Reliable bike for my kid returning to riding after illness | GTAMotorcycle.com

Reliable bike for my kid returning to riding after illness

MacDoc

Site Supporter
Kenz stopped riding a few years back after we had some fun trips together to the states and to BC. He had several bikes from 14 on to when he stopped riding - he's 29 now...the last being a hopped up 2013 FZ8 he got for a steal brand new and then tweaked. We have all the gear and he - amazingly, given his occasional love for speed, is ticket free so adding him to existing policy is cheap and I can scratch my itch for something a little sportier as well.

Never did understand at the time why he quit but looking back from now, some clear reasons occur. He's been a bit of a hard luck kid with his health ...type one diabetes from age 9 but he coped "okay" ...not without it's drama.

Has a partner and they have a place in the city near my daughter but he was having a hard time holding a job. Make a long story short he was diagnosed with level 2 brain cancer in Feb :( and went for a course of treatment that has it stable. That tumour was growing slowly for a few years and accounts for some of his issues over that period.....a mental fog he called it and loss of interest in things. No one suspected a tumour. No imminent risk but more of a mental challenge now. He can't work yet as he's high risk after treatment but I'd like him out and riding once his doc says it's okay.

Looking for a reliable ride - low maintenance - FZ6 or some such ...in the $2-3k range. I want something I can ride as well and he can do distance on. He did not like the SV650SF seating and I certainly would not. Metric bike ...ideally a four but would consider a twin. Sport touring fits the bill.

$_59.PNG

This fits ...but think it's sold.

Looking for ideas on bikes less than $4k and ideally lower. Still early in this process but like feedback on reliable machines ..newer of course is better but price is factor. TIA

Last edited:
First off - sorry about your son and hope he stays the course. I know the grind of treatments and it can be an up and down thing.

I'd say that the FZ6 is the perfect bike for all the things your describe. I also like the Bandit 600's, but not sure if they are less on power.
I'd also say an older VFR, but not sure that would be a comfy bike for you.
My guess is that if you up your price range to focus on the $4k range you can easily find what you want.

Thanks Shane. I think I'd be okay on the VFR for short rides. I've always wondered about Bandits but never pulled the trigger. Are the 600s reliable?

I have heard very good things about them from past owners, but can't speak from personal experience. The older Bandit 1200's are pretty cheap and look like a blast to ride. You might also get good reliability on a slightly newer gsx650f.

Also a Ninja 600(zzr) or a Honda 599 might be fun to blast around on.

Don't want a litre bike tho a CBF1000 is possible rather something in the 600 range with less aggressive ergos. He's onside for kicking some in so ....we can at least have some fun looking until he gets doc approval.

Wait, you're waiting for a doctor to tell you it's cool to ride your motorcycle? Do they make doctors like that :unsure: I never met one.

Umm yes anyone that has a seizure has to get clearance to drive or ride. My riding buddy in Australia had the same situation. They put him on some meds and a year without another siezure he got his licence back. There are lots of conditions where you need a doctor to approve your licence or restore driving priveleges after an illness. Not just illness either.

Some nice gixxers around - prices all over the map. This is okay - kid liked it too.

this might be better yet.

Not sure what are they going for but Bandit 1250s are Nice. They are torquei but but very smooth and decently comfy.

Too big , too much for insurance ...too thirsty

Not sure how I would be with the ergos vs a VFR - he's good with a VFR

Pretty cheap

Last edited:
... Never did understand at the time why he quit but looking back from now, some clear reasons occur....

.... There are lots of conditions where you need a doctor to approve your licence or restore driving priveleges after an illness. ...

Maybe he quit because the doctor pulled his license, that's the only time you actually need a doctor to restore the license.

Um he quit riding 4 years ago. He was still driving. The doctor pulled his licence after a seizure in Feb 2020 due to an undiagnosed tumour. Do stay on point instead of speculating.

Oh so his license was only pulled a few months ago, that was unfortunate. He should ask his doctor what the prognosis is on his returning to drive and ride motorcycles.

Um he quit riding 4 years ago. He was still driving. The doctor pulled his licence after a seizure in Feb 2020 due to an undiagnosed tumour. Do stay on point instead of speculating.
Can't help you with your quest for wheels but I can send you and your son my best wishes getting through this. One of my high school friends suffered from headaches (and other symptoms) for years and had a crap family doctor. It culminated in an emergency run to a distant hospital and a 12" scar on the side of his head. He has now wrapped up chemo, is back to work and the prognosis is good.

Thanks - yeah level 2 brain cancer has a reasonable survival rate ( decades ) and medicine is moving very fast in this area. Glad your friend finally got it sorted. Brain tumours are low on the probability lists for doctors until a seizure occurs.

••••
Trials
The tumour was more unfortunate than his loss of licence. This post would not be here if he was not likely to ride again. We have the same family doctor and I know Kenz condition as he shares the information. Part of the fun is just going bike hunting.

I lost my older brother to a brain tumour 12 years ago. Best luck and wishes to your son.

Thanks Shane. I think I'd be okay on the VFR for short rides. I've always wondered about Bandits but never pulled the trigger. Are the 600s reliable?
I like 600 Bandits and the GSX650s- super dependable, inexpensive parts and fun to ride. They don't have SS power, but they move out nicely and unless you're racing the performance wont embarrass him. If insurance isn't an issue, the 1200Bandits are a hoot.

You can fine lots of low mileage Bandits (<30K) from 2004 on for less than $2500. Another $1000 and you're in GSX territory. Leave a little budget to set it up with things.

I lost my older brother to a brain tumour 12 years ago. Best luck and wishes to your son.

I lost mine 6 years ago. He had been ignoring symptoms that he thought were related to a crash a few years earlier. A lady I know has a brilliant mind but she has a medical condition that makes her body want to destroy itself. Her doctor told her to front end load her life. She has done so responsibly and is doing well. Good advice for all of us.

I'm not sure if this bike is specifically for your son or something on hand for him as things progress. The curse of this Covid thing is that you can't do lunch and drop by some shops to kick tires, seeing what fits the situation for both of you.

Best wishes for the two of you.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom