PSA for CAA members | GTAMotorcycle.com

PSA for CAA members

Chaos

Hey all, if you are a CAA member and need a tow, they will not allow you to ride with the tow truck operator due to covid.

I had to tow my moto from Bracebridge and learned about it on my call. Fortunately I had a back up, but if I didn't, it would have been a long and frustrating day.

Hey all, if you are a CAA member and need a tow, they will not allow you to ride with the tow truck operator due to covid.

I had to tow my moto from Bracebridge and learned about it on my call. Fortunately I had a back up, but if I didn't, it would have been a long and frustrating day.
Makes sense, but would suck if you are stranded far from home.
That's for the heads-up!

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Does CAA pay for the ride you need?

Nope. You are on your own. They might stay with you until your ride arrives though. My tow driver asked me several times how I was getting picked up. I was ok though so he didn't stick around.

edit: I was wrong. Coverage for this is based on which CAA plan you have.

Last edited:

Depends on your coverage. You can pay for your Uber/taxi home and mail in your receipt for reimbursement. Just call and ask and they can review your coverage and confirm.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Depends on your coverage. You can pay for your Uber/taxi home and mail in your receipt for reimbursement. Just call and ask and they can review your coverage and confirm.

Interesting. I should check that out. I have premier so if that is a thing, I should have coverage.

Interesting. I should check that out. I have premier so if that is a thing, I should have coverage.

13cfecf84775519a6a04fbec6cffe5d4.jpg

I believe the road trip coverage up to $600 is what covers stuff like a hotel, taxi etc when you have a breakdown and need a tow. But, the agent can explain the coverage better.

Last edited:

I stand corrected per above...

Note though: in the automatic voice message they make no mention of the taxi/hotel etc insurance. My bad for not knowing my own coverage though.

Last edited:
I told the CAA customer service rep, that i was going to wear a mask with the driver. Even though they werent too happy about it, they agreed.

They told me i had to get my own ride when my truck broke down at 5 am on the 401. lolz. Right ....

Many tow services are sub contracted by various providers so, I suggest asking what towing company is providing the service. Contacting them directly after the initial call and often they will patch you in with the driver to discuss the arrangements. They actually appreciate it.

Depending on the vehicle they are driving, area, comfort level etc. They can be ok with having passengers. The key is not to assume and keep in mind the agent that dispatches service isn’t always trained to know.

The voice recording is a general response and doesn’t address various membership coverages. As well there are other services coming through the same lines. For instance Canadian Tire has Road Side assistance as well and sub contracts for others such as different credit cards that have road side assistance or manufacturers road side assistance.

Drivers have anything from a pick up truck and dollies to a D class flatbed with crew cab.

I was a dispatch agent back in 97 and dealt with motor homes from southern US breaking down in the Yukon and needing a tow for a breakdown and needing a hotel and van to get their family there and sometimes another tow truck for their boat or tag a long car. And most of it was covered with the right plan.

Again, the tow itself was paid for by CAA or whoever and then the rest was reimbursed submitting receipts.

Here's a beauty.
Buddy is in a rental atm. Ram truck, coming from the Soo yesterday and picked up a nail, causing a slow leak. He called CAA this morning. They showed up, did nothing and left.
Basic CAA covers 5 lug nuts, no more than that. LO f'n L.

Pickups up to F350 or 3500 series are covered as per my CAA agreement letter, although they do say the service may not be available everywhere in the province due to "medium" size equipment being required.

My truck takes a 7/8 wrench, guess that's a medium . I tell my wife its a large.

I was mistaken. He has a "Premium" membership.
The guy that came had a tow truck. CAA, not an affiliate.
He told my buddy: (in very broken English) "I can't service more than 5 lug nuts. It's the rules".
He got it towed a couple minutes ago.

Edit: this is in hamilton, on the east mountain.

"I can't service more than 5 lug nuts. It's the rules".

Nuts!!
I dont like some of those affiliate companies that CAA uses.

A couple of years ago I called into CAA have some swap a wheel on my car and the guy (iirc, from Abrams showed up) (who looked a bit off / light headed) used a socket that bounced around and damaged the finish of my gloss black wheels for 2-3 lug cavities.
I escalated this for 2 days (waste of time imo) but ended up touching it up with gloss black paint myself - not noticeable afterwards.

20150307_200308.jpg

I swear I feel like some of these companies make it so difficult to get issues resolved that they expect you to simply roll over and give up lol.

This other time I specifically asked them to send a Flat bed as I needed a tow home (my car has a fiberglass chin spolier and is rear wheel drive) and they still sent a tow truck.
The driver shows up - he looks and me and I look at him lmao not knowing what to do,
Ended up clearing the CEL code with my diablosport tuner and driving back home myself...sheesh!

Last edited:
7 guys at the crappy tire have taken 1hr 15min trying to put the tire where the spare goes. They can't figure it out and are yelling / swinging at one another while throwing **** which is bouncing, and as yet, nothing hit his rental. He's still waiting.

Back
Top Bottom