question about car | GTAMotorcycle.com

question about car

Kuro

Site Supporter
My malfunction indicator light goes on, I go to stealership, they said it is "X" problem. Do you want to fix it for the price of your first born? Not a vital issue so I decide not to fix it then and there. Will fix myself.

Said problem was my temperature sensor is shorted. Need replacement.

Strange thing is, the malfunction light is now gone. If I didn't fix the problem, wouldnt the malfunction light remain lit? Surely the problem wouldn't fix itself.

I would say your malfunction light, if its anything like the engine check light is prone to sensitivity issues. A lot of the time it thinks something might be wrong but its really nothing. IF you have a code reader see what the problem is, check that instrument (in your case the temp sensor) for damage or incorrect positioning, and reset the light. If it goes out doesnt' come back on it probably was nothing. Happens to my dad's older acura occasionally (2000 TL)

Disconnecting, cleaning and reconnecting the problem sensor may entirely fix the issue. Sounds to me like it could just be a flaky connection and with the changing environment (temp/humidity) the connection gets better and worse... Could have just been them moving the connection around that fixed it for now.

its called an "intermittent fault". Loose wiring is primarily the reason...

Depending on the problem, some cars clear the light after 3 or 7 start cycles. The code will still be in the computer, but they realize you aren't doing anything about it. If the CEL comes on again, it is likely a new problem that has popped up (or an intermittent fault).

Thanks for the replies. Good explanations.

Going to go out now and buy a code reader as an investment.

The "replacement required" is probably not that required. Will see if the issue returns.

No, no, the replacement IS required for the financial well being of the dealership.

we'll see in 3 days if it comes back on. then have it checked

Is it that A3? They have horrible connecting plugs!! and just horrible wiring in them. Its like a car from the 80's.

Is it that A3? They have horrible connecting plugs!! and just horrible wiring in them. Its like a car from the 80's.

Its a Volkswagen, what do you expect?? :D

If this is an Audi, buy VCDS, it is worth the money. H2Sport normally stocks them.

H2Sport
203 Guelph Street
Georgetown, ON L7G 4A8
905-702-8299

Thanks for the replies. Good explanations.

Going to go out now and buy a code reader as an investment.

The "replacement required" is probably not that required. Will see if the issue returns.

Back
Top Bottom