box solution that does not look stooopid. Considered the same P3 Shad set up I had on the X but they don't make for the 300F.

Small bikes rule. For all my years riding big, getting on a small bike you realize what you're missing on agility, particularly since the new little engines make so much power. On my KTM I had an old tank bag I strapped to the rear seat, works well and looks better than most tail bags.

I did the same for the trip out west on the CB500x tho no where near as convenient as a top box it served the purpose. 20L expandible to 30.
My current tank bag expands to 27L but a very tight fit for the laptop.

I can put camera gear, swim gear, power cell ( I now have one that will charge the laptop as well as phone ) ...even tucked the Puig windscreen in safely tho poking out. 27L is lots even for a small grocery run and it zippers down to 20L for most purposes. Clear map window lets me tuck small items, gate opener etc in there without rummaging and it has a waterproof cover that draws tight and does not balloon.
Part of getting the windscreen was to prevent any tendency to lift tho the CB300 tank is mostly magnetic

Getting the laptop in tho 🥴...and often that's all I want. So this is coming.
1622397841053.png

Side opening lets me slip the laptop out without undoing the bungees, decent room for other bits as well in the side pocket. I bought the 16" as same price as the 13" and some extra room. Enough I can go local rides with just this and no tank bag.

1622397919081.png

Water resistant ( tho I will stll likely put the laptop in a plastic sleeve if weather threatens ) and highly rated by the New York Times laptop bag shootout.

Screen Shot 2021-05-31 at May, 31    2021    4.09.13 AM.jpg
Looks like good cushioning......AND I can get my creaky leg over it. :giggle:

I think with the two items I can still do overnights within 3-400 km each way. Cooktown will be first.

I like the ride - especially northbound as there is always a south wind off the Pacfic - was pretty lively yesterday. Lost a paddler to it - 4-6m waves. 20 to 30 knots of wind. 40-50kph.
Surf ski paddler missing off North Stradbroke Island named, as mate recounts ordeal

Was a good test for the CB300 easily did 110+ into it on the way to Etty Bay and a quiet easy run home.
One reason I prefer riding north as sun and wind behind me in the morning and at least sun behind me on the return.

As weather dries will explore some of the secondary roads on the Tableland ( there are a few along the coast as well ).

Last edited:
Nother glorious day and not a hint of rain and moderate wind. WInter riding at it's best.Screen Shot 2021-06-02 at Jun, 2    2021    4.02.45 PM.jpg

Think I have dialed in the handlebars and control positions.
Screen Shot 2021-06-02 at Jun, 2    2021    4.39.23 PM.jpg
Used the buddy seat set up for the laptop and that worked really well....just need a back up set of bungees ....just in case. Saves me trying to wrestle it to fit the tank bag and it never moved an inch. Slides right out of the case without removing. So that's a wrap tho I think
Screen Shot 2021-06-02 at Jun, 2    2021    4.35.52 PM.jpg
Going to return the other laptop bag ...not as rigid and the extra side pockets only marginal.
Screen Shot 2021-06-02 at Jun, 2    2021    4.39.07 PM.jpg

I still need a top case for groceries and over nights...jury out.
The mount is pricey at $180 Aus but can be moved in to be over the buddy seat. Looks okay and clean without the top case on. $214 shipped with tax for the case. I COULD splurge and get a white top but hey....... 🥴
1622614173695.png1622614299003.png
The lightest case of its category with optimized internal volume to make the most of the space.

Ease Of Use
It has the Press Lock System, a simple and hermetic pressure lock system.
As all the SHAD motorcycle top cases, it can be open and closed with only one hand, without the need to use the key to open it.
One of the nicest rides I've had on the new bike .....still not used to the smaller front wheel tracking road imperfections but it's so agile it's a hoot in what passes for traffic here. Brakes are just lovely. Easy lane filtering and now getting used to winding it out in each gear. Never once an issue with my sciatica ....upper back and neck a bit problematic but riding every day should get me used to it. Throttle lock and cramp busters help as well as Grip Buddies tho I'm not as comfortable riding the CB one handed yet.
Cup holder the best set up on any bike I've had. Decided to only have one RAM mount for now and keep the phone mount in the tank bag for the few times I need it.

Missed my first Covid shot ....the place was hours behind on appointment time and filled to overflowing....got another tomorrow a bit further out of town.

Last edited:
That muffler is out to get me. Took a night ride for twenty min on the main highway I draped my jacket over the seat and over COURSE it melted a chunk of my main jacket zipper. :eek: I can still ride with it half open but need it fixed or maybe a new one as that jacket is way old but certainly does the job. Used to a heat shield on the klr.
Apparently the existing can holds the catalytic converter ...hence the heat. Have to chase a shield

Not the greatest headlight but not doing that much night riding and none outside town.
Price of getting my first vaccine.🥴

Found a repair shop will do a metal zipper same day for $100. 👍 ..got to figure how to get gear shipped to Australia without costing a fortune. Bring the CBF1000 maybe too tho prefer to sell it.
Wandered around an AMX Superstore that is new in Cairns...sort of liked the one jacket and definitely liked the convertible helmet that fit but no money this month. Need to wait til quarantine payments finish in August. Make do with existing gear.
I did order shorter tactical pants as my regulars are set for my tall boots and the short boots I end up stepping on the cuffs. The old ones getting a bit tired too - will be good to have a second pair. Lots of good features.

1622772984994.png

I usually buy 5.11 Tac pants but lot more money here.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom