Rider with back home experience and don't need to wait for 18 months for M but having some challenges | GTAMotorcycle.com

Rider with back home experience and don't need to wait for 18 months for M but having some challenges

Hello Everyone
I have G license already. I have cleared my M1 & due to my back home experience, I can directly appear on M without having to wait through 22 months.
I also want to go for motor cycle saftey certificate.
Here is my problem:
As i directly want to go to M: the companies who are offering saftey courses have asked me to bring my own motercycle & gears which i can't bring because no one is giving me insuarance on m1 without having saftey course done.
Second, no one is renting me morotcycles as well because i must have M2 or M. I don't have any friend who has motorcycle which I can borrow.

the only option I have is to go to safey course finish m1 exit then buy my bike get insurance, finish my M2 exit & then appear for exam which I'm trying to avoid becuase of extra money on M1 exit.
insurance rate which i have received so far for 300cc range bike for 2017/18 year is around 1400-1500 on average. i live in north york toronto.

I'm just looking to get some advice if there is way to get out of this jam. Thankyou for the help

Pay the $500 for a safety course.
Pass the course.
Save a whole lot of headache trying to get everything else sorted out.

Sometimes it only makes sense to "pay to play."

Pay the $500 for a safety course.
Pass the course.
Save a whole lot of headache trying to get everything else sorted out.

Sometimes it only makes sense to "pay to play."
Agree with this too.
There are many people in the same situation as yourself and they will often find that taking an M1 exit course will also get them an insurance reduction equal to the price of the course itself. Lastly, there is the added benefit of taking some instruction that will help to tighten your skills. Because you already have the basic skills and technique of how to ride a bike, you will hopefully lose some bad habits or gain some other observational skills which will still help to make taking the course more worthwhile.

or

go buy a cheap bike and don't take the course.

Ask one of the schools if you can use their bike for the test. Offer to pay them $100.
Not sure if serious? Would you let a stranger borrow your bike for $100? Remember you are also accepting liability for whatever may happen.

Most of the schools also have very few licensed bikes. I am slightly surprised schools don't offer rental as an option for M2 exit course, but I have never seen a school that does so it must not be viable for some reason (probably insurance).

It's called Catch-22 All motorcycle insurance must be a paradox.

There is a guy that rents bike for a decent price out of oakville.
My wife rented a bike from him for me for fathers day last years. (she probably regrets it now as that's what reignited my passion to bet back on it)
Really nice guy and very well priced.

I will get the contact info and post it hear shortly

School bikes won't be plated or insured for the road; only used for M1 Exit courses.

WTF is this guy advertising? $155 He's all over Kijiji fux ake:

"If you are without a motorcycle and need to complete your M2 or M test, No worries we provide you with a 2011 Kawasaki ninja 250r motorcycle."

Not sure if serious? Would you let a stranger borrow your bike for $100? Remember you are also accepting liability for whatever may happen.

Most of the schools also have very few licensed bikes. I am slightly surprised schools don't offer rental as an option for M2 exit course, but I have never seen a school that does so it must not be viable for some reason (probably insurance).
It is an insurance problem. I wanted to start a business like this, the lowest price I could get from a commercial broker was >$10K a year/bike for a 250 (and I had to do 8 bikes to get that price).

Keep in mind also, that the people who would be interested in this service, don't have a bike, so they can't practice.
Without practice, they will tend to not do as well, so you'd be setting some of them up for failure.
Not to mention that you'd have to take them along with other beginners into traffic safely.
You'd also have to get the bike to and from them, vet their riding ability beforehand, and workout what to do if they failed.

One way for the op, would be to do the M1X, buy a small inexpensive bike, insure it, use it for a while, do the M2X, sell it.
If you buy a cheap bike that's well depreciated, you can sell it for near what you paid for it.

Well winner of longest thread title :ROFLMAO:

How much experience from where?
You have been given the best advice already go for the M1 exit get the certificate, insurance want to you to have this.

"I have cleared my M1 & due to my back home experience, I can directly appear on M without having to wait through 22 months."
I don't understand this part.
Anyway, if OP's the motorcycle license doesn't formally/officially transfer to Canada, all the experience doesn't mean anything.
My wife has a Japanese motorcycle license but it doesn't mean anything to Service Ontario or the Insurance

I concur with this.

There's a $1,500 CBR250 on the reasonable bikes for sale thread...

I doubt the OP wants to drive out to Pembroke for that bike.

Not that its not worth it but......

My wife has a Japanese motorcycle license but it doesn't mean anything to Service Ontario or the Insurance

That's odd. Their testing and restrictions are more stringent than our's.

Those Kijiji motorcycle rental guys are probably either falling into one of two situations:

1/ Not actually insured.

2/ Not actually insured properly....IE, guy has x number of bikes all insured in his name as "personal use"...and then just rents them. When one of the renters has a major accident some day both the guy renting plus the "customer" are going to be in a world of hurt when the insurance company cancels the policy immediately.

Well, yes.....certainly retroactively to the moment before any recent major claims, that's for sure.

The insurance will be worth the paper it's printed on, and that's about it.

Thing is....people renting from outfits like this running out of some guys driveway probably often don't understand the risks.

Back
Top Bottom