Removing stuck hardware | Page 5 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Removing stuck hardware

467cc says so in the manual unless I'm reading the wrong manual.
Also sounds very typical of a large RSU fork, you can normally do both forks with a litre and have some left over.

Are you holding the fork in its fully extended position while attempting to install the cap?

Anddd I finally figured out what the problem was:

There's a little lip on the inside of the fork, its not in any service manuals, or youtube videos, I tried to assemble the forks in a certain order(I put the oil flow stopper WITH the damper as I put both in the fork leg together.(incorrect) This prevented the damper rod from fully dropping through and therefore prevented me from putting the spring in...

you HAVE to drop the damper rod by itself, and only attach the oil stopper on the other end after the damper rod has dropped on the other side

doing this gave me the room I needed
also good call @Brian P on keeping the forks fully extended, it also made putting the fork cap on much easier

My only concern is I had to take the fork apart to figure this out, and will likely have to beat on the new oil seal again with my fork seal driver (not a pipe) and in the process damage the new oil seal

In addition to putting everything back in, I was also able to screw the damper rod bolt in (which was the goal originally)

Aye, I know what you mean, that oil stopper definitely has to go on the end of the damper rod after the damper rod is through the bottom of the fork (that's typical). Sounds like you have it sorted.

This was interesting..
Im doing the other leg and it looks like the previous owner had the spring in upside down, the service manual says the tighter end
of the coil should be up (they had it the other way around)

#Edit: After doing some research it appears they arrive from the factory with the springs upside down but the manual states to put them with the tighter coils up, this appears to be a common thing with many bike manufacturers

VFR forums: Fork Spring Orientation

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom