Recommended km before going for the M Course? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Recommended km before going for the M Course?

gt915

mSorry for another one of these threads...my search didn't come back with any answers.

Obviously there isn't a set km but is there a rule of thumb for how much riding you have done after your M2 course before you go for the M? What are the levels of riders at say learning curves, RTI, or one of these colleges on the M portion?

Timeline:
New Rider - did the M2 course in august 2016.
Never got a bike until aug 2020
Riding for a month or so pretty much 20km each day consistently (somewhat confident at speeds & turns, including some highway speeds but definitely understand I am still a newbie)

Why I wanted to do the M this year:
-Insurance, license history purpose
-In case price goes up 20 bucks or 40 bucks next season
- Off chance things are booked up or my schedule don't align
- Still aint got that many bad habits

Why I think I should wait:
- Will learn more?
- More confidence
- Full season of riding afterwards versus not using the skills in the winter

Thanks in advance

If you think you can pass the M then I would get the M asap. You should always keep learning to ride better, confidence should be kept in check. Sooner the better for getting insured (think now you need 6years for an SS).
20km is pretty good on local roads but your commitment to riding each day is to be admired. thumbs up!

The more riding you can get under your belt prior to taking the M Roadtest the better. And you'll find the test easier. It looks like you have one year to get it:
"Once you get your M2 licence, you have up to five years to finish the learning process. After five years, if you do not get your full licence, you will need to start over." - via ontario.ca

Best of luck!

mSorry for another one of these threads...my search didn't come back with any answers.

Obviously there isn't a set km but is there a rule of thumb for how much riding you have done after your M2 course before you go for the M? What are the levels of riders at say learning curves, RTI, or one of these colleges on the M portion?
Doesn't matter if it's riders taking a course or riders going directly to the Ministry - they come with all levels of skill and experience. Some have been riding dirt bikes for years as kids and then transition to the street, so they are proficient with the mechanics and primarily need to focus on the rules of the road. Others have no experience prior to getting their M2 license and they gain the experience during the 2-5 years of holding the M2 license. Other riders may have lots of riding experience as an M2 rider, but have developed many bad habits which they need to unlearn.

Instead of comparing yourself to the skills of other riders taking the M test, perhaps focus on comparing yourself against the requirements to pass the M while keeping yourself as smooth, safe and competent as you can be on the streets.

You could also think about taking an M course which would help to better prepare you and/or reduce any bad habits and/or further develop your skills. Personally, even after riding over 100,000km during my M2, I still took the course to see what kind of things I could improve upon. I didn't need to take the course to pass, but it really improved my riding having someone offer feedback on my skills and technique.

You should have no issues with schedules not lining up to take the test next year. Get your practice in and be as best prepared as you can be. The cost increase of $20 or $40 for the test is really minor compared against an extra year of practice. The insurance reduction may be a valid point for you, but can only be validated by calling your insurance company or others to see what kind of reduction you get with a full M.

If you have not already read this thread, there may be a bunch of helpful hints to help you prepare:

I just got my full M yesterday, things I would suggest you do in order to pass with flying colors:
-Keep your head on a swivel(Mark your helmet with visible tape) and physically move your head in exaggerated manner, looking at all possible
hazards (driveways, intersections, gas station entries/exits, stop signs, etc)
-Ride in a defensive tire track
-Ride in the right lane unless instructed otherwise
-Do an exaggerated mirror check after each turn and lane change
-When asked to lane change or turn, be sure to Mirror check, signal and check blind spot(shoulder check)
-Stop BEFORE the line when coming to a stop sign or red light, (you're allowed to roll forward after to get a better view of the intersection)
-When coming to a stop or slowing down, DONT rely on just engine braking and downshifting, you want to flash your brake lights letting people know you're slowing down

They also do a small highway portion which is really easy, it lasts 2 mins, they enter and get off at the next exit, requiring a simple lane change

On my test I was told they werent concerned with the speed limit as long as we were riding the speed of traffic to stay safe(in brampton no one drives 60 km/h)

Before taking you out for the test they also do some slow speed parking lot stuff just to check if you can at the very least control your bike

(This is the stuff they look for, in addition to general riding competence, there were a bunch of guys who haven't ridden a day since getting their M2 and showed up on rented/borrowed bikes, and their lack of seat time showed, one kid ran a red light, another guy got lost...)

You're allowed 25 points(mistakes) at 26 its a fail(I got 4 points total)

Do the test as soon as you feel you are ready for it. Nobody but an examiner can really say without a doubt if you are ready.

Insurance doesn't care about m license. It's by bike model and number of years of continuous coverage mostly.

Pricing concerns are valid but it'll always cost more to repeat the test than any singular price increase.

Don't hype yourself up about the test. Too many friends do really stupid stuff that's completely out of character on the m test cause they psyched themselves up.

Insurance doesn't care about m license. It's by bike model and number of years of continuous coverage mostly.

This is a relatively new thing I believe, M designations used to be common discount targets, but recently many insurance companies don't give 2 squats. Aviva updated their entire moto insurance requirements and sent out a list of "we don't care anymore" about quite a few things.

Sent from my LG-H873 using Tapatalk

More to the response. Since you never had gotten a bike since you got your license, you've probably forgotten many of the habits the Ministry wants you to have.

There are a great number of things you need to do for the test that many people consider optional. You may be doing what others do on the road but they are real no-nos on the test (brake light at lights, only left foot down, blocking position, shoulder checks before starting from stop, etc).

I would encourage you based on what you said and not having seen you ride, that you just spend the extra money and do a M2 exit course. It's late in the season but check the schools on the forum and do that. 4 years and only 1 month riding doesn't sound like a recipe for a one and done.

Hey OP....
So, in my opinion, as an M2 instructor... you're going about it *ALL WRONG*...
You've got your M2, but haven't really done anything with it until recently... 20km a day, over a month, is about 600km. That's what you've got under your belt.
Are you safe going onto the highways? Are your skills adequate? Have you done any extra riding courses to increase your skill or just doodling around your neighbourhood??

I know people who have taken a a whack of extra courses within 3 months of m2- track days, advanced riding, dirt biking, and they are so much more capable than riders who have "I've been riding for 20 years - I don't need this stupid course!" attitude.

Take an *HONEST* look at yourself. How do you compare?

Good Info all around. Thanks everyone

I will get a bit more experience under the belt and go for the m course come next spring.

Interesting though one thing I didn't bring up was that I got my MSF cycle endorsement in the states as well in July as I was also a resident, the MSF course was way cheaper only $50, and I was bored af. So I did have another "refresher" if you will. But the things they teached were more advance than the M1exit course maybe its because our riding group was pretty advanced.

What kind of riding do you do? Will it be commuting or weekend get always?

There is prepping for the M and there is gaining experience to deal with the common risks you’ll encounter.

I don’t deal with street cars or street car tracks for example but, I have to manage traffic congestion, limited visibility so, having keen defensive skills.

Don’t have to lean much but, do have to content with roads with gravel and leaves.

You have time so, use it to your advantage. Get out there and ride. And book your M when you are comfortable.

It’s a personal decision. And if you try and fail, at least you know what you have to deal with at the mto for next time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Now is good.

It is more training is it not

Mileage may be indicative of some things but not everything.

It is a road test after all, and with the amount of possible errors only a competent street rider will pass. Taking the practice courses before hand will show you what YOU are good at. What to keep in mind and be cautious about, and what to sleep on and improve upon.

Back
Top Bottom