Rear shock gas cylinder placement. | GTAMotorcycle.com

Rear shock gas cylinder placement.

boooya

Site Supporter
Ok so this makes no sense to me whatsoever other then the fact that the manufacturer wants it in a specific location as to not contact anything during suspension travel.
My FJR1300 rear shock gas cylinder has a very specific set of instructions in the repair manual as to how they want it mounted.

Instructions
•Align the projection "a" on the rear shock absorber gas cylinder bracket with the punch mark "b" on the rear shock absorber assembly gas cylinder.
•Make sure that the distance "c" between the rear shock absorber assembly gas cylinder bracket and the end of the rear absorber assembly gas cylinder is 4.0 mm.

Now does it really matter in what position the gas cylinder is in as long as it will not contact anything?
I can't see why that would make any diffrence at all but they seem pretty specific about it.
Anyone with some actual real knowledge please chime in.
I have a picture but I have apperently exceeded my limit ..
130e9464e8d69c39d8c521fbe64ac0d5.jpg

Last edited:
I doubt it makes much diffrence as long as it is not exposed to excess heat, doesnt hit anything, you can access any adjustments and the hose is not kinked .

Maybe they want you to mount in that way, so it can be serviced ? Or does not interfere with other components.

The cylinder contains oil from the shock and nitrogen and these are separated by a floating piston. Orientation does not affect operation but as other have suggested, it may be for packaging reasons. Make sure that the hose isn't stressed in whatever position you end up with.

Yea besides the obvious reasons of clearance and interference o just wasn't sure why there instructions were so specific.
Even in the factory location there is no chance of it contacting anything if it were 3 mm or 5 mm, but there exact measurement of 4mm had me second guessing myself.
Obviously when I relocated it I made sure there would be no clearance issues or pinched line.
Took into consideration suspension travel and had a couple guys sit on the bike and bounce it a couple times to make sure even at a bottom out situation it would still clear.
I didn't think the position of the gas cylinder would make a diffrence but didn't hurt to double check.

Yea besides the obvious reasons of clearance and interference o just wasn't sure why there instructions were so specific.
Even in the factory location there is no chance of it contacting anything if it were 3 mm or 5 mm, but there exact measurement of 4mm had me second guessing myself.
Obviously when I relocated it I made sure there would be no clearance issues or pinched line.
Took into consideration suspension travel and had a couple guys sit on the bike and bounce it a couple times to make sure even at a bottom out situation it would still clear.
I didn't think the position of the gas cylinder would make a diffrence but didn't hurt to double check.

maybe the hose can only bend so much perhaps? (mfg's will use a big service factory for parts)

Yamaha Feng shui'ed the reservoir body for maximum performance

maybe the hose can only bend so much perhaps? (mfg's will use a big service factory for parts)
There is 0 bend or flex on the line, both mounted to body so they move as one.

Back
Top Bottom