Probably a stupid question about side stands | GTAMotorcycle.com

Probably a stupid question about side stands

TwistedKestrel

King of GTAM
Site Supporter
Hoping to finally get my feet wet with track days this year. Doing my best to be somewhat prepared, but...

Having to tie-up or remove the sidestand is causing me emotional difficulties. Does literally everyone bring a rear stand? I guess I could get my hands on one, but even then, to put a bike on a rear stand I would normally use the sidestand while I line things up. Is there a secret trick here?

Why not make a pit side stand.
... they have been used for MX and Enduro bikes forever.

Baxley or PA imitation is a really good alternative unless you are using warmers. MX sidestand won't safely hold a 400lb trackbike.

Or even a milk crate if all you need is something to lean the bike against.

I always seem to fumble around with moving my bike around and putting in on the rear stand. I have a cheap rear stand "venom?, though
maybe invest in some decent rear stand?

Just use your side stand but make sure your spring has enough tension to keep the side stand up when you're riding. Not a problem for track days hosted by Rider's Choice and Shannonville (previous owners). Good luck and have fun.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

Why not make a pit side stand.
... they have been used for MX and Enduro bikes forever.

One of the members on here made one for me. It’s the cats ass, especially when going to tech.

a0b9005af81e82b113c07e9e2e645505.jpg

Thanks for all the replies so far! I realized I may have a cheater/cheapskate option - I am planning to rent a uhell trailer when needed and they promise to have a built-in chock. Not the easiest but possible?

P.S. a tiny bit of context - the bike I am planning to use (my otherwise street CB919) does not have provisions for spools. Almost every bike I've ever had has had a centre stand, hence I do not currently have a rear stand that is good for this. I have a rear stand from my brother, but that is a spool stand - can get a paddle/swingarm rear stand BUT spool stands exist for a reason and trying to use a non-spool stand like this may be a disaster.

P.P.S. My bike has a centre stand - I was assuming I would be ok with simply tying that up as well, but it occurs to me that it may not pass tech at all with one installed. Any thoughts on that? Currently shooting for TMP as it is very close to me

Last edited:
Hoping to finally get my feet wet with track days this year. Doing my best to be somewhat prepared, but...

Having to tie-up or remove the sidestand is causing me emotional difficulties. Does literally everyone bring a rear stand? I guess I could get my hands on one, but even then, to put a bike on a rear stand I would normally use the sidestand while I line things up. Is there a secret trick here?

Which track organizers ask you to do this? I've never had to, but I haven't been recently.

Thanks for all the replies so far! I realized I may have a cheater/cheapskate option - I am planning to rent a uhell trailer when needed and they promise to have a built-in chock. Not the easiest but possible?

P.S. a tiny bit of context - the bike I am planning to use (my otherwise street CB919) does not have provisions for spools. Almost every bike I've ever had has had a centre stand, hence I do not currently have a rear stand that is good for this. I have a rear stand from my brother, but that is a spool stand - can get a paddle/swingarm rear stand BUT spool stands exist for a reason and trying to use a non-spool stand like this may be a disaster.

P.P.S. My bike has a centre stand - I was assuming I would be ok with simply tying that up as well, but it occurs to me that it may not pass tech at all with one installed. Any thoughts on that? Currently shooting for TMP as it is very close to me

The UHaul trailer wheel chock will not hold your bike up.

Buy a cheap wheel chock.

you need a wheel chock . the uhaul trailer chock is not gonna work
I bought mine from Princess Auto when it was on sale
Don't get the other chocks listed on PA they are for wider front tires and the sportbike front tire will not be held securely

It’s on for $85 right now. Has it gone cheaper in the past?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I bought mine about 7 years ago for$70. Really good product. Can't remember why i did it, but it held my 900lb goldwing up just fine.

+1 on the wheel chock. I have both the Baxley sport chock and the Princess Auto mentioned above. The Princess Auto is a no-brainer for the price, but it is built to a price point. The Baxley is bomb proof if you want even more peace of mind:

You can still use a zip tie, you can easily break the zip tie off when you are finished on track and coming to your pit area. Used to do it on an old ZX9 that had a weak spring.

Back
Top Bottom