Recommend a medium size but compact (flat) socket set? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Recommend a medium size but compact (flat) socket set?

unL33T

I had this and while it was old, rusty, and a cheap brand, it had almost all the sockets I need and I love how efficiently the space in the case is used.
3f14238d30ecb1c4ab36acae24b19dc9.jpg

I think the case was under 2" thick which meant I could just slide it under something in my trunk.

But someone stole it from the trunk of our work vehicle when we accidentally left it unlocked overnight in downtown London. Wouldn't mind so much if I didn't love the profile and I was going to get to keep this one for personal use as I had approval to replace it for a newer one at work.

Anyway, anyone have recommendations for a similar set? Everything else I find is either much bulkier or much skimpier in parts.

There's gotta be something similar at Canadian Tire. I usually pick a few things out I'm interested in and then sign up for email notification when it inevitably goes on "sale".

Thanks for the suggestions. Unfortunately the first two have no deep sockets and the last one has stuff in the lid and lots of unused space so not as compact as I'd like.

I'm picky. That's why I need help, lol.

Have skimmed Home Depot, Lowes, Canadian Tire, eBay, Try Hard Industrial, Tenaquip...

Actually considering seeing if I can buy the one that pic is from that was posted on some Kijiji-clone and just buy the missing pieces separately, lol.

I’ve had a Stanley ¼ + 3/8 set for probably a decade now and its been great. I think it’s around ~100 piece “black chrome” with a blow molded case. I’ve stuck pipes on the ratchets, etc. and it shows no signs of giving up. All the sockets are still in excellent shape. Think I paid under $100.

You can get those 200+ piece sets but I find they have a bunch of sockets/bits you will never end up needing. I keep a separate box for all the random oversized sockets / ½ stuff that I need once in a blue moon.

Don't think they make the exact set I have anymore but its similar to this

Reactions: J_F
I've got this 183 piece Stanley set from CTC
Stanley is not traditionally known as a quality brand
but this stuff is damn good for a home-wrencher

k4J9WPQ.jpg

watch the flyers as they often blow this set out for $99

Depending on what sizes you need, this set is pretty small as it eliminates the need for deep sockets. No idea if you can still find them, I think they existed under a number of different brands back in the day.

Attachments

• 20190909_162401.jpg
    20190909_162401.jpg
    184.4 KB · Views: 34
I was thinking about this thread last night, as I closed my Canadian Tire purchase Stanley set, with the items in the top of the lid, and as they fell out as I was closing it... very annoying.. I get why you don't want things stored on the lid side...:rolleyes:

A few of the Stanley sets go on sale tomorrow at CT (usual 65/70% off). I think one of them should come close to fitting the bill. As far as quality, I believe they are the ones that currently make the Mastercraft sets.

Mastercraft Professional was really good stuff back in the day, IMO they have nothing of that quality anymore (Maximum falls well short).

Stanley sets have 12 point sockets or a mix of 6 point and 12 point. 12 points are undesirable. Maximum sets are 6 point.

I really with I could get a metric only set.

12 pt sockets use less metal to make than 6pt sockets which is why you often see them in low cost sets, yes its a tiny percentage of less metal, but do that 3,000,000 times.

there are times where a 12 pt socket is advantageous
2 X the positioning possibilities - rear axle nut and torque wrench come to mind
and there are some 12 pt bolt heads/nuts around - Ducati
but for the average homeowner/drive way mechanic
6 pt is usually fine

twelve point sockets are awesome handy at turning 6 sided nuts into giant flat washers.

sigh

get into some bench tear-downs and rebuilds
engine, trans, pumps valves etc

you won't be long getting some decent 12 pt sockets
for the reasons mentioned above

driveway superstars apparently know better though

this has carried on long enough

not offering OP or anyone on here any value

I'm out

buy whatever off shore crap is cheapest

this has carried on long enough

not offering OP or anyone on here any value

I'm out

buy whatever off shore crap is cheapest

This isn’t even for personal use. Work will cover almost anything within reason. Just can’t find a kit I like.

Damn addicts stealing anything not tied down! lol

Interesting to hear that this was actually a quality kit. I feel less guilty about being attached to it.

Reactions: J_F

Back
Top Bottom