Recommendations for a good cruiser/tourer | GTAMotorcycle.com

Recommendations for a good cruiser/tourer

thegamb8

Hi friends, I currently ride a 2003 VStar 1100 Custom. I’ve been riding this motorcycle for over 10 years and I feel it’s time for a change soon.

I’m looking to buy a new motorcycle next year (hopefully) and was wanting some recommendations from the community.

There are so many models to choose from and I want to start doing some research. I’d love to read real owners suggestions and experiences.

Im looking for something that’s reliable, powerful and comfortable. Im not an FJR person - just want to put that out there beforehand.

I would primarily be using the motorcycle to ride around town and go for leisure rides on weekends to the Kawarthas, etc. However, if the occasion calls for it l do want the motorcycle to be comfortable enough to ride to say, Ottawa, for example.

Budget maxes out at around 20k

Looking forward to your input. Thanks in advance

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
they're all the same, slow, heavy and poor ground clearance

they even all look alike

throw a dart and go nuts

Cruiser/tourer is a bit vague. Let the group know a bit more, budget, ergo likes/dislikes, your physical stature. Do you value style or performance? Style or dependability? And makes or models you like or dislike?

When hubby was looking to change out his FZ1, we looked at many models including the Yamaha Venture and Kawasaki Voyager...he ended up getting a Honda CTX1300...we mostly do short jaunts but I'm sure it would be fine on a longer trip...not many out there as they were only made for one year in 2014...

Cruiser/tourer is a bit vague. Let the group know a bit more, budget, ergo likes/dislikes, your physical stature. Do you value style or performance? Style or dependability? And makes or models you like or dislike?

Budget tops out at 20k

I like the cruiser style look. I’m an athletic guy 5 feet 10 inches tall. I like a mix of style and performance. I’d love to have the kind of dependability I’ve had from my current VStar - zero issues all this time.

I’m open to all makes and models as long as it fits the budget and criteria.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would say a 2017ish BMW K1600B or a Triumph Rocket 3.

Sadly all the 'fun' options are probably going to lack in reliability vs the safe choice: Japanese.

Im looking for something that’s reliable, powerful and comfortable. Im not an FJR person - just want to put that out there beforehand.

Sounds like a power cruiser? Maybe a V-Max?

7HVC25KBDBA3PNUGWRAG34FJHI.jpg

Less reliable, but a whole lot better looking, then you're looking at a Diavel.

Yamaha MT 01, there are a couple on Kijiji.

85da41d09d528394ea586359956c000e.jpg

How about the outrageous Suzuki B King?

32884b647967bfbdb554da2cd44c40b6.jpg

e946e05e9255c1a6a254fbe9dfada065.jpg

Since the preference is Japanese .....
Suzuki M109?
Honda VTX 1800?
Yamaha V-Max?
Kawasaki Vaquero?

Disclaimer, I am not a cruiser rider ... I don't "get" cruisers. From how I see it, anything a cruiser-style bike can do, can be done better by something else ... with the possible exception of if someone is demanding of an extremely low seat height.

Original poster wants "reliable, powerful and comfortable. Im not an FJR person - just want to put that out there beforehand." That was a cut-and-paste.

Why ask "reliable, powerful and comfortable" and then exclude the very bike that comes to mind that checks off all three boxes very well, probably better than any cruiser-style bike? (I know several people with Yamaha FJRs, and they all really like them.)

"I would primarily be using the motorcycle to ride around town and go for leisure rides on weekends to the Kawarthas, etc. However, if the occasion calls for it l do want the motorcycle to be comfortable enough to ride to say, Ottawa, for example."

Okay, so for "ride around town" then being relatively light and compact would be a good thing, but "comfortable enough to ride to say, Ottawa <presuming that said original poster is from the Toronto area>" that means it would be best to have a comfort-oriented riding position and decent wind protection and decent suspension (which cruiser-style bikes generally don't have ... not enough travel).

The thing that comes to mind - setting aside what the bike looks like! - is a Honda VFR800.

Reliable? That bike is the paragon of reliability, with the possible exception of voltage regulators, and that's a manageable problem.

Powerful? Plenty.

Comfortable? Yes.

Relatively light and compact relative to the cruiser- and touring-bike norm? Yes.

Wind protection? Yes, and if the stock windscreen still isn't enough, those bikes are well supported in the aftermarket.

Suspension - cornering clearance - suspension travel - with aftermarket support if stock isn't good enough? Absolutely.

Within the price range? Yup, with room to spare.

So the only thing "wrong" is that it doesn't look like a cruiser.

What am I missing?

If you don't want to see (as much) plastic fairings and can sacrifice/compromise the wind protection then there are a plethora of naked bikes that would also serve the stated goals well (and be well within the price range). Kawasaki Z900, the Triumph Speed Triple/Street Triple series, Yamaha FJ09 or whatever they're calling it now, Suzuki GSX(not R) series, and lots more.

And on top of that, most of the "adventure" style bikes - of which there is enormous choice - are standard-style bikes decorated as dirt bikes - the main compromise being seat height on most of them.

^this x 100

I love it when people functionally describe essentially an adventure bike, but simply want a cruiser for 'the look'

Not judging, ride what you want, but its still funny

Back
Top Bottom