Re: Loud exuasts | GTAMotorcycle.com

Re: Loud exuasts

Ricky6R

Site Supporter

[FONT=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif]Just wondering how many of you guys get pulled over for loud exhaust. I'm interested in getting an M4 or perhaps a TBR exhaust and yeah they sure sound frikin awesome but damn it all are they loud. There is no decibel limit mentioned in my city's ordnance that I know of, it just says the vehicles must have mufflers in good working order not producing an excessive or unusual noise. I've talked to a few cops and most replied with they never once stopped a biker with having a overly loud exhaust. A few coppers just didn't have a clue and replied with something stupid like "get it and see what happens." What kind of advice is that to say? Where do they find these people? So whats the deal with loud exhausts?

[/FONT]

Hi Ricky,
Let me just say that in all my (many) years riding sportbikes, the very worst thing is a slow, noisy bike.
If you extrapolate this to conclude fast, quiet bikes are joyful, you'd be correct.
I found over the years that anytime my ride was loud, I'd be found 'at the back' of our riding group, going slower than if my exhaust noise was muffled.
On a more quiet machine I'd be always at the front! If not leading...
It's funny how that works.

I'll never forget touring the old neighborhood and popping down into a whole nest of cops all standing around, at least 3 or 4 cruisers, investigating what was apparently an alarm at the John G. Althouse middle school.
I guess I was doing maybe 80 in a 40 km/h school zone (it was summer so no school anyways).
You know NOT ONE of the cops even looked up as I rolled through the scene!
That was with stock exhaust in place.
(Heavy though.)

So I would recommend a good hi-tech aftermarket exhaust, if you wish, that meets the current California standard = 84db.
Will save you a bunch of weight and still be quiet at low RPM, but will wail nicely when the revs get up, as it should be.
The California restriction is similar to the new Caledon and Oakville bylaws - trend of the future.
So get a pipe if you want, but show some smarts and grab something mainstream like Yosh that is California-legal.
You'll enjoy your bike much more and might even go faster! Again, it's funny how that works...

Honestly, lots of young guys I encounter with wide-open pipe, no turn-signals, no reflectors etc. are just wanna-be racers.
Most have never been on a racetrack in their lives.
Come to reality! Look around you - I see broken pavement, potholes, mud, dirt, sand, streetcar tracks, curbs, and thousands of minivans doing 40 clicks.
(Oh and leaves, wet leaves and garbage, almost forgot.)
Doesn't look like the racetrack to me.

Anyway Ricky, pace yourself brother. Be smart.
Ride defensive and try to think like a school-mom in a minivan...
There are lots of old people too in their 1980's cars, just trying to survive a grocery run, y'know?
Keep the revs down in town, and try to live long & prosper.
(Maybe ride for almost 40 years like me.)
Drive a stock ZX14 once or twice, and you'll never dream of a noisy 600 ever again.
Regards

Last edited:

Just wondering how many of you guys get pulled over for loud exhaust. I'm interested in getting an M4 or perhaps a TBR exhaust and yeah they sure sound frikin awesome but damn it all are they loud. There is no decibel limit mentioned in my city's ordnance that I know of, it just says the vehicles must have mufflers in good working order not producing an excessive or unusual noise. I've talked to a few cops and most replied with they never once stopped a biker with having a overly loud exhaust. A few coppers just didn't have a clue and replied with something stupid like "get it and see what happens." What kind of advice is that to say? Where do they find these people? So whats the deal with loud exhausts?

Every bike ive ever owned ive had an aftermarket exhaust on. From FMF, Yosh, D&D, Two bros and now a Hindle. Never once have i been pulled over, but then again the pipes weren't stupid loud, except the D&D.

At the same time years ago i got a ticket for a "loud" exhaust on a camaro with stock exhaust. :confused: So its just a matter of what uneducated, silly cop you run into.

Just wondering how many of you guys get pulled over for loud exhaust. I'm interested in getting an M4 or perhaps a TBR exhaust and yeah they sure sound frikin awesome but damn it all are they loud. There is no decibel limit mentioned in my city's ordnance that I know of, it just says the vehicles must have mufflers in good working order not producing an excessive or unusual noise. I've talked to a few cops and most replied with they never once stopped a biker with having a overly loud exhaust. A few coppers just didn't have a clue and replied with something stupid like "get it and see what happens." What kind of advice is that to say? Where do they find these people? So whats the deal with loud exhausts?

The legislation is slowly moving in to have db restrictions on exhausts.

I have a two bros on my FZ6. It's pretty dang loud.

However, when I pull in through my mom's subdivision at 2am when I'm visiting, I just keep the bike in a high gear and the revs low and pretty much coast in and have never had a complaint.

I've never had a ticket for a loud exhaust, but that's likely because I rarely scream the bike.

My FZ6 is pretty loud with a M4 slip on, though have yet to be pulled over for it. One cop downtown even followed me for a bit to ask me about the exhaust as he wanted one himself.

Next bike is going to be quieter

M4 isn't that loud

I had Voodoo on my other bike...never got pulled over with those either.

since the topic is about exhausts, quick question, by removing the exhaust (slip on muffler) and running the bike without it, will that cause any damage to the engine ?

That depends...are you removing the exhaust or the muffler

I got pulled over, I told the cop it was stock exhaust "Look right here, stamped, meets EPA noise only 86db!" he let me off with a warning :)

[video=youtube;15k1vvDeEvo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=15k1vvDeEvo[/video]

-Jamie M.

I think with most aftermarket exhausts you're ok as long as you're not cruising around in a low gear at high revs. (Like alot of annoying bike guys do)

Just keep it civil and use common sense and you'll be fine

Back in the day I had a '85 mustang cobra (the last one with a carb). The exhaust system was kinda funny because it had headers going into one catalytic converter and then split up into dual exhaust from the cat back. The whole system was 2" diameter pipe. Some after-market company was selling a "hot setup" with 3" pipes and the catalytic converter was replaced with a H pipe. This was supposed to give you better performance because it was free flowing (3" diameter pipes, less resistance, right). Well after reading a bunch of magazines and comparison articles it turned out that the system they used in racing these things in GTO class was a 2" H pipe made by Ford SVO. Apparently the narrow 2" pipes gave the exhaust gases higher velocity and that helped suck more spent gases out of the cylinders.
So after-market exhausts may not deliver performance advantages that they promise and may actually hinder performance. If you are getting it for free you might want to experiment but if you have to pay for the new slip-on then I wouldn't bother. Your bike was built with pretty good parts from stock and delivers pretty good power. As others have said in previous threads, you are better off investing your money in track-days and learning how to ride the thing to its full potential.
BTW, that Mustang was only 200 HP stock and about 225 HP with the fancy exhaust. There weren't any Japanese cars as fast as it was and the only N.A. car that was faster was the 'vette. Fortunately things have changed.

At the same time years ago i got a ticket for a "loud" exhaust on a camaro with stock exhaust. :confused: So its just a matter of what uneducated, silly cop you run into.

The stock exhaust on my old 944 is loud as hell. When I was still living with my parents they'd be able to hear me coming home long before I was in the neighborhood.

Back in the day I had a '85 mustang cobra (the last one with a carb). The exhaust system was kinda funny because it had headers going into one catalytic converter and then split up into dual exhaust from the cat back. The whole system was 2" diameter pipe. Some after-market company was selling a "hot setup" with 3" pipes and the catalytic converter was replaced with a H pipe. This was supposed to give you better performance because it was free flowing (3" diameter pipes, less resistance, right). Well after reading a bunch of magazines and comparison articles it turned out that the system they used in racing these things in GTO class was a 2" H pipe made by Ford SVO. Apparently the narrow 2" pipes gave the exhaust gases higher velocity and that helped suck more spent gases out of the cylinders.
So after-market exhausts may not deliver performance advantages that they promise and may actually hinder performance. If you are getting it for free you might want to experiment but if you have to pay for the new slip-on then I wouldn't bother. Your bike was built with pretty good parts from stock and delivers pretty good power. As others have said in previous threads, you are better off investing your money in track-days and learning how to ride the thing to its full potential.
BTW, that Mustang was only 200 HP stock and about 225 HP with the fancy exhaust. There weren't any Japanese cars as fast as it was and the only N.A. car that was faster was the 'vette. Fortunately things have changed.

Still even just a slip on for a bike or a performance muffler for a v8 muscle car brings it alive. Who cares about the power gains, the sexy sound is enough :D

Any added power is a bonus

Still even just a slip on for a bike or a performance muffler for a v8 muscle car brings it alive. Who cares about the power gains, the sexy sound is enough :D

Any added power is a bonus

I was in the anti-noise camp until I bought a VFR with a Two Brothers high mount. Having a nice sounding bike adds so much to the enjoyment of riding.

That said, I try to keep the revs down in town and to be reasonably polite. It sounds so good even at the low end of the tach.

Hi Ricky, [...]
Anyway Ricky, pace yourself brother. Be smart.
Ride defensive and try to think like a school-mom in a minivan...
There are lots of old people too in their 1980's cars, just trying to survive a grocery run, y'know?

In all, Gryphon has good advice but I couldn't help but notice that last part.

If I were to think and drive like a school-mom in a minivan, I would be sleep deprived, half in the bag from mid-afternoon pink bottle chardonnay, imagining myself as some kind of queen-***** tiger-mom for whom everyone else on the road is either another child in need of yelling at, or a threat to her slobbering, screaming brood. Minivans are like rolling asylums for one. Avoid.

Never bet drivers see or hear you, or assume that if they have, they won't just try to kill you anyway.

Back
Top Bottom