Ride Report - 2022 Smoky the Dragon | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Ride Report - 2022 Smoky the Dragon

It looks like you're heading home and I just got here. Would have been good to say hi down here (wouldn't be the first time!), oh well.

So in my case. .I packed the van for both a race weekend and a Deals Gap trip. Did SOAR round 1 on the R3. Soon as that was over, got on the road and kept going. Initial plan was to stop overnight somewhere in Ohio but I felt okay so kept going...stopped at 3 AM at the I75 TN welcome center. Woke up at 6:30, and here we are. The gang that I'm meeting down here has gone to Helen GA for lunch. I didn't have that in me, I'm staying local. It's the Memorial Day holiday here. It's nuts.
Sweet! Sorry I missed you and it would have been pretty cool to meet up again down there. Are you staying at the Deals Gap Resort again or somewhere different?

Helen GA was such a strange town. I had no idea it was like little Bavaria.

We're staying right at the Gap. I'm doing a short ride every couple hours...my leg muscles are still sore from the race weekend. Off for another run...

Hi Shane, nice write up. I have found routes from crossing the border at alexandria that take me all the way down to the bottom of WV and further where I dont touch a interstate once. I have tried many different routes to get through NY and PA that are fun little backroads , and I am always finding more,of course.

You have ridden the roads of south Ohio,right? Where it butts up against WV? Those are twisty technical blind crest roads that will give you a thrill. Not the elevation changes of the higher mountains but thrilling nonetheless .

There is one corner that catches EVERYBODY out down there, without fail,it's like you are catapulted forward with a blindfold on. Sadly, it's been a while and I can't remember where it is now but I won't forget that oh **** feeling and the exhilaration of not killing myself.

I plan my route using old school paper maps and if you just pay attention to road signs you can always find your way around,even through the little towns. Once I cross the border,everything gets turned off ,no phones, Google maps or GPS.

You want some inside info on local terrain and routes? Pull over and unfold a map....folks just can't help themselves and must stop to give some input. And sometimes you get a free lunch or place to stay as well!

The map thing works well in campgrounds too.

I'm struggling with where to go in a couple weeks...down south or back to Newfoundland? Brought a stack of maps with me to work to play with. Haven't been south since 2019/covid so..

It's funny how many great roads I have found that don't look like much on a map. It's so much fun to find that hidden gem . I don't save any of my roads or download them or whatever it is you do.

I dont even own a computer!

I have BOXES and BOXES of maps ,most you won't find anymore,that are printed maps just for motorcycle roads down south. Been collecting them for a looooong time.

Ok, back to ....work....and studying my maps.

Hi Shane, nice write up. I have found routes from crossing the border at alexandria that take me all the way down to the bottom of WV and further where I dont touch a interstate once. I have tried many different routes to get through NY and PA that are fun little backroads , and I am always finding more,of course.

You have ridden the roads of south Ohio,right? Where it butts up against WV? Those are twisty technical blind crest roads that will give you a thrill. Not the elevation changes of the higher mountains but thrilling nonetheless .

There is one corner that catches EVERYBODY out down there, without fail,it's like you are catapulted forward with a blindfold on. Sadly, it's been a while and I can't remember where it is now but I won't forget that oh **** feeling and the exhilaration of not killing myself.

I plan my route using old school paper maps and if you just pay attention to road signs you can always find your way around,even through the little towns. Once I cross the border,everything gets turned off ,no phones, Google maps or GPS.

You want some inside info on local terrain and routes? Pull over and unfold a map....folks just can't help themselves and must stop to give some input. And sometimes you get a free lunch or place to stay as well!

The map thing works well in campgrounds too.

I'm struggling with where to go in a couple weeks...down south or back to Newfoundland? Brought a stack of maps with me to work to play with. Haven't been south since 2019/covid so..

It's funny how many great roads I have found that don't look like much on a map. It's so much fun to find that hidden gem . I don't save any of my roads or download them or whatever it is you do.

I dont even own a computer!

I have BOXES and BOXES of maps ,most you won't find anymore,that are printed maps just for motorcycle roads down south. Been collecting them for a looooong time.

Ok, back to ....work....and studying my maps.
Yeah I've ridden that area of Ohio you are talking about for a few days and your description is bang on. I really liked it and would totally go back to explore more of it. I like that super hilly and twisty farm country and the people are super friendly too. I recall some guy at a gas station telling me where to find all the most crooked roads.

As for going south or going east, all I can say is the border crossing was a breeze and riding down there felt great again. I'm relatively mindful about Covid due to my wife's line of work and never felt at risk while riding. I've never been to Newfoundland, so I can't compare. I still have 4 more weeks off this year if all goes well at work, and if so, I'd love to head out east for a bit.

Shane (and others)........high praise for y'all that take so many beauty pics, and post great ride reports!!
Four of us left Saturday, and will be in Gatlinburg tomorrow.
I've yet to take a pic. And all I can report is.....we've hit so many juicy roads thru WV, VA it's way better than I remembered it.

Back
Top Bottom