Reliable bike for my kid returning to riding after illness | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Reliable bike for my kid returning to riding after illness

I just picked up a 2007 bandit 650 from Tillsonburg on Saturday. Very clean, 11000 km for $2750.

Sent from my SM-A530W using Tapatalk

Seems the better deals involve some driving ....looking at a VFR in Barrie. Trying to find one with a touring screen and ideally a Corbin seat. Easier to put a touring screen on than buy a new seat. I'm leaning toward the VFR but want one with service records. Kid will kick some in towards it but not sure something from say 2006 has an advantage over a 2003. :unsure:

Seems the better deals involve some driving ....looking at a VFR in Barrie. Trying to find one with a touring screen and ideally a Corbin seat. Easier to put a touring screen on than buy a new seat. I'm leaning toward the VFR but want one with service records. Kid will kick some in towards it but not sure something from say 2006 has an advantage over a 2003. :unsure:

Once you get the make and model picked you can check if some years had potential problems or if there was a major improvement. Once they're over a certain model year, condition trumps age.

A UVIP lists the previous owners. If the bike changed hands too often I would question whether it was abused, neglected or a lemon. I wouldn't buy the UVIP for every bike on my shopping list but if the owner had one, it would be nice to see.

One guy had a UVIP and listed 7 owners since 2002 ... I came across a 2006 with one owner.
I still want to sit on one and feel the ergonomics - seems the better compromise machine that I can still ride and the kid likes.

Some complaints are low speed handling as a bit top heavy but lovely on the twists and open road. A couple had risers on and I'd favour that. Hard to get a safetied one but there is one that had a safety and did not sell.
Also want to make sure the valves have been done given the VTEC.
Maybe I should wait on a CBF1000 since I know it, have some spares and no issue with the ergos. Kid turns 30 in year and his insurance drops. Got my last CFB1000 at $5k from Quebec and had a good couple years. Have seen as low as $3700 last year but I'd love to score a MKII around $4k.

One of the riders at the Forks has a MKII ( amongst other bikes ) ....wonder if I can sweet talk him :unsure:
Heading up there daily so will just keep my eye out.

not sure something from say 2006 has an advantage over a 2003. :unsure:
Agreed. At your price point you are either looking at models up to 2001 as a group or 6th gen 2002 and after as a group.
You should be able to get almost all the offerings up to 2001 in your price point, but only some units after 2002 in your price point (based on condition, mileage etc.)

Are you also checking auto trader? I prefer that a source for buying bikes over Kijiji.

Thanks ...I tried Auto-trader but nothing jumped out. Might have found a CBF1000 not too far away ...might look today. There is a 2003 VFR in the running.

Wait, you're waiting for a doctor to tell you it's cool to ride your motorcycle? Do they make doctors like that :unsure: I never met one.

I was thinking the same, any doctor will take away OP's son's licence on the spot. He has to be very careful. My friend has been without a licence for 2 years now, he was rear-ended and claimed he was hurt and tried to get money from the insurance, weeks later he found out his licence was suspended, his physiotherapist recommended his licence be taken away, he can't work so he can't drive. A new tactic being used by insurance companies into intimidating you not to sue.

I'm anxious to meet my new GP, we're out in the country, the first thing I am going to ask him is does he ride motorcycles. If he blows up on them,
I'll say good I agree with you ? I only ride broncs and bulls myself, if I'm ever in here all busted up that is how it happened, I fell off my cow.

Absolutely perfect outside today, no bugs for some strange reason.
Not sure why, but I'll take it as an omen to go ride.

go saddle up my water buffalo.
R0T56jd.png

ew, they lead them by the nose, that's only slightly sick :unsure: why don't they use the big pointy handlebars

Found ....so the seller of this is buying a buddy's 1200 gixxer, the original owner of this bought a VFR800 ... ?

cbflrg.jpeg
2008 CBF1000 83,000 km 2 owners full records and what the ad was not clear on .....full Honda luggage.
Safetied ( doubt it will need anything ) Totally set up for touring including a touring screen and full key sets.
$3700

Thanks for suggestions...looks like I'll have a bit more fun this

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-05-27 at May, 27    2020    6.59.27 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2020-05-27 at May, 27 2020 6.59.27 PM.jpg
    313.9 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
I like 600 Bandits and the GSX650s- super dependable, inexpensive parts and fun to ride. They don't have SS power, but they move out nicely and unless you're racing the performance wont embarrass him. If insurance isn't an issue, the 1200Bandits are a hoot.

You can fine lots of low mileage Bandits (<30K) from 2004 on for less than $2500. Another $1000 and you're in GSX territory. Leave a little budget to set it up with things.
Came here to say this. 650 bandit will do the trick.
edit too late.

Supposed to pick it up today but dealer was late getting safety done ( no problems with the bike ) so delayed til tomorrow morning ..I'm fine with that given the storm cells out there. 1590782179500.png
Staff came home from an errand said the rain/wind was wild tho no thunder.
Turns out the CBF is only $170 a year more to insure so given the limited touring and cheap gas switched insurance to the CBF and will ride it until kid can. Has better luggage than the CB500x and fuel is cheap these days. Some grumbling from the garage troll :D

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-05-29 at May, 29    2020    3.54.54 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2020-05-29 at May, 29 2020 3.54.54 PM.jpg
    192 KB · Views: 8
just read the thread. cbf1000 sounds like a great capable bike. I can remember you talking this bike up in the past. I like.

It is so good to hear your son is getting back into riding. looking forward to seeing some more pics of the new bike! on a road trip!

Last edited:
Since my comment seems to have disappeared. Congrats on the new bike....looks great! Although I will say the red you had previously is much sexier.

Back
Top Bottom