Rear stands - anyone use one without spools? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Rear stands - anyone use one without spools?

espro

1ldjU.jpg

Anyone here use one of the standard rear stands that don't require spools? Pitbull makes them and I'm sure others do. Problem is that my bike doesn't have spool mounts and while you can get through axle sliders that double as spools, I imagine that could make chain tension adjustment difficult to get right since the wheel wouldn't be free "floating"? While I don't expect to be doing it, it also means I wouldn't be able to remove my rear wheel

So I'm just wondering, anyone have experience with these? Are they "good enough"?

I have them and they work perfect, I got mine from Royal for I think it was $100 for front and rear. (Not pitbull though)

I recently got gorilla stands front and back from Kapsco Moto they were like 69 bucks but they are the spool version, I don't know if they have a non-spool version of them.

I recently got gorilla stands front and back from Kapsco Moto they were like 69 bucks but they are the spool version, I don't know if they have a non-spool version of them.

They don't have a separate rear stand, but they do sell them in a kit

I use them on the FZ6R. I found that I had to wrap the rubber contact point in electrical tape to prevent the bike from occasionally sliding.

I used to use a stand like that on my FZ6R. The only thing that I found was that I had to situate the pad a little further up the swing arm than in the pic above otherwise it would hit the sprocket bolts and prevent the rear wheel from spinning. Not an issue for storage but it makes chain lubing impossible. Other than that, no complaints.

Edit: Mine was spring loaded and didn't have set screws for the pads like the pit bull. Buy the one with the set screws!!!! The springs are a pain in the ***

Last edited:
I use the rear one on my 696 and it hold it fine. I got it from GP i think for $71. I also use the front stand i bought for the same price. It lifts it from the front triple. Works great.

You cant use the set screws with the non spool arms because the need to spin as you lift the bike. I just took the springs out of mine and it works much better. If you wanted to do anything you could put some collars on the shaft to lock them into place.

I used to use a stand like that on my FZ6R. The only thing that I found was that I had to situate the pad a little further up the swing arm than in the pic above otherwise it would hit the sprocket bolts and prevent the rear wheel from spinning. Not an issue for storage but it makes chain lubing impossible. Other than that, no complaints.

Edit: Mine was spring loaded and didn't set screws for the pads like the pit bull. Buy the one with the set screws!!!! The springs are a pain in the ***

I've got one from GP. Not sure of brand, might be gorilla. Works well but I do find the bike slides on them as well, perhaps needs adjustment. I had problems with the spring and adjustment increments as well so but I was able to work around it by installing the springs on the opposite side with large washers at the end.

Definitely "good enough" but you can also have spool threads welded on or threaded holes tapped in the swingarm (welding is better).

IMO, You might still be able to adjust chain tension with axle lifts but probably not a great idea. The adjustment screws would basically be pulling the weight of the bike instead of the weight of just the wheel which might lead to thread damage or make it hard to position it just right.

You cant use the set screws with the non spool arms because the need to spin as you lift the bike. I just took the springs out of mine and it works much better. If you wanted to do anything you could put some collars on the shaft to lock them into place.

Actually not so..
With all our bikes I must have fronts and rears from Battlefactory to Pitbull (bit bull being the best) and the pit bull rear has a double-acting rear plate- hooks on one side for spools and flat on the other for swing arm pitch- they both lock solid with setscrews- They all work very well- As John McBride once said ' hell anything will lift a bike...'

We (Wasted and I) weren't talking about the pit bull fixed arm ones. We were talking about the cheaper ones you can get at GP or royal.

Actually not so..
With all our bikes I must have fronts and rears from Battlefactory to Pitbull (bit bull being the best) and the pit bull rear has a double-acting rear plate- hooks on one side for spools and flat on the other for swing arm pitch- they both lock solid with setscrews- They all work very well- As John McBride once said ' hell anything will lift a bike...'

My current bike does not support spools.
But I still use my spool rear stand.
I just put a steel rod through the back axle.
Works like a charm.

I have the Pitbull version shown. My garage floor wasn't entirely level, so the bike tended to slide backwards along the swingarms. As such, it was a bit unreliable.

Good idea, Lowrider. If only my axles had been hollow...

I'll probably be selling mine soon, once I get around cleaning up the workshop.

Once upon a time I had a folding rear stand. Stay away from that idea... I've never been so nervous putting a bike on a stand.

Use mine for winter storage and haven't had one problem with them. Got rear and front for $90 at the gear shop at SON.

I've got the one shown but the SS version (the one you can switch between spooled and non-spooled). Since my RC doesn't have spools on it I use it as a standard stand and haven't had an issue.

I haven't had an issue with it sliding but that is because I either have the bike in a sport chock or I use a front stand.

Yeah I got some secondhand, they work great on an SV650. It can be a little more touchy getting it into the right positioning, but once that is done, it does what it's supposed to do.

Back
Top Bottom