Post up your liquor/spirit talk ? | Page 13 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Post up your liquor/spirit talk ?

PXL-20230423-020948755.jpg

Anyone ever try this? I bought it as a gift for my future FIL.

Costco had amarena fabri cherries. Picked up a bottle and then needed to come up with uses for them.

Today's weapon of choice is makers mark, freshly squeezed lemon, cherry syrup. Shake vigorously, pour into a cold glass, add a few cherries and enjoy.

I don’t know if this is anything to do with getting older but I’m really enjoying Italian bitter booze like Campari and Aperol just with soda. I kind of appreciate the taste a bit more than just going for a sugar rush with many cocktails.

So many of the canned cocktails are almost toxic with the sugar content. I don’t need it / can’t have it , so I pass on many convenient packages .
I was amazed , I was at a sampling of non alcohol content cocktail substitutes, the sugar content would tigger a cardiac condition.
I’d like a packable gin and tonic that wasn’t dangerous.

Sent from my iPhone using GTAMotorcycle.com

So many of the canned cocktails are almost toxic with the sugar content. I don’t need it / can’t have it , so I pass on many convenient packages .
I was amazed , I was at a sampling of non alcohol content cocktail substitutes, the sugar content would tigger a cardiac condition.
I’d like a packable gin and tonic that wasn’t dangerous.

Sent from my iPhone using GTAMotorcycle.com
I haven't had a canned cocktail that I've really enjoyed. All marginal watered down and over sweetened imo. I havent tried the premium mail-order drinks that are $10+ each. Maybe they would be better and they may have something that works for you. I could be wrong though as most of those are flat drinks shipped in plastic pouches.

The upside to a g+t is its simplicity. Depending on the plan for the day, add lemon to a mickey of gin and grab some cans of tonic. No glass, no mess, easily portable, quick to make and just need ice. Obviously you wouldnt want to have that bottle of mixed gin around for too long ( although if kept cool it should be good for a while).

Neighbour was over and wife and neighbour wanted chocolate martinis. No chocolate liquor in the house. Pita. Melted dark chocolate, put in ice bath to cool, prep glasses, put chocolate and baileys in blender to smooth it out (melted chocolate fast so it was slightly lumpy), blender concoction to cocktail shaker full of ice, add vodka, shake and serve. The ladies approved. Made a hell of a mess for one round of drinks though. Next round was mojitos.

Neighbour was over and wife and neighbour wanted chocolate martinis. No chocolate liquor in the house. Pita. Melted dark chocolate, put in ice bath to cool, prep glasses, put chocolate and baileys in blender to smooth it out (melted chocolate fast so it was slightly lumpy), blender concoction to cocktail shaker full of ice, add vodka, shake and serve. The ladies approved. Made a hell of a mess for one round of drinks though. Next round was mojitos.
"Sorry ladies, we're fresh out"

I don’t know if this is anything to do with getting older but I’m really enjoying Italian bitter booze like Campari and Aperol just with soda. I kind of appreciate the taste a bit more than just going for a sugar rush with many cocktails.
Campari is one of my favorites, neat or in the summer over ice.

Adding soda i believe is a British bastardization, to me it’s like mushy peas. Italians do have a Campari-soda cocktail, but it’s properly done with white wine.

Aperol is more of a fad IMHO. Close, but like TripleSec is to GrandMarnier.

I enjoy sipping Grappa from time to time. Usually after a nice veal or sea bass dinner.

Last edited:
As hobby season approaches -- does anyone brew, distill, or blend their own sauce? Not cocktails, full bottles.

As hobby season approaches -- does anyone brew, distill, or blend their own sauce? Not cocktails, full bottles.
I've considered it. Don't have the equipment now. As booze keeps climbing in price, making base spirits seems more viable. I would start with something reasonably flavorless like vodka. I don't think I would make enough to try to perfect good flavored booze like bourbon. Big batches of awful hooch are good for nobody.

I found a cocktail recipe about. a year ago. This was the 2015 Bacardi Legacy winning recipe and is now my favourite. It's called Father's Advice
- 1 shot white rum
- 1 tablespoon Amaro
- 1 tablespoon sherry
- 1 tablespoon vermouth
- 1/2 tablespoon banana or similar cordial
Shake with Ice and serve. Lovely

Back
Top Bottom