Recommend a medium size but compact (flat) socket set? | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Recommend a medium size but compact (flat) socket set?

So..... if you are SO concerned about rounding fasteners etc. why even discuss big box store tools? Many of these are 12 point BTW for reasons mentioned earlier.

Get some real sockets on rails and put it in an old laptop bag, low profile box, or whatever.... skip the blow molded cases.

Obvious, tool truck stuff BUT if you want to save some money check out S-K, Genius Tools, JH Williams (which is industrial Snap-On and much cheaper), Blue Point (offshore snappy), JET etc.

MC Professional was a shot at this quality, you won't find that level today.

While there is no doubt six point is less likely to round problem fasteners if it is a serious day to day problem for someone either they are working on some seriously seized and corroded stuff or there is a technique problem.... Specially when we are talking about a take along tool set.

If it is the first thing, try some heat and penetrating oil.... If it is the second take it in and have the mechanic take a look...

If you need real tools then buy real tools, not big box...

The sparkling bottled water of fastener removal

AVE made an entertaining video where he investigated a bunch of different snake oils. As expected, most don't live up to the hype. I figure they rarely hurt so if something is stuck and I have the time, grab whatever bottle is at hand and gob some on.

AVE made an entertaining video where he investigated a bunch of different snake oils. As expected, most don't live up to the hype. I figure they rarely hurt so if something is stuck and I have the time, grab whatever bottle is at hand and gob some on.

Of them all Kroil and Mouse Milk work the best. You can make DIY penetrating oil that works twice as good for a tenth of the price.

Of them all Kroil and Mouse Milk work the best. You can make DIY penetrating oil that works twice as good for a tenth of the price.
Kroil was far from the best in this test.

Mouse milk is a new one to me. I may have to add a bottle to the snake oil collection.

Make your own. ATF, clear kerosene, acetone, and thinners

While there is no doubt six point is less likely to round problem fasteners if it is a serious day to day problem for someone either they are working on some seriously seized and corroded stuff or there is a technique problem.... Specially when we are talking about a take along tool set.

If it is the first thing, try some heat and penetrating oil.... If it is the second take it in and have the mechanic take a look...

If you need real tools then buy real tools, not big box...
On my first car, 3rd gen firebird, bolts rounded all the time. On ze germans that never happened to me. It's still not worth the risk to start with a 12point, round it then try with a 6point.

On my first car, 3rd gen firebird, bolts rounded all the time. On ze germans that never happened to me. It's still not worth the risk to start with a 12point, round it then try with a 6point.
Depending on zero German in question, there are tons of triple square and inverse triple square. I have never seen those as part of a larger set.

Depending on zero German in question, there are tons of triple square and inverse triple square. I have never seen those as part of a larger set.
Yep lots of triple square. 12 point on 12 point fastener can handle higher torque compared to the corresponding 6 point on 6 point fastener. I just tossed out imperial hexes and replaced them with triple square. I did the same for a few missing deep sockets.

Of course real pros that "get into some bench tear-downs and rebuilds " are probably good enough to use torx on triple square bolts.

A magazine did a test, they used ATF/Acetone 50/50 and it came out as best.

I never heard of kerosene added to the mix, I'm curious.

For all of you that are mechanically inclined..... Penetrating Oils Compared A study done by Machinist's Workshop magazine in their April 2007 issue looked at different penetrating oils to see which one did the best job of removing a rusted bolt by measuring the pounds of torque required to loosen the bolt once treated. If the study was scientifically accurate, it turns out a home brew works best! Here's the summary of the test results:

Penetrating oil .......... Average load

None ..................... 516 pounds

WD-40 .................... 238 pounds

PB Blaster ............... 214 pounds

Liquid Wrench ............ 127 pounds

Kano Kroil ............... 106 pounds

ATF-Acetone mix.............53 pounds

The Automatic Transmission fluid (ATF)-Acetone mix was a "home brew" mix of 50 - 50 automatic transmission fluid and acetone. Note the "home brew" was better than any commercial product in this one particular test. A local machinist group mixed up a batch and all now use it with equally good results. Note also that "Liquid Wrench" is about as good as "Kroil" for about 20% of the price.

I could see kerosene giving it a 'creep' factor that could help it penetrate. At home we used to throw pumps and winch bodies that had lived in salt water in a bucket of deisel fuel, it helped.

@FullMotoJacket, do you have ratios for that mashup? I use penetrating oil on occasion by the quart, anything better than retail mix is in my wheelhouse.
25-25-25-25 is a gun bore cleaner. For penetrating oil drop the thinners and go 50 ATF, 25 kerosene, and 25 acetone

Back
Top Bottom