Riding Down Under - Tropical Cairns Australia | Page 25 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Riding Down Under - Tropical Cairns Australia

Bit too hot to ride 31 feels like 37 and waiting on the parts to float in ....rotors, front tire etc. Going on a week long road trip to Brisbane by cage a week from now to look at a cello for partner and perhaps a small telescope ....both retirement hobbies for her. Do a bit of sightseeing...1600 km ...and have to watch for roos in morning and evening along one "empty of civilization" stretch.
Will do some birdwatching in Eungella National Park
Eungella is a beautiful place. Swung up to spend a few days there and see platypuses. Finch hatton gorge has a cool hike that ends with you in a tropical grotto with no other people and a waterfall. Stunning.

Thanks - any other tips on the Cairns to Brisbane route?
We were time limited so it was mostly flying. We flew brisbane to mackay then rented a Holden Barina to drive to Eungella. Worst car I have ever driven. Slushbox and it couldn't hold second going up the escarpment to Eungella. If you feel like hang gliding, there is a platform at the top of the escarpment where you can step off and soar through the valley (not sure if you can rent/tandem). Pay attention to the signs in the valley showing the water depth over the road. We got lucky as we went in rainy season but it was a drought. You can be stuck in Eungella for a day or two after it rains unless your vehicle can ford water many feet deep. I don't know what the rest of Oz is like, but in the area many of the roads have one lane paved up the centre and a gravel lane on each side. Pretty dodgy at high speed in tight corners to swing onto the gravel before you hit head-on on the asphalt. Make sure you keep gas reasonably full, it can be a long way between stations if you are exploring.

We stayed at Broken River Mountain Resort. Nothing special but friendly people. You won't see a platypus during the day, you need to go at night and spotlight them. If you keep driving along the dam road all of a sudden you burst out of the rainforest into a barren wasteland. I found that slightly interesting as it was stereotypical oz terrain and we didn't have time to make it to the interior.

Mackay had an OK hike along the water but you couldn't go near the beach due to dangerous man-eating crocodiles (according to the signs in english, german and chinese). That put a damper on too much exploring.

Fraser island just off brisbane is slightly interesting. It's a huge pile of sand that you can go offroading on, camping, sand bogganing etc. Also snorkelling along a row of sunken boats. The boats are rusty and the current surges a little so be careful.

Thanks been here 4-6 months a year for 10 years so familiar with quirks - especially rainy season. 3 months wet n hot . ...9 months heavenly. Good info on the road.
Oz is just about the size of continental US and takes about the same time to visit all the interesting areas.

damn what a glorious day ...maybe close to the end of the wet. 30 and dry ...fluffy white clouds.

IMG_1638.jpeg

IMG_1637.jpeg
so nice to see people out enjoying themselves without masks or distancing.
1615598191278.png
You do have to sign in for tracing. Was very busy. They have a gyrocopter that gives rides....tempted but likely over the weight limit. Yesterday would have been a perfect day.

Gyrocopter lesson, Jaques Coffee, Mareeba | Vehicles, Moped, Motorcycle
excellent cheap lunch at Jacques, Barramundi,
salad, latte in a mug and scones with Mungali Dairy cream, $20 all in snd decent wifi. Sometimes being over 70 pays off :D

Last edited:
All the Burgman parts will be in by early next week so that should get sorted by Wednesday ...I did feel the lack of a windscreen today on a longer/faster ride but nothing dramatic. I can tell from the braking coming down the steep twisty range road the fronts need pads and rotors.

Last edited:
Longish day ...300 km Cairns to Coastal Waters Of Great Barrier Reefs
Made a navigation error and ended up in Herberton for lunch but no biggie.
Damn Gillies is tiring after a long day. 263 bends in 19 km - Burgman is heavy and brakes are nearing their end. Will be more fun with new boots and brakes next month. Also riding it uphill much preferred than down.
Screen Shot 2021-03-14 at Mar, 14    2021    4.23.13 PM.jpg

Was so hungry actually ate the beetroot on the chicken sandwich. :eek: ?
Lovely big choco shake hit the spot. $14 all in decent value considering size of the shake. Some twist pics.
3km from the end heading downhill took a break..
Screen Shot 2021-03-14 at Mar, 14    2021    7.05.00 PM.jpg

Screen Shot 2021-03-14 at Mar, 14    2021    7.04.45 PM.jpg
There is even a sign indicating Winding Road Ends 3 km for the car sick prone. I've seen a few pulled over here with their heads over the guardrail :sick:

Heading up the much shorter Rex with perhaps even more severe curves earlier in the day, a group of riders hot footed it past me and then I came across four people looking down into the bush - was waved on by one of the girls standing there. Three bikes on the shoulder. Suspect one of the more aggressive riders lost it just before the guard rail.

Loads of bikes and cars out ...the parasailing was on at the Rex Lookout...startled me a bit as this big yellow wing loomed up to my right. Should have stopped for pics but lots were and not a good spot for a u-turn.

rex%20looklout.jpg

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-03-14 at Mar, 14    2021    7.04.45 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2021-03-14 at Mar, 14 2021 7.04.45 PM.jpg
    622.1 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
Longish drive to MacKay - was okay until the rain torrents arrived and negotiating hydroplaning became a sport. ?
Slowed progress a fair bit and was glad to pull into the motel.
Sitting on the balcony at 23c enjoying morning sun and lots of bird calls. Some bird activity at the tree but mostly can identify them. Left the camera in the car.
balcony.jpg

balcony2.jpg1616104540476.png
Lorikeets flying over ( not my shot ) ...lots around. Too hot on the balcony in the sun now.... very humid. Some vicarious greenery for you.

Off to Eungella National Park shortly.

Last edited:
Rain held off and nice ride if VERY twisty and steep to the park.

Arrived in the middle of an installation ceremoney for this lovely bit of art. He's about 1.2m long
Screen Shot 2021-03-19 at Mar, 19    2021    5.35.51 PM.jpg

This mixed media art piece was near by and I quite liked it ...actual moss etc
Screen Shot 2021-03-19 at Mar, 19    2021    5.36.14 PM.jpg
We arrived midday and did not expect to see a platypus in the wild...was shooting some scenery in the pool where the crazy looking animals hangout ( there were some babies around in the morning).
Screen Shot 2021-03-19 at Mar, 19    2021    5.41.17 PM.jpg
They burrow under the banks and enter the den underwater.
Lots of rocks to turn up crustaceans etc.
Screen Shot 2021-03-19 at Mar, 19    2021    5.44.48 PM.jpg
Was 1pm and getting some neat critters lovely skink
Screen Shot 2021-03-19 at Mar, 19    2021    5.47.20 PM.jpg
and many turtles
Screen Shot 2021-03-19 at Mar, 19    2021    5.49.14 PM.jpg
We were sheltering from a light rain under a bridge in a platy viewing area...long lens on, set on manual focus...worst case for a platy to pop up right below us. We got a lovely look but the camera did not. Wasn't ready, wasn't expecting it and the camera was being a pain all day. :( Still a real treat.
Screen Shot 2021-03-19 at Mar, 19    2021    5.55.44 PM.jpg
Nice diver was perched nearby drying it's wings.
1616140465124.png
Tricky dowhill return to Mackay and hauled out my big lens ( Leica 100/400 - 800mm equiv ) and there was a treat waiting in the trees outside the window.
A number of rainbow bee eaters.Screen Shot 2021-03-19 at Mar, 19    2021    4.20.34 PM.jpg

Screen Shot 2021-03-19 at Mar, 19    2021    4.20.17 PM.jpg
A few Lorikeets playing jet flighters and other species. Should get some morning activity tho as we intend to leave just after sparrows as have 9 hour drive tomorrow.

Last edited:
Last edited:
Had a too long day driving
on the opposite side of the road
in the rain
and finally in the dark…I was beat
and it’s 3amCoffeeOwl.jpeg
Hotel is really neat ...prefab rooms and a feel like a cruise ship. Well designed space - no keys ...there is a keypad for entry. That blank wall is translucent and has the washroom/shower. Magic mirror with variable lighting.
Place has superb flexible lighting - even indirect - fridge, microwave, toaster, kettle, full set of dishes and cutlery. Gonna make a few other chains sit up and take notice.
IMG_1652.jpg

IMG_1653.jpg
On to Brisbane later this morning and a short day.

Distance driving in Aus is tedious...low and enforced speed limits tho it did get to 110 legal in a few stretches the constant construction zones and short stops for oncoming one way traffic is a killer for distance.

And getting rowdy in a pub is not on... bit of big brother lurking..
IMG_1651.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_1651.jpg
    IMG_1651.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 6
Rain, rain and more rain but at least not Sydney level ...once in 100 years ...flooding.

Accomplished our goals.
Pick up bits at iKea which is the closest one to Cairns.
Partner got her retirement hobby sorted, buying the cello and a learner book.
Best Cello Brands & Models 2021 Review - Cello CentralScreen Shot 2021-03-23 at Mar, 23    2021    7.59.18 AM.jpg
and both our interests

Wanted the next one up but there is a world wide shortage of telescopes in the mid-range amateur - 5 year warranty and we can step up by buying the next tube up. The smaller one is also quite useable for birding.

Relative visits.

Head home tomorrow morning for a wet but not flooded drive home.

All the Burgman parts are in so next weeks project. ?️

Long if uneventful day driving home. Lots of black cockatoos here and there. Gorgeous birds.
Screen Shot 2021-03-26 at Mar, 26    2021    11.33.55 PM.jpg
Very different from the sulphur crested tho both have enormous wings.
Screen Shot 2021-03-26 at Mar, 26    2021    11.37.49 PM.jpg
A treeful gets very noisy
Screen Shot 2021-03-26 at Mar, 26    2021    11.37.27 PM.jpg

Ugh - no Burgman parts til April..
Emjoyed this earlier tonight

Will take KLR for a spin tomorrow

Last edited:
Okay ride to Jacques yesterday on the Burgman tho it had stiffened up again so a bit of a ***** to back up. Part of the wall on the range road decided to come down so long wait to get it cleared ....no overheating tho so that was good.

Dodged rain showers on the way up and on the way back then 10 min from home got drenched. ?
Still glad to get out.
all good until ....

:eek: under quarantine now …ONE person in a city of a million ( Brisbane ) and we happened to be in the same giant mall on the same date. There are now 10 cases but only 4 from him. 10 new cases overnight: Brisbane to go into lockdown
We are getting tested tomorrow and I'm calling about my vaccine jab. Nasty critter pursuing me ......

The parts are not in for the Burgman yet so no loss there and a wet week ahead.
Screen Shot 2021-03-29 at Mar, 29    2021    10.00.08 AM.jpg
tho temps coming down nicely and rain tapering off. Easier to sleep and dry season cometh. (y)

2 hours waiting on a nose tickle today despite having an appointment - had shade and chairs unlike quite a few others waiting. Surprised was so busy. Brisbane in 3 day lockdown and that applies to someone who was in the area. Glad I got out for a ride yesterday. Fortunately we shopped heavily when we returned from Bris so well set for go nowhere for a few days.
Supposed to get test results very quickly.

Last edited:
Yay - rotors finally arrived ...of COURSE I'm in lock down for a few days. :(

Hmmmph partner got here negative test back ...me not yet :(

Last edited:
It's in the driveway but buddy is elsewhere....got my negative Covid test and we are out of lockdown on Thursday anyways so - get buddy to do the brakes and rotors and Honda Cairns will put the tire on and do the roadworthy. Should all be complete end of next week barring deluges or buddy on a trip.

Still no windscreen solution but that's not critical at all.

1617503723379.png
finding a filling meal for cheap is a bit of challenge in Aus tho pies are the go to - and are reasonably filling. Had a craving for KFC and came across this for $4.95+ tax. Chicken tenders were okay and the fries dipped perfectly in the rather oddball mashed and gravy serving. Carb overload but was certainly filling and took the sort of timbits home to have with tea. They were like smaller cinnamon timbits - crunchy on the outside and soft in the middle. Tasty enough even on their own.

The KLR farted and coughed getting started after a few weeks layoff but finally found the correct choke position. Glad the lithium battery had some legs. The geometry is different but settled in okay - clutch and throttle a bit stiff after sitting. The BMW was far more lively, lighter clutch and smooth throttle compared to the 17 year old KLR.
I really need to settle on a bike as infrequent riding on the two elderly machines is problematic.

Queensland out of lock down tho masks suggested. Aussies take the 4 day easter holiday seriously for travel and r&r - traffic fines are doubled which would reallllllly hurt but there is still often a lot of accidents as people rush to where ever. Both Melbourne and Sydney are about the same 5 million the GTA is accompanying traffic headaches.

Cairns is only 1/4 million but the northern beaches and beyond up Cape York are popular camping and water sports/fishing destinations and The Atherton Tablelands popular tourist spots within Australia.
Weather is cooler finally - under 30 and mix of clouds and sun so comfortable riding. Could still get wet but hey ...tropics in the wet ...you always have that risk this time of year and most times I dry off before getting home.

Taking the KLR north early today as holiday traffic will be crazy later and don't want tailgaters on the nicely twisty Captain Cook HWY. A relaxing but interesting ride with superb scenery if not being pushed from behind.
Screen Shot 2021-04-05 at Apr, 5    2021    7.27.28 AM.jpg

bailed on the Daintree north of the river as the weather is iffy but lovely at Daintree Village and I beat the rush so got table. Traffic not too bad either and KLR much more comfie today. Motoskivvies and correct stuff on the handle bars. Stopped to lube the chain too
Screen Shot 2021-04-05 at Apr, 5    2021    10.57.14 AM.jpg
Croc spring rolls. passion fruit and dragon fruit all locally farmed and Daintree tea as well

Taking the ferry across the daintree would have put me into heavy traffic coming home and the hottest part of the day.
And yeah you can get snatched by a croc if you are careless around that ramp.
You can see the pull out slides in the mud on either side.
Daintree River Ferry

There are very big crocs out there ...this 5.2m ( 17' )monster was shot and the guy charged. Could face a fine of up to $28,000. Crocs continue to grow until they run out of teeth which can be 100 years. Even then some in captivity are hand fed so continue their growth. And they are insanely fast in attack mode.
1617598919700.png
home at 2 pm and low stress riding. KLR did really well for comfort.
Couple variations of eye candy at the rex outlook.
Screen Shot 2021-04-05 at Apr, 5    2021    4.10.04 PM.jpg
thought I might see a hang glider launch but no luck.
Screen Shot 2021-04-05 at Apr, 5    2021    4.12.53 PM.jpg

Last edited:
32 and maybe a T-storm later - lunch at the Falls Teahouse.

The Falls Teahouse

www.thefallsteahouse.com.au
www.thefallsteahouse.com.au
Looks like a disney set but have swum in this picturesque pool at Mila Mila. Want to beat the T-storms home tho.

KLR did okay up the Gillies today ...Likely go home an alternative. Longish day and forgot my pain pills for the afternoon. 300 km and rode around the rain. This was off to the north and blocking my route to the Gillies ....not wanting to do that monster in the rain, downhill.
rainnorth.jpeg

Screen Shot 2021-04-07 at Apr, 7    2021    7.17.26 PM.jpg
The Tablelands were just gorgeous today ...lovely rolling hills..could easily be parts of Ontario cept for the ferns and palms. Dairy region despite the heat.
southrain.jpeg
Just skirted the rain ( now looking south ) and got home dry tho dripped on a bit. At 32C doesn't take long to dry off entirely.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom