Quit our jobs, sold our home and everything in it, gone riding... | Page 35 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Quit our jobs, sold our home and everything in it, gone riding...

Updated from http://www.RideDOT.com/rtw/115.html

map115-L.jpg

We're on the move again. Today we are going to ride through the Honduras, tackling both borders in a single day. We've absolutely enjoyed riding around Central America - the people, culture and geography here are wonderful. The only exception - that Twilight Zone between countries, where a deluge of helpers, documents and stamps, money changers, photocopies and queues threaten to spoil all the good impressions we've had so far.

DSCN0424-L.jpg

Neda is not one to be Bullied around on the road!

This is our second time through, having done this same crossing at the same place just 7 months ago. That time was under great duress - we were in a rush to meet the Stahlratte in Panama, I had a full-blown flu and was running a high fever while on the bike, and we were bickering and arguing at each border crossing. This time around, we're going to use all our lessons learned from the first time and try to make this crossing more enjoyable.

DSCN0426-L.jpg

"I am not a crook!"

Most important lesson: Be prepared. Give yourself lots of time. Get to the border early. Have all your photocopies ready. Avoid Hanger (Hunger+Anger) Management Issues: arrive on a full stomach, bring lots of water and snacks.

We approach the west border separating El Salvador and Honduras around 9:30AM. It's already hot and we're thankful that we've brought a lot of water. About a km away before the actual border lies the El Salvador Aduana booth, where we have to cancel our vehicle permit. Dozens of people come running towards our bikes, looking like some angry mob. But they're not angry. They want to help us cross the border. For money, of course...

We know the drill by now, the helpers urge us to pull over, motioning to the side of the road. We make a game out of it, swerving around them like pylons. Some of them start to chase our bikes, like paparazzi stalking Justin Bieber. When we pull in front of the Aduana booth, they launch into their spiel: "This is the hardest border crossing in the world!", "Is impossible! Cannot cross without my help", "One does not simply ride into Honduras"...

step3-L.jpg

First stop: Get El Salvador vehicle permit canceled

Neda strides purposefully to the Aduana booth, using her superhuman Spanish skills to stymie the helpers swarming around her. Concerning all matters regarding the Espanol, I am the sidekick: the Robin to her Batman, the Watson to her Sherlock Holmes, the Wilson to her Castaway... Neda has given me the UberImportant task of keeping guard over the bikes while she attends to business. This is the action-movie equivalent of being told to stay in the van during the exciting fight scenes.

So I devise a way to amuse myself while she does Superhero stuff. I am going to document step-by-step how to cross one of the most frustrating borders in Central America, if not the world. And I'm going to take lots of pictures. Because I do that anyway...

step42-L.jpg

Aduana completed, we head to the Immigration to get our passports stamped out

The "helper" industry is big business. Although you wouldn't know it from the prices they charge. Some offer their border crossing services for $5. Ignore them long enough and they lower the price to $1. Before you go thinking that's a great deal, the reality is that the helper will broker all transactions between you and the officials, so if a fee actually costs $3 USD, they will tell you it will cost $15 and pocket the extra $12. And there are many transactions to complete at the border (some are even no-cost, but your helper won't tell you that). Officially, it should only cost $38 USD to cross the border with yourself and a motorcycle. However, I've heard horror stories of travelers paying $150-$200 *MORE* than they should have at this border crossing! Big business.

They mainly target non-Spanish-speakers. Often they'll point to fancy (and some not so fancy) laminated badges that they wear around their necks implying that they are officials of some sort. If you look closely at some of the badges, you will see that the pictures printed on them might not even match the face of the badge-wearer! LOL!

step61-L.jpg

After getting stamped out of El Salvador, we've got to get stamped into Honduras

Another species of border dwellers are money changers - CambioGuys - who roam around with big wads of bills in their hands. They provide a foreign currency exchange service and their exchange rate is very good. Very good for them. Not for you. They are all in collusion with each other not to compete for rates, so don't bother shopping around.

I heard a great tip: If you haven't planned wisely and still have a lot of the local currency when you hit the border, don't use a CambioGuy. Instead, try to find another traveler coming from the other direction and exchange money with them, since you'll both need the currency from where you both came from and you can use the official exchange rate to both your benefits.

step62-L.jpg

Assortment of helpers and CambioGuys stare helplessly as Neda completes Aduana (customs) by herself

Between pestering Neda for information on what she has just done at every stage so I can complete my How-To document, I am given a new task: Waterboy. I really have to pick up this Espanol-language thing if I'm ever going to make it out of the van...

step64-L.jpg

Finally, after two hours, the Holy Grail of overland travelers: Temporary Vehicle Permit for Honduras

DSCN0439-L.jpg

Familiar sight at border crossings: food stalls and photocopy places

DSCN0442-L.jpg

Finally we cross the border, and we run into the Iguana Motorcycle Club from Honduras!

DSCN0444-L.jpg

Riding the Pan American highway through Honduras

DSCN0452-L.jpg

200 kms later, we reach the eastern border of Honduras

There are not a lot of helpers at the Honduras/Nicaragua border. You can always tell how difficult and complicated the border crossing will be by how many helpers swarm you.

DSCN0454-L.jpg

I like how all the border crossing buildings are colour-co-ordinated!

DSCN0455-XL.jpg

Every picture of Neda I have today is of her lined up at some booth!

IMG_1304-L.jpg

How nice of the fumigation guy to Armor-All our tires... :(

DSCN0472-L.jpg

Yay! We're in Nicaragua!

If you are a planning to travel through Honduras with a vehicle, you can view the step-by-step write-up on how to bypass the helpers and do-it-yourself (even with little or no Spanish) in our Questions section here:

http://www.RideDOT.com/faq/honduras.html

Just curious as to why you're skipping Honduras? Out of all the central American places I've been Honduras had the most extremes...it was the country that had amazing beaches and jungle scenery with amazing ruins, but it is also by far and away one of the sketchiest countries I've been to and felt distinctly unsafe in a few places.

A truly epic threat , epic journey, have really enjoyed following along. Awesome!!!! Glad you both made it back safe !!!!Now get a job lol
Gary

Updated from http://www.RideDOT.com/rtw/116.html

map116-L.jpg

Granada, Nicaragua is one of those pretty colonial towns in Latin America that tons of tourists flock to see. Along with Antigua, Lake Atitlan, Caye Caulker, etc. it's considered part of the "Gringo Trail" - towns and sites that have been transformed into supercentres for foreigners hoping to get a taste of Central and South America outside of the beach resorts. Unfortunately, the very act of being a tourist draw changes the local flavour, offering westernized food in the restaurants for foreign palates, increased security and infrastructure, more English being spoken on the street, and disappointingly for us, increased prices for accommodations and food across the board. :(

DSCN0511-L.jpg

Made the mistake of riding through the market - heavy traffic!

DSC_0040-L.jpg

Central park in Granada

DSC_0044-L.jpg

We pretty much had the whole city to ourselves!

Granada is deserted during the weekdays on the off-season. The heavy rains in the afternoon deter many tourists from visiting Central America, but if you time your excursions right (meaning you are an early riser), you can get a lot of sightseeing and traveling done and not get too wet.

DSC_0047-L.jpg

The main cathedral in Granada

DSC_0048-XL.jpg

Umbrellas serve dual-purpose, also keeping the mid-day heat at bay

DSC_0026-L.jpg

Granada is tiny, everything is within walking distance

DSC_9963-L.jpg

Discovered a great Moroccan restaurant where we had fried avocados. Delicious!

DSC_9971-L.jpg

Even the streets are deserted! Tumbleweeds chased after this moto.

DSC_9982-L.jpg

Colonial architecture painted in vivid colours

DSC_9988-L.jpg

Chilling out in Parque Centrale

DSC_9992-XL.jpg

Hat fitting? :)

DSC_0072-L.jpg

Mombacho volcano is always looming above Granada's low skyline

DSC_0053-L.jpg

Granada motorcycle meet

DSC_0064-L.jpg

Getting cloudy - time to head back to the hotel!

We are getting a bit travel weary again, after almost 6 weeks back wandering around Central America. We're both feeling like we need more than just a couple of days downtime. However, we've got a few appointments to keep so we're going to push on just a little bit longer.

[video=youtube;gIUGNsTg4yo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gIUGNsTg4yo[/video]
Riding around Granada

Updated from http://www.RideDOT.com/rtw/117.html

map117-L.jpg

Costa Rica is expensive!

We left Granada and headed south to the border, stopping overnight in Liberia where we stayed at an AirBnB. The owner was quite knowledgeable about all things Costa Rican and told us that the country has successfully marketed itself to foreigners as a safe tourist destination; lots of expats bringing retirement money into the country, as well as skilled professionals moving to CR, and with them came the US chains chasing this new demographic. Unfortunately, for most of the locals, their wages stayed the same and they are suffering the high cost of living.

DSCN0519-L.jpg

Windmill Alley on the Pan American

Tamarindo is a great beach-side town on the Pacific coast of Costa Rica. Beautiful sandy beaches and lots of tourists flocking to the surf lessons and snorkel tours. We stayed a couple of days here just to relax a bit and soak up the sun. It's still raining a little bit in the afternoons, and we're finding that it's difficult to predict when the precipitation will come as we travel to different regions and the Central American winter season starts to taper off.

DSCF0345-L.jpg

Waves make fantastic shapes on the sand at Tamarindo

DSCF0348-L.jpg

Watching the world go by

DSCF0365-L.jpg

Neda said we needed more beefcake shots in the blog. The best I could manage was a bit of cheesecake...

DSC_0101-L.jpg

"...enjoys long walks on the beach as well as blasting through muddy single-trail on a dirtbike..."

DSC_0112-L.jpg

And here's the beefcake: Fabio emerges out of the forest luring women onto his stable of horses.

DSC_0154-L.jpg

Tamarindo is a popular place for tourists

DSC_0160-L.jpg

Dog waits patiently for his master to return from surfing

DSC_0252-XL.jpg

"Sale" in Costa Rican Spanish means mark it up 100% and then discount it 50%...

sweet photos, Gene. Epic ride.

They don't even want to have kids. They are so rich they don't have to work at all. It's some kind of lifestyle of rich and endless riders. When they become 80 they obviously quit riding as there will be a day where we start using walking sticks no matter whether we used to be a stuntman, armyman or Chuck Norris. That's what my grandma says.

They don't even want to have kids. They are so rich they don't have to work at all. It's some kind of lifestyle of rich and endless riders. When they become 80 they obviously quit riding as there will be a day where we start using walking sticks no matter whether we used to be a stuntman, armyman or Chuck Norris. That's what my grandma says.

Does your grandma find you hard to understand?

Awesome ride. Great update and photos as usual. Your writing cracks me up. Love the updates more as I get ready to put the bike away for winter sleep.

Stay safe out there.

Two weeks without an update. You guys ok?

Same spot, 7years apart lol

101611972-L.jpg

Fannette Island, the only island in Lake Tahoe. There's a building on the island that Lora Knight built as a teahouse which she'd take guests out to by boat

From my trip last summer:
2013+-+1

Last edited:
Updated from http://www.RideDOT.com/rtw/118.html

map118-L.jpg

After a couple of days at the beach, we are doubling back towards Liberia and then heading towards one of Costa Rica's most popular attractions: the Arenal volcano. The Guanacaste province that we are currently riding through is the driest part of CR. I guess everything is relative because it's still rainy season and we're still encountering daily afternoon showers. :(

DSCN0532-L.jpg

Bridge helps break up the monotony of a stretch of the monotonous Pan-American

DSCN0556-L.jpg

The road and scenery get more interesting once we hop onto the road to Arenal

DSCN0557-L.jpg

When road of life throws you a curve, just lean into it

IMG_2996-L.jpg

Stopping for lunch to admire the scenery

DSCN0573-L.jpg

Rding around Lake Arenal up ahead. It's an artificial lake made by the Arenal dam for hydroelectric power!

DSCN0587-L.jpg

Passing through Nuevo Arenal. This town was relocated when the lake was expanded in 1979.

DSCN0589-L.jpg

And then, oops...!

Neda had the whole route planned for the day. It was supposed to be a 250km day so we left pretty late in the morning hoping to arrive at the town of La Fortuna, just outside the Arenal Volcano, by early afternoon. Unfortunately, only 30 kms away from our destination, we found the way closed due to a cave-in and construction vehicles were on the scene rebuilding the road. There was a dirt road to our left and it looked like we could have detoured around the roadblock, but this guy told us two people just died in a landslide in that area earlier.

Because that was quite the opposite of what we wanted to do, we turned back to Nuevo Arenal and stopped for the night as the rainclouds were rolling in for the day.

DSCN0594-L.jpg

I found us some cheap accommodations in Nuevo Arenal! $20!

We love it when we find a good place for a great price. This hotel was actually a restaurant with a few rooms attached to it, and we sat out on the patio with a couple of cervezas on the main strip watching most of the population of Nuevo Arenal walk by us.

IMG_3005-L.jpg

Trivia: Neda has a sticker of the Indian deity Ganesh on her bike from our ride up the Indian Himalayas.
Ganesh is known as the "remover of obstacles". We'll see how well he does tomorrow...

The next morning we asked a guy in town how to get to La Fortuna. He tells us to go back the way we came from and that there should be no construction. So we take his word, ride back 20kms and see the exact same construction site. We forgot the golden rule of asking for directions in Latin America: ask at least three people and if more than one person gives you the same answer, that must be the right one...

DSCN0609-L.jpg

So we're doubling back and instead of waiting for the construction to end, we're going to take the long way around, looping all the way north to Upala, around the Tenorio Volcano to arrive from the other side of Fortuna. It's a 250km long detour and most of it was in the rain. But at least there were no landslides.

From our experiences in India and now in Costa Rica, I think Ganesh means "detour around obstacles"...

DSCN0600-L.jpg

Rainy season puddles

We arrive in La Fortuna without incident and plan our next day's activities. There are tons of things to do around here - all the brochures were advertising zip-lining, biking, rafting, tubing, horses. We settled on the most budget-appropriate activity: hiking up the volcano. Neda's favorite activity! Mine... not so much.

arenal-L.jpg

Arenal is too steep to climb, so we're hiking up Cerro Chatto, just to the South-East. From there, there is a small lake in the crater that we can swim in and get some good views of Arenal

DSC_0877-L.jpg

First part of the hike is fairly flat and easy-going. We pass by some older hikers who had to take a break. Haha. Old people...

DSC_0264-L.jpg

Neda finds a great natural parasol

DSC_0887-XL.jpg

About 45 minutes into the hike the trail gets muddier and steeper. While we stop to catch our breath, some college kids pass us.
I thought I heard one of them mutter "Old people", and then laugh...

DSC_0314-L.jpg

We get to the top and had to wait a while for the clouds to part to see Arenal

DSC_0316-L.jpg

Arenal

Once we got to the rim of Cerro Chato, it was a very short hike down the steep jungle-covered crater walls into the green lagoon of the caldera below. Because the crater was larger than I thought. It didn't really feel like you were inside a dormant volcano, but it was still a great refreshing dip after a couple hours of hot and humid strenuous hiking!

DSCF0393-L.jpg

Swimming in the rim of the Cerro Chato crater

We spent a week in the Arenal area about 20 years ago. Good to see the roads haven't changed! Hopefully you'll get a clear evening where you can actually see the red glowing spray at the top. It's pretty spectacular. While you're there, make sure you enjoy the hot springs that flow down Arenal. I think there was a place up stream from the commercial spring where the locals go. Hopefully its still there. Horse riding is also pretty good, if you're into that.

Btw, I'm thoroughly enjoying your adventure. Keep it up, and keep having fun!

I went twice there just to see the volcano do its party trick but both times it was in cloud. The hot springs were great though but very expensive and sitting in a 40 degree hot spring listening to the volcano rumble with a rum and coke in hand, watching Jesus Christ lizards run across the water was unforgettable.

Back
Top Bottom