Questions about Android TV box .. | GTAMotorcycle.com

Questions about Android TV box ..

infernobuster

Site Supporter
For you techie guys/gals ..

I have someone that is offering me an android tv box which has unlimited tv, movies, ufc, sports etc etc .. for a set price.

I dont know anything about these . .can someone shed some light as to how it operates? Do i need to pay for updates?
It sounds too good to be true .. as i would love to get rid of Rogers.

Anything i need to know good or bad about it ?

For you techie guys/gals ..

I have someone that is offering me an android tv box which has unlimited tv, movies, ufc, sports etc etc .. for a set price.

I dont know anything about these . .can someone shed some light as to how it operates? Do i need to pay for updates?
It sounds too good to be true .. as i would love to get rid of Rogers.

Anything i need to know good or bad about it ?

Well whats the name of the device/service its using you to provide this? if there is no subscription it is probably not legitimate so it might only work for a limited time. It way also be legit but only works in the states,

All it is is a media device with android as the operating system with XBMC, which is an app that allows you to stream whatever you want.

you can do this from a laptop without spending a cent.

What you're being offered is an Android box that is running XBMC. All the "free" stuff is through XBMC plugins which are free. If you're curious, you can download XBMC for your computer and try it out.

In my experience, the plugins are ok if you want to catch up on shows and movies, terrible for live tv/sports.

Saying that, you shouldn't be paying more than the cost of the Android box for this (normally $100-120 depending on model). The setup is super simple for anyone with moderate computer skills.

As has been stated, its android running XBMC. It is not a replacement for cable.

If you're paying over $100 you're getting screwed.

If you're looking for a replacement for Rogers, check out VMedia. They are an ISP with unlimited packages and IPTV(All your regular cable channels) that runs off an android box that you can also run XBMC. Reviews are mixed, but I know a few guys who have it and they like it.

Related suggestion:

Re-examine how and what you watch on cable. Determine if its important to you to be able to sit down and just surf the channels until something random and interesting comes on, and then ask yourself if it's all worth your time and money. Are you watching crap just because it's on? Do you need to be watching it?

If you can rid yourself of that habit, everything you actually wanna watch is available for free online. Every Canadian network has their entire lineup of shows available on their sites and through various plugins. You can also get services like Hulu, Crackle, and Netflix for a lot less (or entirely free) than you pay for cable.

After your self-reflection ;) is complete, you just have to figure out which hardware would best serve your needs. Consider an old PC or laptop for 24/7 "home theater" duty. Get a wireless mouse and keyboard, or even just use XBMC with an IR or bluetooth remote. Save your money, ditch cable. You may or may not enjoy this 'android tv' box... just know that whatever they're offering you, you can get it yourself for less.

Related suggestion:

Re-examine how and what you watch on cable. Determine if its important to you to be able to sit down and just surf the channels until something random and interesting comes on, and then ask yourself if it's all worth your time and money. Are you watching crap just because it's on? Do you need to be watching it?

If you can rid yourself of that habit, everything you actually wanna watch is available for free online. Every Canadian network has their entire lineup of shows available on their sites and through various plugins. You can also get services like Hulu, Crackle, and Netflix for a lot less (or entirely free) than you pay for cable.

After your self-reflection ;) is complete, you just have to figure out which hardware would best serve your needs. Consider an old PC or laptop for 24/7 "home theater" duty. Get a wireless mouse and keyboard, or even just use XBMC with an IR or bluetooth remote. Save your money, ditch cable. You may or may not enjoy this 'android tv' box... just know that whatever they're offering you, you can get it yourself for less.

This is true, except there is no current replacement for live tv/sports. If you enjoy live sports, you're stuck with cable

Only sport I watch is UFC, and there are most certainly free live feeds for every event. Can't comment on other sports though.

It's not as easy as clicking the cable box on, that's for sure. Again, gotta weigh your options as an individual.

This box has the wifi built right into it, and thats a bonus for me.

I dont have a hardwired internet cable near by, and not interested in running a pc or laptop system.

Just looking at alternatives to rogers cable .. this came up and thought id give it a go. They are demo'ing the product tomorrow nearby so i may go and see whats up.

You might want to look at a ROKU system, little box that has Bluetooth so no Ethernet cable required and allows streaming of internet TV and Netflix ect. Kind of like apple TV I think, but not apple concentric. Its about $120 at Indigo.

Stlll not sure if streaming tv is "for me", however,

Consumer Reports rates this one as top dog and a best buy.

Roku 3 rated near top too. Apple tv languished near the bottom half of the ratings.

Consumer Reports rates this one as top dog and a best buy.

Bought that and a My Book both on sale last week. ($69 + $109). Pleased with both so far. My Book is a bit slow to upload files hooked in to the router as opposed to the comp (everything hardwired), though.

Nothing can relpace an actual computer. All of the media boxes that have been suggested don't work all that well, they're slow and freeze up often.

You can get everything you want from XBMC, just run it off your laptop and plug the lap top into your tv.

XBMC is free.

Not interested in running a laptop into the tv as i stated earlier ..

Pretty sure everyone's point, including mine, is to try it out for free before you go investing money into a product that you may not like

Then go out and spend your money on any one of these, they're all crap. None of them work well.

They work great if you have realistic expectations of what the product and XBMC can and can't do.

Back
Top Bottom