PSA - Latest Scam Call - Exit Ontario | GTAMotorcycle.com

PSA - Latest Scam Call - Exit Ontario

sburns

So besides the chinese lady, and other automatic messages, (the CRA one's have died down) this one seems to be on the rise.

I've had 2 of these calls now, and I believe my parents got one. This one is from "Exit Ontario" and the spiel is some public service announcement about door to door sales. The pitch didn't get very far as my only input was "how did you get this number" asked it twice with no response and asked again as she was going through the speech, telling her I was asking a question. Then they hang up. Nonsense.

Anywho might be coming to a phone near you!

i had the CRA call today, it was a mississauga ID number 905-601-3731

I still struggle to believe that the conversion rate on phone scams is high enough to be worth it

I still struggle to believe that the conversion rate on phone scams is high enough to be worth it
I struggle to believe that there are people gullible enough to fall for it. Always read/hear about people getting scammed...but what about those that are too embarrassed to come forward?

I struggle to believe that there are people gullible enough to fall for it. Always read/hear about people getting scammed...but what about those that are too embarrassed to come forward?
My FIL paid $40 because a popup said he was infected with a virus, then $100 because the $40 solution didnt work, then called me when they asked for $200. This is a smart man with multiple university degrees that has worked all over the world. Sometimes our brain doesnt feel like thinking things through and makes poor decisions.

This is a great watch to see how some of these scams work

This is a great watch to see how some of these scams work

Amazing, I got sucked in an watched some more of his videos. I like it when things like this get turned around on the abusers.

'Watched a series of YouTube vids where a guy reverses the IT support call scam...
The one where they get you to download "team viewer" so they can poke around in your PC and lock you out until.you pay a fee...
He sets up a virtual machine or some other wizardry....While they're in there he somehow goes into their computer(s) and starts deleting files or changing their syskey...
Hilarity ensues as "Ben Choad" loses his mind, his call lists an even his own wedding photos...

My FIL paid $40 because a popup said he was infected with a virus, then $100 because the $40 solution didnt work, then called me when they asked for $200. This is a smart man with multiple university degrees that has worked all over the world. Sometimes our brain doesnt feel like thinking things through and makes poor decisions.
I’ve asked my dad a million times what he accepted when online....’not a thing’

then I see how browser with 5 different programs running at all times. Clean his computer at least once every 6 months or so. He smartened up as it’s been a year and no issues.

Latest discussion:
Him: word and excel stopped working
Me: when did you buy the computer?
Him: about a year
Me: trial version ended. You need to buy a new one.
Him: what!? It’s not free for life?
Me: nope. Here’s a key for one of my licenses

I love how MS is pushing the subscription model nowadays. Seems to be the going route for a lot of software.

I love how MS is pushing the subscription model nowadays. Seems to be the going route for a lot of software.
I typically prefer perpetual licences, but MS made them financially non-viable for my use. The last time I checked, two perpetual licences would cost roughly the same as three years of subscription (and the subscription allows 5 devices). I need more than two licences, so Office365 it is.

We use LibreOffice. We've been using that, or its predecessor (OpenOffice) for more than 10 years.
I used to use it for personal use. When I tried using it for business, it was too painful. Some things MS does better that save me a lot of time (and it is still far from perfect).

Back
Top Bottom