Please help with airline info, anyone! | Page 4 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Please help with airline info, anyone!

To avoid someone getting locked in quarantine with you, the recommended (required?) approach is someone drops a car for you at the airport. You hop in and drive home (after an exhausting 24 hour flight, drive safe). Hopefully whoever dropped off you car also stocked your house with two weeks of food. If you dont have a car (or friend that can give you a car for a week or two), you might be able to get a two week rental at the airport? Not ideal for so many reasons though. I guess last resort is airport limo, not sure what restrictions/cleaning fees they are tacking on right now.

You are not allowed to go to a store until your 14 days are up. If you cannot find someone to stock your house, you can get grocery delivery. This will be complicated as most services have four to seven day lead time right now as they are not scaled for this many requests.

In short, the easiest and safest solution is you get someone to help and coordinate transportation and food on this end. Doing it from Mumbai will be tiring at best.

I am under the impression that most airport car rentals are for business travelers. With the various lock downs are they sitting idle or has a new demand come up?

If not are they open?

Airport pick up cars are twice the price of down the street. Any breaks on that?

How long before the rental is safe again, mix of cloth, plastic and metal surfaces?

Does the OP have a parking spot for an extra car? There are so many trickle downs from this thing.

If the OP has someone that can drive the OP's car to the AP with a second car following they drop the OP's vehicle at the parking level and everyone goes home. If yes make sure the car starts if it's been sitting. The pair delivering the car should be from the same household and free of symptoms and risk factors. Basic groceries in the back seat?

I am under the impression that most airport car rentals are for business travelers. With the various lock downs are they sitting idle or has a new demand come up?

If not are they open?

Airport pick up cars are twice the price of down the street. Any breaks on that?

How long before the rental is safe again, mix of cloth, plastic and metal surfaces?

Does the OP have a parking spot for an extra car? There are so many trickle downs from this thing.

If the OP has someone that can drive the OP's car to the AP with a second car following they drop the OP's vehicle at the parking level and everyone goes home. If yes make sure the car starts if it's been sitting. The pair delivering the car should be from the same household and free of symptoms and risk factors. Basic groceries in the back seat?
Those are all reasonable questions. I don't know the answer to any of them. I assume car rental companies have almost no business for the near future so I could see them having a two-week rental special to help with repatriation (the car should be safe from any travel-acquired virus assuming you stay out of it for 14 days after arriving home). I could also see them not wanting anything to do with this and having normal horrendous pricing in effect + a cleaning surcharge. Not everyone has a vehicle that can be left for them, I'm not sure what the approved plan b is (rental/limo/UP express). I would hope that public transit was off limits, but I suspect that would be allowed no matter how ill-advised because canada is ostriching on many of the problems wrt returning citizens.

As for driving the OP's car to the airport, why does it need to be from the same household? Why groceries in the back seat and not in the fridge/counter at home? I know that is ideal, but the theory with mandatory traveller isolation is the infection rate of those coming in is higher than here (which may or may not be true). If the OP is unlucky enough to catch Covid from contact transfer in their car driven by a friend/family member (wipedown of contact surfaces is a good idea), statistically they should be able to get through it at home during their isolation period.

This mess is all new to everybody and the whole world is trying to figure out the safest way through the fog. Personally, I like Australia's approach, everybody goes straight to a government sponsored hotel for two weeks. Exhausted travellers don't need to figure out all of these details and it prevents the inconsiderate wankers from causing problems for the rest of us. Booking the rooms can the the hotels portion of the bailout money as otherwise they would be empty.

Some of the car rentals are not allowing for pick-up at one location and drop off at another due to their own COVID protocols.

Best option is to have someone either leave your car at the airport or to meet you there and "hand" (toss) you the keys to your car (if you don't have the keys) or their car, via physical distancing. If their car, sort it out later. They will need a separate way home.

You absolutely must have someone else pick up 2 weeks worth of supplies/groceries, either have them in the above mentioned car or already in your fridge. Don't be a prick and hit the stores on the way home, which is also illegal now as I understand it.

Some of the car rentals are not allowing for pick-up at one location and drop off at another due to their own COVID protocols.

Best option is to have someone either leave your car at the airport or to meet you there and "hand" (toss) you the keys to your car (if you don't have the keys) or their car, via physical distancing. If their car, sort it out later. They will need a separate way home.

You absolutely must have someone else pick up 2 weeks worth of supplies/groceries, either have them in the above mentioned car or already in your fridge. Don't be a prick and hit the stores on the way home, which is also illegal now as I understand it.
The upside is the vast majority of multiple car households can quite easily get by with fewer vehicles than they own right now. If OP doesn't have a suitable vehicle available (I wouldn't be excited about the safety of a bike ride after that flight ordeal), hopefully they have family or friends that can help them. If it comes down do it, there is always GTAM but personal connections are better for a multitude of reasons.

Time to buy your toy car in BC and drive it home :)
Would love to. Have nothing but time on my hands to look. My ONLY concern right now is...if the COVID-19 results take long AND I'm still in quarantine for another...8 days out of 14 of quarantine, and the gov't closes the borders for inter-provincial travel...I'm 100% ******. If it's 10 days I've got 4 days left from flu like symptoms.

I have not heard anything about them closing inter province travel.

I have not heard anything about them closing inter province travel.
Let's hope not. Only issue to buying a car here is how to register the damn thing if everything is closed. But that's a bridge I'll pass when the time comes.

Post an ad on Kijiji that you are willing to transport someones car (someone that is moving) from BC to Ontario for Free.
You can cover the gas as its cheap now.

Let's hope not. Only issue to buying a car here is how to register the damn thing if everything is closed. But that's a bridge I'll pass when the time comes.

I found you your transport home. :p

Even has side luggage that you can use to pack your 3 pairs of undies into. Once you arrive in Mississauga I will buy the luggage off of you to offset your fuel costs. You can keep the bike as its better than a toy car.
Let me know when you are leaving. :ROFLMAO:

Post an ad on Kijiji that you are willing to transport someones car (someone that is moving) from BC to Ontario for Free.
You can cover the gas as its cheap now.
Yup, once it gets to that stage I'm actually considering that.

EDIT: Back on topic. @Chris-CJ where in Mississauga are you? I'm in the L5C area and if push comes to shove I may be able to grab your car for you depending on when I get home and when you're anticipated. I'm sure I can score some groceries as well as a last resort if you don't have someone close to help out.

Can't buy a vehicle in BC and plate/insure it without having a BC drivers license. All ICBC offices are closed anyway.

sure can
I did it when I was working out there - my Subie winter beater
insurance is expensive for out of province drivers though

sure can
I did it when I was working out there - my Subie winter beater
insurance is expensive for out of province drivers though

Need details!

Asking for a friend who is currently in BC with an Ontario driver's license who wants to buy a KTM EXC 500 F but was told by the dealership that he needed a BC drivers license...

Need details!

Asking for a friend who is currently in BC with an Ontario driver's license who wants to buy a KTM EXC 500 F but was told by the dealership that he needed a BC drivers license...

Why is it that its always the "friends" that have such complicated issues to deal with. Never us. :unsure:
Can the friend not transfer his ON Drivers License into a BC drivers licence. Not that it would be easy to do that now.

Why is it that its always the "friends" that have such complicated issues to deal with. Never us. :unsure:
Can the friend not transfer his ON Drivers License into a BC drivers licence. Not that it would be easy to do that now.

My friend is nomadic and doesn't know if he wants to stay in BC long-term and doesn't want to go through the hassle of changing residency, with all the tax, healthcare and insurance complications.

Need details!

bought the car from a used dealer in Kelowna
went to ICBC Autoplan broker with bill of sale
in-province vehicle so no cert required
provided my Ont DL and temp address in BC - company provided housing
was issued plates, reg and ICBC policy
was not asked to provide any evidence that I had a BC residence or license

caveat is you pay the base rate - no discounts
the same as a new arrival to Canada would pay
you have 60 days to provide an experience letter
and hope to get the discount applied retroactive

edit: and BC does not allow you to have 2 DL's
so if looking to get a BC one