Remembrance Day | Page 4 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Remembrance Day

I don't.It's enough for us to know that he served in France,Belgium,Holland and Germany.He was back in France near the end of his tour when the building he was in took a shell.He was trapped and dug out.There is a really good reason he doesn't talk about it.

I guess he was too stubborn to die, or maybe he's just so god damn lucky.

I would love to hear his war stories though. Hopefully he doesn't keep his experiences till the end

Do you know the significance of each medal?
Left to right.Voluntary service star/Fgance Germany star/1939-1945 silver medal/King George silver medal. I went back this morning to do some more with his place.It would be interesting to hear his stories.But he chose a long time ago to put it all behind him.

Left to right.Voluntary service star/Fgance Germany star/1939-1945 silver medal/King George silver medal. I went back this morning to do some more with his place.It would be interesting to hear his stories.But he chose a long time ago to put it all behind him.

Thanks for the update.

It would be really nice to hear what he had experience. After all he went thru many theaters of war

Thanks for the update.

It would be really nice to hear what he had experience. After all he went thru many theaters of war

My own grandfathers both served. One was infantry with the Irish Regiment of Toronto. The other remained in England.
I was too young to know the over all significance of what they did, especially since the one who spent his time in England on account of his early passing.

My other grandfather who went into Europe sure did some astonishing things. He too has since passed away and was quiet about those days. I joined the very year he passed away so we never were able to connect soldier to soldier. Still, I did some digging on the regiments past. I uncovered some pretty neat things.

His regiment had been one of the first waves of Infantry into the Netherlands.
Just last fall I went to Europe and visited the very town where he and his company took the town back from Nazi occupation.

When we got off the train we hoped in a taxi and asked to go to the museum they have dedicated to that very group of Canadians. Sadly it was closed for the season. The cab driver knew the owner and called him on his cell. He was willing to come and open it for us the very next day but he was at his own daughters wedding in France. Sadly we couldn't stay longer so we didn't get a chance to see the museum. Our taxi driver treated us like celebrities.

When I spoke of my grandfather he pretty much gave us a tour of the small town and told us how the capture all took place. The dutch truly love Canadians and were received nothing but hospitality that day from these people so thankful for what the Canadians did. I tell you, I tear up thinking about it and how heart warming it was to see all that.

My grandfathers medals remain on my families wall. All 16 of them. So many campaign stars from all over Europe. One day, I hope to be half the soldier he was.

My own grandfathers both served. One was infantry with the Irish Regiment of Toronto. The other remained in England.
I was too young to know the over all significance of what they did, especially since the one who spent his time in England on account of his early passing.

My other grandfather who went into Europe sure did some astonishing things. He too has since passed away and was quiet about those days. I joined the very year he passed away so we never were able to connect soldier to soldier. Still, I did some digging on the regiments past. I uncovered some pretty neat things.

His regiment had been one of the first waves of Infantry into the Netherlands.
Just last fall I went to Europe and visited the very town where he and his company took the town back from Nazi occupation.

When we got off the train we hoped in a taxi and asked to go to the museum they have dedicated to that very group of Canadians. Sadly it was closed for the season. The cab driver knew the owner and called him on his cell. He was willing to come and open it for us the very next day but he was at his own daughters wedding in France. Sadly we couldn't stay longer so we didn't get a chance to see the museum. Our taxi driver treated us like celebrities.

When I spoke of my grandfather he pretty much gave us a tour of the small town and told us how the capture all took place. The dutch truly love Canadians and were received nothing but hospitality that day from these people so thankful for what the Canadians did. I tell you, I tear up thinking about it and how heart warming it was to see all that.

My grandfathers medals remain on my families wall. All 16 of them. So many campaign stars from all over Europe. One day, I hope to be half the soldier he was.

I know there are certain tours out there that bring you to the towns and places where they fought. I am not sure if they are available in Canada though. I would love to do one of these tours one day, I think it would be interesting.

http://www.stephenambrosetours.com/tours/patton-it.html
http://www.worldwar2toursofeurope.com/
http://www.worldwar2tours.com/

I've met someone from the US who has family who fought in every generation, since the civil war.

A little follow up.We had a memorial service at the Waterloo Legion hall today for my father inlaw's brother,Jack.He passed away at the age of 90.The summer before last he played 100 rounds of golf with his usual foursome.Just family and some friends attended.Here are a couple of pics.The first (1939) is of the 3 brothers that went to war and came home safe.
The second (1940) is of my father in law's two brothers.Donny,on his Enfield broke his kneecap when the skinny front tire got into a rr track and took him down.With no ohip,and funds being tight,the other two where forbidden from riding those things! The three of them went to war and all came back.
powers004.jpg

powers003.jpg

A little follow up.We had a memorial service at the Waterloo Legion hall today for my father inlaw's brother,Jack.He passed away at the age of 90.The summer before last he played 100 rounds of golf with his usual foursome.Just family and some friends attended.Here are a couple of pics.The first (1939) is of the 3 brothers that went to war and came home safe.
The second (1940) is of my father in law's two brothers.Donny,on his Enfield broke his kneecap when the skinny front tire got into a rr track and took him down.With no ohip,and funds being tight,the other two where forbidden from riding those things! The three of them went to war and all came back.

Lucky guys!

Revive an old thread for those that care.My father in law has had to give up his apartment and car at age 88.He has chosen a nice Kitchener retirement home.We are cleaning out his place of all the old furniture etc.I have been polishing his medals for the last while,so he told me to just take care of the "important stuff" in the closets and throw out the rest.
I found a box with his helmet from the war and now i know why he suffered from shock after the war.A bullet through the front of the lid will do it.He also has a copy of the "Maple Leaf" newspaper in the box dated May 9th 1945 with pictures of the Germans surrenduring.

His helmet. Is the front of the helmet on the left?I can't ask him.
scaled.php

Inside pic.
scaled.php

Last edited:
I was talking to a guy at work who had mentioned that his father was a war veteran. After a few talks I found out that his dad was a British soldier that landed on Sword beach on D-Day. My grandfather would have been in the heavy cruiser (Frobisher) behind him that was part of the task force bombarding German defensive positions on the same beach.

Small world...

I was watching this show in the History Channel and they were re-analyzing the battle of Dieppe. There was some controversy surrounding that battle. They mentioned that the Battle of Dieppe was just a ploy to diverge attention from the Enigma Machine. They were really after the Machine and the battle was so poorly planned and so much lives were lost that they wonder if the gov't had intentionally put lives in danger.

Would suck for those who lost loved ones there and figure it was all just for a ploy

Revive an old thread for those that care.My father in law has had to give up his apartment and car at age 88.He has chosen a nice Kitchener retirement home.We are cleaning out his place of all the old furniture etc.I have been polishing his medals for the last while,so he told me to just take care of the "important stuff" in the closets and throw out the rest.
I found a box with his helmet from the war and now i know why he suffered from shock after the war.A bullet through the front of the lid will do it.He also has a copy of the "Maple Leaf" newspaper in the box dated May 9th 1945 with pictures of the Germans surrenduring.

His helmet. Is the front of the helmet on the left?I can't ask him.
scaled.php

Inside pic.
scaled.php

That is priceless!! Treasure this insight to your dads past.

His helmet. Is the front of the helmet on the left?

Hard to tell Rick. Usually the boys would wear their shell dressing on the back or sides but it doesn't mean he didn't wear it on the front..

Does that say C/LC on the inside anywhere?

Those are getting harder to find especially with all the components still attached.

Hard to tell Rick. Usually the boys would wear their shell dressing on the back or sides but it doesn't mean he didn't wear it on the front..

Does that say C/LC on the inside anywhere?

Those are getting harder to find especially with all the components still attached.

Not to change the subject but, buddy, I have watched your signature movie things like 20x in a row now and it keeps getting funnier. Just excellent.

Since we I see someone people telling war stories. You will have to excuse me I don't know all the details its an old story told second hand as I never met the man.

My great grandfather on my mothers side was stationed someplace of in Africa he was a young man. He was sent out on a patrol of some sort. When he came to some sort of opening in the brush there was a German solider on the other side about ten feet away.
The were both young the German barely looked 18. The stood looking at each other for about 2 minuets each gripping their rifles nervously..in the end the just both turned around and walked away.

Sorry, I did not mean it that way. But what those guys did back then were in a different league compared to what the guys do now. Ortona, Passchendaele, Juno Beach, Vimy Ridge, just to name a few. Lots of lives were lost in those events. Lots of people do not know how difficult it was for those guys and I just wanted to highlight that.

*** Didn't realize this was an old thread. But still very relevant.

Agreed although Korea, Vietnam, Afghanistan & Iraq have had some brutal combat. The battle of Fallujah was pretty brutal for the USMC. Lots of lives lost and mental scars that will stay with them forever. My younger brother is/was a Staff Sargent with the USMC 3/5 Darkhorse & 1st F.A.S.T. Company before that. He always says his proudest achievement was bringing all of his guys home to their wives and kids.

I don't have a lot of Military tradition in my family. Being mostly Canadian we have been fortunate to not have had as much war since WWII although Korea was brutal but we stayed out of Vietnam. Talking to my Brothers former marines it is amazing the military history a lot of U.S. families have. Being a Marine was a family tradition for most of them.

My Grandfather fought in WWII with the U.S. Army and was a war photographer. He was awarded a purple heart. He died when I was 1 and he never really ever mentioned the war to his kids and wouldn't let them join up although they were living in Canada (prez of Shaffer Pen Can) at the time of the Vietnam war only one of my uncles was drafted but had medical issues that forced him to stay stateside.

My other Grandfather was a farmer and he and his 4 brothers were deemed essential to the war effort and weren't allowed to enlist. To this day I know he feels guilty about being forced to stay home and farm instead of fight along side his friends and countrymen.

Last edited:
I'm ****** right now. My wife's cousin "is a USMC Lance Corporal". He's posting lots of remembrance day stuff on facebook, talking about being regarded in ceremonies today, showing off his glove and anchor tattoos, etc. the problem is he actually got an involuntary discharge due. Papers don't say why, but it's usually drugs. He got the boot three years ago. Family still thinks he's reserve, that he's spec ops, he wears no medals because he "cannot be recognized". A freedom of info request showed otherwise. Only my wife and I know. All the family thinks he's a hero.

I'm ****** right now. My wife's cousin "is a USMC Lance Corporal". He's posting lots of remembrance day stuff on facebook, talking about being regarded in ceremonies today, showing off his glove and anchor tattoos, etc. the problem is he actually got an involuntary discharge due. Papers don't say why, but it's usually drugs. He got the boot three years ago. Family still thinks he's reserve, that he's spec ops, he wears no medals because he "cannot be recognized". A freedom of info request showed otherwise. Only my wife and I know. All the family thinks he's a hero.

Spec ops lance corporal? Sometimes families don't want to believe the truth. Sounds like a sad individual with lots of issues. My brother had to deal with a Marine like that were he was only in for family tradition (father was a Marine older brother a Seal) but the guy was a complete waste and tried to take others down with him by launching a DOD complaint against all his superiors and making up stories that proved untrue. All it took was a sit down between my brother and his father/brother to get it all sorted with the family and DOD charges stopped. Its amazing what people will do to avoid shamming the family.

Last edited:
Since we I see someone people telling war stories. You will have to excuse me I don't know all the details its an old story told second hand as I never met the man.

My great grandfather on my mothers side was stationed someplace of in Africa he was a young man. He was sent out on a patrol of some sort. When he came to some sort of opening in the brush there was a German solider on the other side about ten feet away.
The were both young the German barely looked 18. The stood looking at each other for about 2 minuets each gripping their rifles nervously..in the end the just both turned around and walked away.
I think I would've done the same, lol

I went to a small local service today. Only a couple of thousand people, but it was nice.

Back
Top Bottom