Probably a stupid question about side stands | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Probably a stupid question about side stands

I had a problem with the clown that owns tmp more than the facility itself.

I had a problem with the clown that owns tmp more than the facility itself.

Yeah I'm vaguely aware of TMP's current reputation, but I want to see what I currently can get out of it - it's hard to ignore how convenient it is for me geographically

All good advice, maybe someone asked already, but will your bike start with the side stand up?

I paid $56.49 on sale at Princess Auto last Sept. (dixie rd , just north of courtney park)
If you decide on this chock. be careful and choose the right setting (three settings ?) for your wheel size. You don't want to scratch your fairing with the plate flips up to lock your front tire. Put a bit of cardboard between and chock plate and fairing to be on the safe side. later

Last edited:
If you're leaving the center stand on, make sure there's enough clearance for when the bike gets leaned over. I used to have a 599 and just used the rear stand with the paddle to lift the bike up. I'd get off the bike, lean it on my hip while holding the bars, then turn my body around and hug(gently) the tail with my left arm and use my right to position the stand, keeping the weight of the bike on my hip the whole time. Maybe try a few times with a spotter first, just don't try to rush doing it.

If you do the riding into the chock option people have mentioned above, it can be a pain to get your bike out of it if you had toasty tires.

Thanks for all the replies so far! I realized I may have a cheater/cheapskate option - I am planning to rent a uhell trailer when needed and they promise to have a built-in chock. Not the easiest but possible?

P.S. a tiny bit of context - the bike I am planning to use (my otherwise street CB919) does not have provisions for spools. Almost every bike I've ever had has had a centre stand, hence I do not currently have a rear stand that is good for this. I have a rear stand from my brother, but that is a spool stand - can get a paddle/swingarm rear stand BUT spool stands exist for a reason and trying to use a non-spool stand like this may be a disaster.

P.P.S. My bike has a centre stand - I was assuming I would be ok with simply tying that up as well, but it occurs to me that it may not pass tech at all with one installed. Any thoughts on that? Currently shooting for TMP as it is very close to me
I tracked 4yrs using a rear paddle stand. Had a spool get knocked off in a crash and took the threaded piece with it so used a paddle stand as a temp solution which turned into 4yrs as I got used to it and never had a problem. not saying it's the best, but it's doable and worked for me.
Like Amazon stated, you'll be leaned over more on track and you don't want the center stand touching down so make sure before you're at the track that it won't be an issue.

I found a limitation of a spool stand the hard way at Mosport. Went out for a session ... rode without incident ... came back in ... spool on left side was gone! If there is anything on your bike that is capable of vibrating and shaking loose, Mosport will find it. If there is anything on your bike in which you haven't checked whether the bolts were tight, Mosport will find it.

Back
Top Bottom