Rider's choice for first set of gear | GTAMotorcycle.com

Rider's choice for first set of gear

mimico_polak

Site Supporter
Hey everyone, not sure if others have experienced this as well...I'm a total noob at this and have started looking for gear (currently using my cousin's gear) and thought I'd give RC a shot. Once I started talking to some older dude there, grey hair, can't remember the name. He immediately took me around and showed me only the most expensive stuff and basically talked down to me when I asked about something more affordable.
I understand quality is expensive but the attitude of the staff and rude responses basically made me not want to return there again. I walked away as I dont believe in spending my $ at a place that talks in such a way to customers.

Hey everyone, not sure if others have experienced this as well...I'm a total noob at this and have started looking for gear (currently using my cousin's gear) and thought I'd give RC a shot. Once I started talking to some older dude there, grey hair, can't remember the name. He immediately took me around and showed me only the most expensive stuff and basically talked down to me when I asked about something more affordable.
I understand quality is expensive but the attitude of the staff and rude responses basically made me not want to return there again. I walked away as I dont believe in spending my $ at a place that talks in such a way to customers.

If you do a quick search, Rider's Choice does not have the best reputation for service. I have also found them to be a bit on the expensive side. If you can hold off, the motorcycle show in the winter is the best/cheapest place to pick up gear, often at heavily discounted prices.

i was just about to the say the same. mixed reviews on here, you get the die hards who defend riders choice to the bitter end then you get the others who refuse to go in there.

that is john mcbride, not known for his customer service skills. ive experienced the same many times and dont go back. i head over to gp bikes, further to go but worth the drive.

Yeah, I still don't understand the bad service some people are getting. They've always been good with me. Mr. McBride has always been really nice to me and given me additional discounts as well. RC is my favourite place for gear.

When you walk into a place like Rider's Choice to buy gear, expect a hefty bill.
All their stuff is high end, they carry mostly Dainese gear which for a decent jacket you're spending 700$+...
I know they carry brands like Rev'it etc... But still, not cheap.

If the OP is looking for affordable gear, he should visit a place like Cycle World, GP Bikes, etc...
Where they carry a wide array of gear at different price points.

You don't go to Harry Rosen and expect to pay a 1000$ for an Armani suit, just not going to happen!

agreed with the above, wait for the bike show, the one in January at the International Center usually has a fair bit of stuff at decent prices. They tend to be busy, so getting personal service might be a little harder if your not sure what your looking for. The one december at the convention center is a bit smaller, but has a bunch of gear too. Not saying spend a mint on new gear, but generally you get what you pay for, try to avoid the cheapest stuff, thats all. Pavement doesn't care.

When you walk into a place like Rider's Choice to buy gear, expect a hefty bill.
All their stuff is high end, they carry mostly Dainese gear which for a decent jacket you're spending 700$+...
I know they carry brands like Rev'it etc... But still, not cheap.

If the OP is looking for affordable gear, he should visit a place like Cycle World, GP Bikes, etc...
Where they carry a wide array of gear at different price points.

Unlikely that you'll find the same gear at a better price anywhere else... Although GP Bikes carries Dainese now, they can't beat RC on pricing. Other shops carry less expensive gear, but you will be looking at completely different brands.

I pretty much had the same response when I went and asked questions.
Right now I am waiting for the motorcycle shows (in Dec I think) to pick up some (hopefully cheaper) gear.

My experience with the gear available at the winter bike shows is that it's all the stuff shops couldn't get rid of during the riding season.

I pretty much had the same response when I went and asked questions.
Right now I am waiting for the motorcycle shows (in Dec I think) to pick up some (hopefully cheaper) gear.

If you're looking for gear don't bother with the December show. The January and spring show had a bigger and better selection.

Stormcat is right they are getting rid of the gear they couldn't sell that season or the season before, but it's all still new and gear doen't change all that much year from year.

go to parker brothers, tell them the situation you are in....they will help you out.

they gave me show priicing for my 2pc shift suit even before the show...

If you're looking for gear don't bother with the December show. The January and spring show had a bigger and better selection.

Stormcat is right they are getting rid of the gear they couldn't sell that season or the season before, but it's all still new and gear doen't change all that much year from year.

I went to both last year, might go to both this year :p
Just looking for OK gear (Boots and pants) for (hopefully) under $300

I went to both last year, might go to both this year :p
Just looking for OK gear (Boots and pants) for (hopefully) under $300

lol hey man, I would never pay full price for gear, I rather get last years stuff for way cheaper. Happy hunting. Under $300 you can do at Royal now if you wanted to with out waiting for the show.

You went to the wrong shop if you're on a tight budget.

John (the owner) is rough around the edges, but he gives it to you straight up. Some people appreciate that kind of directness, others need a gentle touch. You may have felt like he was talking you up for a bigger sale, but he was (almost definitely) giving you the right advice. Gear is important, you'll learn this after you crash while wearing cheap stuff.

You're new. He has 30+ years in the industry and knows his stuff. But yeah, his attitude is a different story... some folks just get put off. If you can look past it and just take it for what it is (direct honesty without sugar-coating), you'll be hard pressed to find a better place to shop.

You can walk into Harry Rosen with torn jeans and get better treatment. This is not how to run a business in my opinion, btw I have experience working at my fathers business. It's never good treating people like that, if your gear is top notch take the time and show the customer why. If you customer is on a tight budget take the time to show them your sale items or cheaper brands. Nothing to gain by letting a customer leave feeling unwelcome and unwanted.

Why do ppl always rant about it on the Internet after the fact. If the guy is being a dick or giving you attitude call him out on it.

There becomes a time when it's not worth buying some of the lower end gear from the other places. You pay for what you get means a lot when motorcycling gear is concerned.

Buying the cheap joe rocket stuff in year one, means you'll be replacing it with the higher end stuff by year 3.
Save the initial purchase cost and buy the good stuff right away.

Very true buddy, but I'm sure these guys would be pulling in way more people in and sales if they took the time to show and explain and simply cut the attitude. Customers will buy the product if you sell them on it. Giving people attitude from the start and expecting everyone that walks into your shop to know the difference between good quality and ok quality is kinda silly and looking at them like idiots when you walk up to the counter and ask a question is not cool either.

Why do ppl always rant about it on the Internet after the fact. If the guy is being a dick or giving you attitude call him out on it.

There becomes a time when it's not worth buying some of the lower end gear from the other places. You pay for what you get means a lot when motorcycling gear is concerned.

Buying the cheap joe rocket stuff in year one, means you'll be replacing it with the higher end stuff by year 3.
Save the initial purchase cost and buy the good stuff right away.

Riders Choice is not going to change the way they view their business practices towards new riders, they would have done it years ago if that was the case.

Someone pointed out that GP is now carrying Dainese, although i only thought it was the Ducati branded stuff. If GP can carry the same quality stuff as RC and sell it at the same price that would be very interesting to see.

GP is carrying Dainese, but they had a very small supply of 1-piece suits. Most of their stuff is geared toward street riding. Their selection of boots also sucks if you're looking for anything track oriented.

I still don't understand this attitude some of you guys claim to get from them down at RC.

lol I even wrote up a good review for these guys cause they helped me with getting a sticky mount for my go pro when every store was sold out including them. Got slammed on the review and after two more visits there I realized why. I'm not even one of those people that likes to be bothered by staff while I shop. Just can't believe that attitude when you have a question or go to the counter for help. Not claiming, telling you my experience.

GP is carrying Dainese, but they had a very small supply of 1-piece suits. Most of their stuff is geared toward street riding. Their selection of boots also sucks if you're looking for anything track oriented.

I still don't understand this attitude some of you guys claim to get from them down at RC.

Back
Top Bottom